PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new UL pack need advice

Alex Stevens
04-18-2014, 17:31
So I have my base weight to just below 10 lbs, to celebrate I'd like to get a new UL or lightweight pack, I figure I'll need to carry a weeks worth of food at a time max for my upper limit, I've looked at the ULA Ohm 2.0 and ULA CDT, the MLD Exodus, the GoLite Jam 50, the Osprey Exos 46 or 48 but I'm having trouble deciding, do any of you recommend any other packs I might be missing, or think that one pack is a lot better than the other? Any advice is appreciated.

Kerosene
04-18-2014, 17:46
I'd also take a look at the zPacks Arc Blast (16 oz, carbon fiber frame, $275): http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

MIA
04-18-2014, 19:30
I just bought ULA Ohm2 made with cuben. The pack weighs 1lb 6oz. It is totally waterproof and they modified the top closure to be just like my old catalyst. I'll be hiking from High Point NJ to Great Barrington Mass. My total pack weight including 1 liter of water is 28 lbs. Cost is $300 including cuben waist belt. Made in Logan Utah!

brancher
04-18-2014, 19:31
I went thru the same thing. Bought an REI Flash 50, it wasn't right for me. Got an Elemental Horizons, wonderful pack, but just not right for me. Looked very closely at the Arc Blast, tried one, felt a little different (not unusual for a new-design external), but I was, and remain, a little suspicious. Finally ordered an Ohm 2.0. Best pack I've ever had. And I've had some great ones. It just fits me perfectly.

But Before you go lickety-split after a UL pack, make sure you have a serious conversation with yourself about your REAL packweight. My experience has been that if a company tells you they can carry X number of pounds 'almost effortlessly' - and they all do - expect X-5 or X-10 lbs to be more realistic. So make sure your 'Monday Load' if you're a thru or sectioner is matched to the backpack.

southern9
04-18-2014, 22:05
I scooped up a granite gear Virga pack on sale for $50. Weighs in at 20oz. I have been slowly modifying it to suit me: added an external back pocket, got a hip belt from a buddy to add to it, plan to add an aluminum stay. I bought it with modifications in mind. Point is, find one that will carry your heaviest load. Ultralight pack are not for everyone. I have never had an ULA Ohm 2.0, but I have never read where the owner didn't like it. If I had the funds at the time, I would bought the Ohm.

Alex Stevens
04-19-2014, 00:01
My Monday load should be around 22 pounds total, I've been leaning towards the ohm 2.0, everyone seems to love it, don't know if I want to go cuben or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
04-19-2014, 05:43
My Monday load should be around 22 pounds total, I've been leaning towards the ohm 2.0, everyone seems to love it, don't know if I want to go cuben or not.

I've found if you go with cuben, you really won't need a pack cover either. Doesn't soak water like nylon.

brancher
04-19-2014, 06:59

Your 'Monday Load' is PERFECT for the OHM 2.0. Mine's 22-23 lbs, and the Ohm really does great - hugs my hips like a lonely debutante at her sister's wedding ..... For me it came down to Ohm versus Arc Blast - I chose the Ohm and am extremely glad I did. btw I have a buddy on a thru right now who is telling me his Arcblast is developing an iffy shoulder strap...

Alex Stevens
04-19-2014, 07:16
This really just confirms what I thought about the ohm! Brancher, do the water bottle pockets seem deep enough? I have a 2L Platypus bottle, I'm thinking that they might be too short

brancher
04-19-2014, 07:41
This really just confirms what I thought about the ohm! Brancher, do the water bottle pockets seem deep enough? I have a 2L Platypus bottle, I'm thinking that they might be too short

I keep a 24 oz water bottle either in a side pocket or attached to a shoulder strap - some say it doesn't work, but I think that's more about knowing HOW to attach them on the supplied shock cord - I have no probs. also, the side pockets are plenty large and deep. I can access water without taking off the pack, and they are big enough to hold my kitchen and my Sawyer squeeze set (and an extra 2l platypus) if I take my 600 ml setup or my 900 setup Short answer, the side pockets are plenty big enough. The front stretch pocket seems a little frail, but it is NOT. I stuff my tarp in there (rolled in snakeskins) and my silnylon poncho. I also stuff my pack cover (it's also silnylon, so it weighs just about nothing) and my trowel in there. The belt pockets aren't humongous, but they are as big as others, and hold snacks, cell phone, and/or leatherman, bandaids, sunscreen, etc.

And they come standard with hydration sleeve and trail wallet inside. Those items as well as belt pockets are extras on other high-end packs.

nastynate
04-19-2014, 08:20
Very happy with my ohm 2.0 as well. The side pocket holds 1 liter smart bottles just fine. It's the most comfortable pack I've used and blows the Exos series out of the water...for me.

thomas5052
04-19-2014, 10:26
I will vouch for the ohm 2.0 as well! Hugs my back and the water bottle pockets are huge! The hip belt pockets are the biggest I've used as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

RodentWhisperer
04-19-2014, 10:54
...hugs my hips like a lonely debutante at her sister's wedding ....

Now there's a metaphor I'll remember! :)

Seriously now. I've used the Jam for years, and it's always fit my needs well. My "first day out" load is usually 22-24 lbs., and the pack has held it comfortably, keeping everything balanced and stable. Over the winter, I bought a used MLD Exodus, and will be experimenting with it this summer.

russb
04-19-2014, 11:00
I would also recommend Gossamer Gear packs.

July
04-19-2014, 12:37
I would also recommend Gossamer Gear packs.
+1 Thumbs up for GG

jimmyjam
04-19-2014, 13:30
I like the Six Moon Designs packs or those by Mountain Laurel Designs.

shakey_snake
04-19-2014, 15:41
Everything I've read seems to indicate that MLD makes some really nice packs, I'm thinking I might go with a Burn, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with the Exodus or a Plague (or whatever the name of the one between the burn and exodus is--I think the names sequentially follow the biblical account of Moses) w/ the optional top lid for whenever you need to bring more food.

mudsocks
04-19-2014, 22:00
http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/dc-taxes-plastic-bags.jpg

Light as air and wicked inexpensive compared to the designer bags everyone is talking about.

Humor!

I have an OHM 2.0 that I like an awful lot, though I'm not sure it qualifies as UL.

Odd Man Out
04-19-2014, 22:24
Check out this one too.

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

nu2hike
04-19-2014, 22:39
Branched, I would be interested in knowing more about the problems your friend is having with his Arc Blast. My current pack is the original ULA Ohm. I've been considering replacing it with the Arc Blast to reduce weight but have been hesitant to place an order out of concerns for its durability. I know that there are several thru hikers using the Arc Blast this season. I will be curious to see how well they hold up!

Alex Stevens
04-20-2014, 13:35
I'm curious about the elemental horizons packs, has anyone used those?

daddytwosticks
04-20-2014, 15:37
I recently picked up a new 2014 Osprey Exos 48. About 2#, 6 oz in weight. Although I've only had it out on two hikes so far, I love this pack. The newer style hip and shoulder pads are very comfortable. I can actually reach my waterbottles in the side pockets. The pack is nicley done and super comfortable with the trampoline-style back suspension. :)

apd07c
04-20-2014, 15:59
For fun, go to the zpacks site and design your own "Zero" pack. It may give you an idea of what to look for in another pack.

Odd Man Out
04-20-2014, 16:09
I'm curious about the elemental horizons packs, has anyone used those?

I recently purchased a Kalais, but have not had a chance to hike with it yet. I can post a review at the end of the summer hiking season. It is a newer company which is why you don't hear so much about them yet.

Alex Stevens
04-20-2014, 16:10
I'm curious, I need a new pack for my section hike this summer in June, have you had a ula pack before? These appear to be the ones I'm comparing to.

Odd Man Out
04-20-2014, 23:55
Sorry I am not really qualified to give a review as I have only used crappy packs before this and haven't had a chance to use my new one. Here is a link from earlier this year where I was asking the same questions. I got some useful advice and bought the Kalais based on some good reviews on-line from people who know a lot more than me. I would say that with these options, you probably can't go too wrong, other than the fact that pack fitting is a very personal thing (like shoes?) and even the best pack in the world may not fit you just right. There is always the buy both and sell or return the one you like least strategy. The customer service you get from these cottage companies is generally excellent.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100805-Circuit-vs-Kalais&highlight=kalais

Alex Stevens
04-21-2014, 04:00
Has anyone tried out SMD Flight series packs yet? I might be interested in their flight 44, but there is little information on how they ride and carry a load. It is Brian Frankle at SMD now, I'm interested if these will be similar to the ULA packs. If anyone has tried one of these I'd like to know what you think!! I'm looking at the Kalais, the OHM 2.0, the Flight 40 by SMD, Gossamer Gear Gorilla, the GoLite Jam 50. I've seen tons of positive feedback for the ULA route. Thanks for all the help guys! Starting to feel part of the community here at Whiteblaze

Venchka
04-21-2014, 08:05
For fun, go to the zpacks site and design your own "Zero" pack. It may give you an idea of what to look for in another pack.

ZimmerBuilt packs get very little mention here. Everybody is all about ULA, MLD, etc., etc. I wonder why?

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/

The same goes for packs from Hyperlite Mountain Gear.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs.html

"Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?" Does anyone have any feedback on Zimmerbuilt & Hyperlite Mountain gear backpacks?

While we wait, I'll give two thumbs WAY up for the Jensen pack from Rivendell Mountain Works. I bought mine from the original company in Victor, Idaho way back in the Dark Ages. I was astounded to learn a couple years ago that the packs were back in production in Seattle. Bulletproof 1000D Cordura construction. Positive weight transfer to your hips. Will handle loads that make the wimpy skimpy packs scream for mercy. Available in two versions: Original & Giant. The external pockets are the best on the market this side of the Mystery Ranch Terraplane. I am strongly considering buying a Giant Jensen to replace my ArcFlex Terraplane for multi-week and/or winter trips.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/about-our-packs/jensen-packs/

Wayne

bigcranky
04-21-2014, 08:16
I liked my original Ohm, except for the hip belt. The Ohm 2.0 fixes that. The rest of the pack is great -- plenty of capacity, good compression, love the stretchy mesh front pocket, etc.

I ended up getting a custom Circuit so I could have only one pack, and it handles my winter gear. But if I wanted a smaller pack for warm weather hiking (when my base is down to around 12 pounds), the Ohm 2.0 would be at the top of my list.

LuckyMan
04-21-2014, 11:25
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack.

Alex Stevens
04-21-2014, 21:18
So I went ahead and got the Ohm 2.0, thanks for all of the help guys!

July
04-21-2014, 21:32
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack.
Here Here...2nd that.

Wolf - 23000
04-22-2014, 09:16
I've been using the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-SilŪ Day Pack lately. It is 2.4 oz with enough room for UL gear and food. I've only used it for a couple hundred miles but I really like it. I don't even notice I have a pack on.

It cost around $30.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Wolf

CalebJ
04-22-2014, 09:32
How's the durability on that pack, Wolf? Looks like an interesting alternative to the Eddie Bauer rippack. Aside from being unnecessarily heavy for a collapsible bag, the Rippack falls apart pretty quickly. If that sil pack holds up okay I might have to pick one up.

Wolf - 23000
04-22-2014, 10:48
How's the durability on that pack, Wolf? Looks like an interesting alternative to the Eddie Bauer rippack. Aside from being unnecessarily heavy for a collapsible bag, the Rippack falls apart pretty quickly. If that sil pack holds up okay I might have to pick one up.

CalebJ,

I have not hiked with it to long but it is surprising a very tought UL pack. It is very durabily for on-trail hiking. My pack has no rips, tape up splits or anything like that. As I said before, I don't even notice I have a pack on. A few time, I had to do the pat-check to make sure it was there.

I know what you mean about packs falling apart. I've tried a couple of UL packs now that you have to be real gental with or else they do fall apart. This pack seems like one of the better ones.

Wolf

QiWiz
04-22-2014, 17:36
So I have my base weight to just below 10 lbs, to celebrate I'd like to get a new UL or lightweight pack, I figure I'll need to carry a weeks worth of food at a time max for my upper limit, I've looked at the ULA Ohm 2.0 and ULA CDT, the MLD Exodus, the GoLite Jam 50, the Osprey Exos 46 or 48 but I'm having trouble deciding, do any of you recommend any other packs I might be missing, or think that one pack is a lot better than the other? Any advice is appreciated.

You are on the right track, but I would also look at Gossamer Gear packs. I have carried gear and food for up to 6 days between resupply on the AT; gear and 9 days of food in Olympic National park and in the Wind River Range in a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. If you want more room than the Gorilla, check out the Mariposa.

Disclaimer: I am a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear, but all of the hiking mentioned above with my trusty Gorilla predated any relationship I now have with the company.

GBarron
04-23-2014, 15:42
I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with the Exodus or a Plague (or whatever the name of the one between the burn and exodus is--I think the names sequentially follow the biblical account of Moses) w/ the optional top lid for whenever you need to bring more food.

I think it's the "Ark" or the "Flood"? Way too much volume in my opinion: room enough for two of every species but no room for first cousins. But better than the "Onan" which spilled everything on the ground.

I'm waiting for the "Lot's Wife" model: a pack worth its salt!

Venchka
04-23-2014, 16:18
You are on the right track, but I would also look at Gossamer Gear packs. I have carried gear and food for up to 6 days between resupply on the AT; gear and 9 days of food in Olympic National park and in the Wind River Range in a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. If you want more room than the Gorilla, check out the Mariposa.

Disclaimer: I am a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear, but all of the hiking mentioned above with my trusty Gorilla predated any relationship I now have with the company.

Follow up question:
Would you use the Mariposa for a 2 week unsupported trek in the Rockies...without the lightest base weight on Earth?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
04-23-2014, 20:57
I have purchased 4 ULA packs, still have 3.

My current favorite pack for weights of 25lb and less, is my arc blast.

fit and torso length, are important. ULA packs will come in discrete sizes that they are not willing to adjust (too many changed panels I guess). It may work for you, it might not. Joe can get the strap placement on the Arc perfect for you. Perfect as in zero weight on shoulders, and the pack does not lean back away from your body.

On my Circuit, the load lifters and chest strap are necessary.
On my Ohm, the load lifters are necessary, chest strap is not
On my Arc, neither load lifters or chest strap is needed. Joe is doing something very right.

I also have a lean 31" waist, and the Arc belt wraps it more snugly, and more comfortably than my Circuits. I put the Arc on and buckle the belt. There is never any readjusting the shoulder, waist belt, and load lifters each time as on many other packs.

shakey_snake
04-23-2014, 21:36
I think it's the "Ark" or the "Flood"? Way too much volume in my opinion: room enough for two of every species but no room for first cousins. But better than the "Onan" which spilled everything on the ground.

I'm waiting for the "Lot's Wife" model: a pack worth its salt!

I hear next year there's two new designs: the Methuselah is renown for it's durability and the Ramesses's Heart pack is hard enough it does double duty as it's own bear canister!