PDA

View Full Version : Springer from Ellijay

Waterbuffalo
01-12-2003, 14:38
Hey Everybody,
I going to Springer nextweekend weekend I always take fs42 coming from the Suches side (20 miles on gravel). has any one come from the other direction as put on the GATC web page? How good are thier directions?

Driving to the AT trail head (Springer Mt.) from Amicalola Falls:
Go West on 52 for 13.7 miles to Roy Road. Turn Right and go 9.7 miles to the end of Roy Rd. Turn right on Doublehead Gap Rd. (no sign) go 2.2 miles turn right on (gravel) USFS 42. Mount Pleasant Church is directly across from FS Rd. 42. There is a fee to park in the parking lot at the junction of the AT and FS 42.

Any Help would be appreciated

WB

Youngblood
01-12-2003, 16:54
Those directions sound about right. It is easier to get on FSR42 from GA52 rather than GA60 if you are coming from Atlanta, as it is only 6.7 miles of gravel road on FSR42 from Double Head Gap road to the parking lot north of Springer.

If you are coming from Atlanta, you don't need to go by Amicalola State Park. Depending on where in Atlanta you are leaving from, you want to go via I-75 or GA400.

If you go via I-75, you take I-575, GA5 and then right (east) on GA52 at Elijay for 5.3 miles and turn left (north) on Big Creek Road (Big Creek Road becomes Double Head Gap Road at some point). Continue for 12.4 miles to Double Head Gap (Mount Pleasant Baptist Church on left) and turn right (east) on FSR42. After 6.7 miles the parking lot will be on your left. $2 per day parking fee.

If you go via GA400, turn left (northwest) on GA136, 31.7 miles past the Mansell Road Park & Ride on GA400. Stay on GA136 for 15.5 miles until it merges with GA183 (northwest). Stay on GA183 for another 2.8 miles where it ends at GA52. Turn left (west) on GA52 and follow it for 12 miles, then turn right (northeast) on Roy Road. After proceeding approximately 9.5 miles on Roy Road, turn right onto another paved road at the stop sign. Travel approximately 2.1 miles on this road before turning right onto gravel FSR 42 opposite Mount Pleasant Baptist Church. Continue approximately 6.7 miles on FSR42 to parking lot on your left. $2 per day parking fee.

Waterbuffalo
01-12-2003, 22:15
Thanks Youngblood! I'll be coming up 400 from Buford/Cumming

WB