PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes "air core" air mattress

Crazy_Al
09-21-2005, 08:08
I had a problem with a Big Agnes "air core" air mattress. They sent me a free replacement "insulated air core" that was better than what I original bought.
Big Agnes goes out of there way to have happy customers. I am a happy camper.

MacGyver2005
09-21-2005, 10:44
What was the issue? I have had three pads go bad with one identical problem. They would develop a slow leak along the seam, something that cannot be repaired in the field. They were all the rectangular style insulated air core pad. I returned them to REI and have yet to contact Big Agnes, but I do not trust their pads anymore.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Stabes
10-02-2005, 17:24
I also had to have mine replaced as did every single other hiker I know who used one this year. Yes, Big Agnes was very accomadating when it came to replacing them, but there is obviously a problem.

Peter Pan '05

Smile
10-02-2005, 19:10
Do you find that when you sleep on your back in their bags, it's colder than the top with all the insulation? I got that from the diagrams on their website.

MarcnNJ
10-03-2005, 09:48
Hey Stabes, were those issues associated with the air core pads, or the newer insulated air core pads?? Im hoping its the former and not the later....

Youngblood
10-03-2005, 10:46
Hey Stabes, were those issues associated with the air core pads, or the newer insulated air core pads?? Im hoping its the former and not the later....
You know it is a good thing that Leki doesn't make air mattresses. Who would want a Leki air mattress... get it, leaky air mattress?

Stabes
10-03-2005, 14:35
They were all the air core pads, however my replacement pad was an insulated air core pad and it seems to have developed a small leak...

MarcnNJ
10-03-2005, 14:39
Not good......so for someone who is planning on going northbound in 06, and just recently purchased a big agnes sleeping bag and pad, what would you suggest??

Stabes
10-03-2005, 14:46
The leaking problem aside, I loved my Big Agnes, it is a bit of a pain to blow up each night and is kind of noisy, but the comfort is unparralled and it compacts pretty small and is relatively cheap and light. My advise would be to use it until it starts leaking and then have it replaced, they are really quick in getting a new one out to you.

Peter Pan

Youngblood
10-03-2005, 15:02
Will tape work for a field repair? The transparent duct tape is suppose to be better than the regular duct tape.

MarcnNJ
10-03-2005, 15:06
thanks for the advice....i hear ya on the blowing it up part.....maybe to make it easier on my lungs, and to not spring a leak, ill just inflate it 3/4 of the way when being cold isnt so much of an issue....

MacGyver2005
10-03-2005, 15:22
Will tape work for a field repair? The transparent duct tape is suppose to be better than the regular duct tape.
Not for me. The leak was near impossible to find, let alone attempt a repair! I would not recommend them for the Trail until they get their ducks in a row. Once you get stuck for several weeks without any padding after about an hour of sleep, you would trade just about anything for a good night sleep. :datz

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

EMAN
10-03-2005, 22:33
I haven't done any prolonged outings, more than two or three days at a time, on my pad (it is the long insulated core pad and I have the Horse Thief bag as well), but I routinely just stuff pad, still inside the bag, in the bottom of my pack, not being too picky about how it goes in there, and I have not yet had any problems.
But I am preparing to hike the AT thru the Smokies and now I am beginning to wonder....where DID I put that repair kit....?

Almost There
10-09-2005, 02:17
You know Big Agnes also sells a selfinflating pad too. I have yet to use mine, but it is very close in style to thermarest.

sliderule
10-09-2005, 09:50
Pacific Outdoor Products makes a mattress similar to the Air Core. Perhaps it's more reliable. I have not tried it, but speaking to their reps at Trail Days left me with a very positive impression.

lilmountaingirl
10-12-2005, 10:26
I had a problem with a Big Agnes "air core" air mattress. They sent me a free replacement "insulated air core" that was better than what I original bought.
Big Agnes goes out of there way to have happy customers. I am a happy camper.
I bought a BA Insulated Air Core in June ~ after about 14 uses (including a 6 day backpack in Banff), it went flat one night on the Quehanna Trail. :( Turned out to be a faulty valve. I have yet to contact BA because I've heard so many people have had the same issue, and although BA is quick to replace/upgrade for free...it's not worth it to me to risk a good nights sleep, so I went back to my trusty thermarest.

Another of my hiking friends had the same faulty valve issue, got hers replaced and after about 3 uses with the new pad, same problem again. Got it replaced again, only to have all of the insulation in the pad bunch up in one corner.:confused: