PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Magazine for $16 a year?

Freedom Walker
04-18-2014, 19:45
I just received an offer to receive Backpacker magazine for $16 for 2 years. I have received it in the past. Should I take it. Opinions please.

DavidNH
04-18-2014, 19:49
16$ a year is a great price. Too good to last! By all means go for it and if not happy after two years drop it.

I see you are from Alabama. You may want to consider most of the articles and trips relate to the Western US (ie the Rockies) and those that are of the eastern us are more likely to be of the northeast (Adirondacks, Whites etc). Most of the equipment advertised will be pricier and fancier than most AT hikers will use.

Feral Bill
04-18-2014, 20:25
Also free: Backpacker at many public libraries.

StubbleJumper
04-18-2014, 20:38
I just received an offer to receive Backpacker magazine for $16 for 2 years. I have received it in the past. Should I take it. Opinions please.

If you look around, you can get it cheaper. Check out this link for $5/yr:

http://www.discountmags.com/promos/pickprice/1958/5702/backpacker?

FWIW, I find that Backpacker is really just a glorified advertising circular, but in the winter when I'm not hiking, I really enjoy receiving it in the mailbox. I just don't want to pay very much for a couple of articles and 85 pages of advertisements (and most of the gear advertised are not the best choices in their category).

myakka_
04-18-2014, 20:43
I just renewed mine for like $12.00. Wish I had seen the $5 link sooner. I haven't had it in a while, and folks have said it has become one big advertisement. I am hoping it is still worth flipping through when things are quiet at work.

Freedom Walker
04-18-2014, 21:39
16$ a year is a great price. Too good to last! By all means go for it and if not happy after two years drop it.

I see you are from Alabama. You may want to consider most of the articles and trips relate to the Western US (ie the Rockies) and those that are of the eastern us are more likely to be of the northeast (Adirondacks, Whites etc). Most of the equipment advertised will be pricier and fancier than most AT hikers will use.

Yeah, most of the articles were about trips I could only dream of taking. But, there were a few good tips there but not as good or as many as here on WB.

Different Socks
04-18-2014, 23:28
Had my subscription for years. $16 for 2 years is a good price, but i stopped mine b/c year after year they would talk about the same things, even the same trails in the same states.

Different Socks
04-18-2014, 23:30
BTW, I do p/u an issue here and there.

dmax
04-18-2014, 23:53
I was surprised to see a story on Forrest Fenns treasure in this issue. .. My wife has said for a couple of years we need to go look for it.

Astro
04-18-2014, 23:58
I was really excited when I first started getting it. The more experienced I get, the less value I see in it.

Sugarfoot
04-19-2014, 10:17
I seem to have acquired a life subscription to Backpacker by being a life member of American Hiking Society. I'm glad I'm not paying for it because then I would feel guilty for averaging less than 10 minutes per issue. It used to be a fine magazine back when Rodale owned it, but now it's like Outdoors-Light.

dmax
04-19-2014, 10:37
I find my value is in all the trails they highlight. For example, in October I'm headed to Havasu Falls and then Black Canyon. Followed by some R&R in Vegas. .. The new issue right now is showing a hike outside of Vegas. It's only a small paragraph. The hike is Fletcher Canyon. 3.6 miles. Has a slot canyon, springs, oasis and 4 lakes. .. So now because of the mag I now have a dayhike planned for my trip too.

bamboo bob
04-19-2014, 16:47
I get it free. I'm not sure why but maybe comes with some membership like ALDHA, PCT, ATC, GMC, RHC, FTA, I'm not sure which. I tend to use cottage gear so most of what they advertise is not of interest. I don't buy all new gear every season. But the pictures are nice.

Chubbs4U
04-19-2014, 18:31
discount mags has it for $5 a year.

gof
04-19-2014, 18:56
+1 for the mention of when it was owned by Rodale. It DID use to be a good source of info back them.

I seem to have acquired a life subscription to Backpacker by being a life member of American Hiking Society. I'm glad I'm not paying for it because then I would feel guilty for averaging less than 10 minutes per issue. It used to be a fine magazine back when Rodale owned it, but now it's like Outdoors-Light.