PDA

View Full Version : campshoes

schultz104
04-17-2014, 00:38
Yes or no? If so whay type?

ChinMusic
04-17-2014, 02:10
I am not a big proponent of camp shoes but I am a proponent of shower shoes. I will use those shower shoes at camp, at the occasional water crossing, and in town.

I have used simple flip flops in the past but have recently purchased some Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures at about 7oz a pair.

HooKooDooKu
04-17-2014, 09:33
I like having a pair of camp shoes so that I don't have to put boots on if nature calls in the middle of the night. But for me, even more importantly is having a pair of shoe to wear for the frequent water crossings I encounter given that my primary hiking is done all over GSMNP and not just the AT where you spend a lot of time on ridge lines (and therefore average fewer water crossings per mile that I do hiking GSMNP).

As for type, one of the smallest, yet still provided protection from rocks and toe jams in water crossings is something like the vivobarefoot ultra pure. However, they are pretty expensive at $60 per pair (note that there is also a vivobarefoot ultra for $85... that's the same shoe but also comes with some sort of sock). I've been able to find something similar at WalMart for about $10.

I used to use Croc knockoffs from WalMart... which are much lighter than original Crocs... but they are more bulky than the vivobarefoot and similar shoes.

[Edit]
The shoe I've found at WalMart looks a lot like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/MENS-BUMP-TOE-PERFORMANCE-SANDAL/29017544
But the ones I found last year were a little cheaper (I think) and were solid black, and a little lighter in weight than theses look to be.

Terry7
04-17-2014, 09:38
I only carry crocs when I get up to Maine for water river crossings.

slbirdnerd
04-17-2014, 09:59
There is a very recent thread on the same subject. Skechers flip flops for me. Pair: 6 oz, $15.

SunnyWalker
04-17-2014, 10:09
Well, cheapest lightest pair of thongs. Don't really take them to use in "camp" but in the showers that are public showers along the trail. On the trail I just walk through the water with my shoes. They dry quickly.

squeezebox
04-17-2014, 18:43
I tried thongs as camp shoes put the waist band and butt floss would not fit my feet. And the lacy parts wore out way too fast.
I switched to flip flops.

rafe
04-17-2014, 18:48
Since I started wearing trail runners for hiking, I've given up carrying camp shoes.

bamboo bob
04-17-2014, 20:22
Since I started wearing trail runners for hiking, I've given up carrying camp shoes.

yup, that's the ticket.

Unitic
04-17-2014, 21:51
Vivo Barefoot - recommended here last year...were awesome on my SOBO. very light, comfy and won't come off in fast water.

rusty bumper
04-18-2014, 08:41
I just loosen up the laces on my Merrell Moabs and, voila....camp shoes!

leaftye
04-18-2014, 09:38
Camp shoes are great when I'm spending lots of time in camp, but that doesn't happen much on long backpacking trips. On those trips I'll bring shower flip flops. They fit into my shoes for dual purpose extra padding, which is nice when my feet are sore.

Astro
04-19-2014, 00:26
Vivo Barefoot - recommended here last year...were awesome on my SOBO. very light, comfy and won't come off in fast water.

+1, not as comfortable as crocs, but a lot lighter and easier to carry on your pack.

Deacon
04-19-2014, 05:37
I just loosen up the laces on my Merrell Moabs and, voila....camp shoes!

Yeah, the lighter the trail shoes, the better they double as camp shoes.

SunnyWalker
04-19-2014, 10:50
Yeah, I am trending towards changing from shower flip flogs to "Walmart Croc knock-offs" as one person suggested. They would hold up better and all. I believe the Walmart ones are lighter then the real Crocs (I have both).

shelb
04-19-2014, 21:35
I used to just use flip-flops, but after jamming a couple of sticks between my toes, I switched to Croc-type shoes (purchased at Walmart).

SunnyWalker
04-20-2014, 14:10
Yah Shelb, more protection.