PDA

View Full Version : sociopaths

squeezebox
04-19-2014, 07:03
I've enjoyed a number of trail journals.
Listening to the beauty of sitting on a rock watching the sun set, sitting on the same rock watching the sun rise.
Coming across a doe, seeing how it guards it's fawn. Giving it the respect it's asking for.
A field of wild flowers every conceivable color.
the bone deep tired/sore from hiking in the rain for the last 3 days, only expecting 3 more.
Digging deep into your soul.
I expect most hikers are like this.

But what do you do about the sociopaths ?

The guy with a machette on 1 hip and a pistol on the other, telling you the shelter is full !!
with his 2 buddies, and a dog lunging on it's leash ready to tear your face off.
no body else around

the person bragging about the gun he has in his pack

the person with the dog that jumps on and tears your tent.

The person with the dog barking all night long, saying gosh he doesn't do that at home.
!!! But we're not at your house are we !!!

The weekenders that leave 3 cases of beer cans and 6 empty whiskey bottles behind the shelter.

the person who demands a place in the shelter because it's raining hard and he decided to not bring a tent.

Same person who wants to use your water filter, or your stove, he didn't bring one.

I am the center of my universe
You are the center of yours
Parallel universes

I am your friend not your adversary
Respect each other

brancher
04-19-2014, 07:06
Have we met?

atmilkman
04-19-2014, 07:41
It's just the AT.

Pedaling Fool
04-19-2014, 08:41

Geez, talk about Victim Mentality. Your characterization of what one runs into on the AT is way out of step with reality. However, it's true you can run into one of the scenarios above, but showing fear is one thing that should never be part of your response.

You're probably reading too much into what you're reading in TJ. Maybe you should read something about breaking the habit of becoming one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality

loners4me
04-19-2014, 08:43
I dont bring a dog/gun or rambo knife but enjoy people who do. I like dogs but dont want the hassle of bringing mine. I like when other hikers have guns...I get the best of both worlds, zero weight with protection.

Tuckahoe
04-19-2014, 09:15
Geez, talk about Victim Mentality. Your characterization of what one runs into on the AT is way out of step with reality. However, it's true you can run into one of the scenarios above, but showing fear is one thing that should never be part of your response.

You're probably reading too much into what you're reading in TJ. Maybe you should read something about breaking the habit of becoming one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality

+1 and amen!

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2014, 09:16
Stay home.... Find a couch and talk to someone...

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Social-Skills

04-19-2014, 09:18
Listening to the beauty of sitting on a rock watching the sun set, sitting on the same rock watching the sun rise.
Coming across a doe, seeing how it guards it's fawn. Giving it the respect it's asking for.
the bone deep tired/sore from hiking in the rain for the last 3 days, only expecting 3 more.

The guy with a machette on 1 hip and a pistol on the other, telling you the shelter is full !!
with his 2 buddies, and a dog lunging on it's leash ready to tear your face off.
no body else around

The person with the dog barking all night long, saying gosh he doesn't do that at home.

The weekenders that leave 3 cases of beer cans and 6 empty whiskey bottles behind the shelter.

the person who demands a place in the shelter because it's raining hard and he decided to not bring a tent.

Same person who wants to use your water filter, or your stove, he didn't bring one.

Parallel universes

Respect each other
Yea, that is general WB shop talk. Being around a lot of those folks for a short time makes them appear more dangerous than really are. Had you spent more time with them you can see the world more through there eyes. The barking dog thing. What can you say, it can be hard to get a good night sleep near a shelter, lots of characters.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2014, 09:19
I thought YOU were thru-hiking this year.

cwhitt7
04-19-2014, 09:50
Those people sound more like dooms-day preppers getting ready for the zombie apocalypse. A sociopath is a completely different animal (and I say animal, purposely). I know what you mean, but from someone who has first hand experience with a clinical sociopath...I'd rather hang out with the preppers :) but that's just my zero-tolerance policy for lying :)

The dog thing really gets to me. Dog's should be able to obey the "down" "sit" "hush" "no" and "go away" commands without hesitation or fail. The people who have out of control pets either do not put in the time (responsibility) necessary with their animals, or are abusing their purpose (i.e. those dogs don't belong in social settings).

As for guns, I've carried before on backcountry trips. I did 10 days in Glacier National Park and both my partner and I carried (bear spray and sidearms). We had some liberal hippies start in on gun violence and how it should be illegal (blah blah), and about 4 hours down the trail the group walked around a corner about 15yds from a grizzly. We didn't hear a peep about guns the rest of the day, and they were attached to our hip wherever we went (hmmm?). I can see where it would be annoying hearing all the bragging going on who's packing what, but I think of it like a dry-fly or compass...it's just a tool that I might have to use, but hopefully I don't :)

Happy Trails,

Clay

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2014, 09:57
cwhitt7 that last paragraph had me laughing my hiking socks off....

Not Sunshine
04-19-2014, 16:04
I feel that being able to hike/backpack along the AT is an absolute privilege, and I am grateful to those who developed it, maintain the trail, and lobby to protect this gem in the world.

When I meet new people on the trail, I'm friendly and cordial; need to fit one more in this shelter?? Sure!

But I realize that while the majority of people who enjoy the trail are grateful just as I am, there is always someone you'll run into eventually, who believes the the world is their trashcan and they're entitled to ruin whatever they see fit.

This would be the - let's be honest - hostile person with the starving and non disciplined dog carrying that machete - who believes he is entitled to the entire shelter, to allow his dog to snap at others and will feel free to leave his trash behind and write profanity on the shelter walls.

In my opinion, it is an epidemic: entitlement.

Those people are in society and as the AT is a society all its own - we're bound to run across them eventually.

When I don't feel safe, I just leave. [and from previous experience - staying will likely lead to an unrestful night as well as a loooovely case of scabies].

I wish I were kidding.

I know I'm going to get a bunch of heat about how judgmental I am but whatever - I never deface the shelters. I never leave trash behind. I never threaten other people. I keep 13 gallon trash bags in the boot of my car and when I see trash at the trailhead, I pick up bagfuls. And when I take my dog, she's well behaved, as she's been trained; and I always have a leash for backup in case someone is afraid of her at the shelter.

When I'm out, I focus on hiking my own hike. I'm grateful for the opportunity to do that! And I try to avoid the entitleds as much as possible. [yes, I just made that word up]. Keeping perspective on how beautiful the trail is and how lucky I am to enjoy it, helps me to forget (and forgive) the jerks.

Certainly it would be miserable to never be grateful for how much beauty there is around us while out in nature.

bangorme
04-19-2014, 16:14
Sociopaths are usually quite friendly btw. None of the characters you mentioned sounded like sociopaths, but unique people... which I might argue is the most common personality trait of backpackers anyway. If you backpack, you are probably pretty unique and just don't realize it.

bamboo bob
04-19-2014, 16:15
Really. Maybe one of those things occur in 2000 miles. Get real. Not victim mentality its just a sheltered kid who worries about too many things that might possibly sort of happen to some other guy that you partially heard about. Fear triumphs over reality.

Sheriff Cougar
04-19-2014, 16:20
I agree, unless they are sociopaths! Hahahahaha.:banana

Sheriff Cougar
04-19-2014, 16:23
Those people sound more like dooms-day preppers getting ready for the zombie apocalypse. A sociopath is a completely different animal (and I say animal, purposely). I know what you mean, but from someone who has first hand experience with a clinical sociopath...I'd rather hang out with the preppers :) but that's just my zero-tolerance policy for lying :)

The dog thing really gets to me. Dog's should be able to obey the "down" "sit" "hush" "no" and "go away" commands without hesitation or fail. The people who have out of control pets either do not put in the time (responsibility) necessary with their animals, or are abusing their purpose (i.e. those dogs don't belong in social settings).

As for guns, I've carried before on backcountry trips. I did 10 days in Glacier National Park and both my partner and I carried (bear spray and sidearms). We had some liberal hippies start in on gun violence and how it should be illegal (blah blah), and about 4 hours down the trail the group walked around a corner about 15yds from a grizzly. We didn't hear a peep about guns the rest of the day, and they were attached to our hip wherever we went (hmmm?). I can see where it would be annoying hearing all the bragging going on who's packing what, but I think of it like a dry-fly or compass...it's just a tool that I might have to use, but hopefully I don't :)

Happy Trails,

Clay

Agree, agree, agree. I would be your best friend after running into a grizzly!

myakka_
04-19-2014, 16:37
Hmmm I am probably closer to the Doomsday prepper than most, but that's because I work in disaster response, and live in hurricane central. So we have extra supplies for when things go sideways. That being said, anyone who is telling you about his firearm is NOT the guy you will probably ever have to worry about. He is someone looking for acceptance, prestige, or whatever he thinks that discussion will bring. The fact that he is discussing his weapon is a mark of immaturity since he doesn't know if you are a gun hater, or a gun "taker" LOL. He is not a threat.

Anyone who is really a "prepper" is not going to discuss what he has with him. He will keep his mouth shut and talk recipes, ultra light equipment, food storage, etc. People who have concerns that lead to prepping are often quirky, but seldom dangerous. So he is NOT a threat.

The only threat out there is possibly a real sociopath, and you will never know that he is one. Part of that sickness is the desire and ability to "hide" themselves. But relax, true socio's are few and far between (thank goodness).

And my last thought on this is that when I read the title, I thought someone was being clever......
socio- paths Trails where people are sociable :)

I was sort of disappointed to find that this was a real thread and not a witticism. LOL.

cwhitt7
04-19-2014, 17:36
The only threat out there is possibly a real sociopath, and you will never know that he is one. Part of that sickness is the desire and ability to "hide" themselves. But relax, true socio's are few and far between (thank goodness).

You nailed it.

Chair-man
04-19-2014, 22:36

no body else around

Something like this just happened to a hiker the other day >Read This (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=450340)

Don't know if you call these people sociopaths, I think A-Holes is would be a better term.
One thing you can do is try and hook up with another hiker and not hike alone.

BZ853
04-19-2014, 22:48
I'm always much more worried about the guy who doesn't talk and tries to hide instead of the overly showy people. I know what they have.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Socalhiker87
04-20-2014, 00:14

Happy Trails,

Clay

When I go hiking in Bear country I carry and get some nasty looks. I'm sure if a bear came around I won't be getting those nasty looks anymore. Great story Clay!

Bobby
04-20-2014, 08:14

no body else around

Parallel universes

Respect each other

these are all issues that one will encounter at shelters or communal camping areas. Easiest way to deal with them is to avoid them. Sleep in a tent in the middle of the woods by yourself or with people that you choose to be with while camping. Situations like this are kind of rare on the PCT where there are no shelters. Maybe only near road crossings or very common camping areas - don't like what you see or get a bad vibe - move along and use your tent.

kayak karl
04-20-2014, 08:28
you just didn't hike far enough into the woods.

vamelungeon
04-20-2014, 08:36
these are all issues that one will encounter at shelters or communal camping areas. Easiest way to deal with them is to avoid them. Sleep in a tent in the middle of the woods by yourself or with people that you choose to be with while camping. Situations like this are kind of rare on the PCT where there are no shelters. Maybe only near road crossings or very common camping areas - don't like what you see or get a bad vibe - move along and use your tent.
That's it. Why on earth you would go into the woods to sleep in a nasty wooden box full of people is beyond me.

bangorme
04-20-2014, 08:37
I'm always amused when people assert that those hiking the AT are anything other than a subset of the American population. Included among them are some nice people, some jerks, and some dangerous people. Keep in mind that many sections of the AT are used for recreational purposes completely divorced from thru-hiking. A couple years ago I happened onto a shelter in NH that was completely full of teens smoking pot and drinking. They were there for one night just for that purpose. They didn't bother me and I slept in my tent as I always do.

People get robbed, raped, assaulted, murdered, and "disappear" on the AT... just like they do everywhere. The only way to increase your safety is to hike with someone you KNOW and avoid people when possible. But, that's up to you.

Pedaling Fool
04-20-2014, 09:55
Communal living never works. That is why the original intent of the AT is far from reality. That is also why hippies can not live together in nature :) http://sectionhiker.com/benton-mackayes-appalachian-trail-essay/

Excerpt:

3. Community Groups

These would grow naturally out of the shelter camps and inns. Each would consist of a little community on or near the trail (perhaps on a neighboring lake) where people could live in private domiciles. Such a community might occupy a substantial area — perhaps a hundred acres or more. This should be bought and owned as a part of the project. No separate lots should be sold therefrom. Each camp should be a self-owning community and not a real-estate venture. The use of the separate domiciles, like all other features of the project, should be available without profit.

These community camps should be carefully planned in advance. They should not be allowed to become too populous and thereby defat the very purpose for which they are created. Greater numbers should be accommodated by more communities, not larger ones. There is room, without crowding, in the Appalachian region for a very large camping population. The location of these community camps would form a main part of the regional planning and architecture.

These communities would be used for various kinds of non- industrial activity. They might eventually be organized for special purposes — for recreation, for recuperation and for study. Summer schools or seasonal field courses could be established and scientific travel courses organized and accommodated in the different communities along the trail. The community camp should become something more thana mere “playground”: it should stimulate every line of outdoor non-industrial endeavor.

4. Food and Farm Camps

These might not be organized at first. They would come as a later development. The farm camp is the natural supplement of the community camp.

Here is the same spirit of cooperation and well ordered action the food and crops consumed in the outdoor living would as far as practically be sown and harvested.

Food and farm camps could be established as special communities in adjoining valleys. Or they might be combined with the community camps with the inclusion of surrounding farm lands. Their development could provide tangible opportunity for working out by actual experiment a fundamental matter in the problem of living. It would provide one definite avenue of experiment in getting “back to the land.” It would provide an opportunity for those anxious to settle down in the country: it would open up a possible source for new, and needed, employment. Communities of this type ar illustrated by the Hudson Guild Farm in New Jersey.

Fuelwood, logs, and lumber are other basic needs of the camps and communities along the trail. These also might be grown and forested as part of the camp activity, rather than bought in the lumber market. The nucleus of such an enterprise has already been started at Camp Tamiment, Pennsylvania, on a lake not far from the route of the proposed Appalachian trail. The camp has been established by a labor group in New York City.

They have erected a sawmill on their tract of 2000 acres and have built the bungalows of their community from their own timber.

Farm camps might ultimately be supplemented by permanent forest camps through the acquisition (or lease) of wood and timber tracts. These of course should be handled under a system of forestry so as to have a continuously growing crop of material. The object sought might be accomplished through long term timber sale contracts with the Federal Government on some of the Appalachian National Forests. Here would be another opportunity for permanent, steady, healthy employment in the open.

shelterbuilder
04-20-2014, 11:41
...People get robbed, raped, assaulted, murdered, and "disappear" on the AT... just like they do everywhere....

Actually the percentage of these crimes ON THE A.T. is substantially lower than "everywhere" else, and for that very reason, when it happens, it always makes national headlines. I've been hiking the A.T. for over 40 years, and I've only run into 3 people who "gave me the willies"...and I moved on.

bangorme
04-20-2014, 14:18
Actually the percentage of these crimes ON THE A.T. is substantially lower than "everywhere" else, and for that very reason, when it happens, it always makes national headlines. I've been hiking the A.T. for over 40 years, and I've only run into 3 people who "gave me the willies"...and I moved on.

What do you mean by "percentage of these crimes?" The population density on the AT is much less than that of Phair, Maine, and I can't remember the last murder in Phair. But, the point isn't to make a comparison between the AT and Chicago, but to say that one should not expect that everyone they meet on the AT is going to be a good person. Everyone isn't. And btw, to get back to the OP, when I said going with someone you know, I meant you know BEFORE you leave. Having met several sociopaths professionally, most were quite engaging (think Ted Bundy). So expecting to pick someone up on the way isn't what I was talking about.

But I never hike with other people and just avoid them to the degree I can.

greenmtnboy
04-20-2014, 14:18
I never encountered threatening behavior hiking the A/T, and I am a pretty tolerant person, have had my share of greedy opportunists trying to prey on my good intentions over the years but never while hiking.

Sociopaths? Paranoia! Why get worked up about traumatic experiences as the OP apparently has had? There are tons of remedies for hikers experiencing grievances and frankly I am more concerned about the white-washed neat freaks who want to bring their utopian ivory tower ideals into every facet of life including the highly refined corridors of well-established and protected hiking trails. Plus the term "sociopath" has fallen out of favor among the psychology establishment, just as narcissism has been dropped by the latest DSM.

So please try to use better terms when starting threads than pop psychology buzz words.

Lemni Skate
04-20-2014, 16:43
I agree, a well behaved dog is a lot of fun to encounter on the trail. A dog jumping at my dinner bowl, or trying to bite my son, is another thing.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-20-2014, 17:03
I usually just give them a snickers bar then show them my bazooka

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2014, 17:05

Bazooka? The are lots of more lightweight options for rocket launchers.

shakey_snake
04-20-2014, 17:16

That's only appropriate on June 21st.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-20-2014, 17:21
not into UL weapons I like the heavy backbreaking stuff

johnnybgood
04-20-2014, 17:32

Haha , I saw what you did there. :D

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2014, 17:34

I think that a weedwacker would be more effective that day.

Hill Ape
04-20-2014, 17:34
problem with most of the shoulder fired missiles, they are one shot, fire and forget. the tube is simply dropped and crushed.

not very LNT friendly, but a javelin would be impressive on the trail though

NY HIKER 50
04-20-2014, 19:27
First of all, if you're carrying a gun, why are you telling everyone about it? That sounds like a bully pulpit or very adolescent. Also, anyone with a dog should be able to control it or leave the trail. I avoid the shelters altogether and just pick up water and keep going until it's too dark. As for people like that, I try to avoid them and stay away. Remember, there's more out than in and the homeless shelters and insane asylums usually give a map to the AT upon discharge.

Mags
04-20-2014, 21:09

no body else around

Parallel universes

Respect each other

Damn..that is one busy weekend. :D

SunnyWalker
04-22-2014, 02:33
A true sociopath? Leave them, be polite and walk away and keep your life and possessions. Hey, I don't hijack threads! (Huh, huh)

TOW
04-22-2014, 07:34

no body else around

Parallel universes

Respect each otherYou just walk on.......

NY HIKER 50
04-22-2014, 11:48
You just walk on.......

There's something to be said about being a loner. But, you meet people and just say hello and like he said, keep going and don't let anyone see you go into the bushes at the end of the day. I don't care what any regulations say, I have had too many times where I packed up in the middle of the night and had to take off. It's not sociopaths that you're thinking about. It's called ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR on the part of some of the people.

I don't need to stay in a shelter and listen to a bunch of immature idiots saying that someone came along and ruined their great high.

Drybones
04-22-2014, 21:33
Stay home.... Find a couch and talk to someone...

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Social-Skills

Agree...do the rest of us a favor and stay home...alone!

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2014, 21:41
It's irrational to pretend we are completely safe.

Kookork
04-23-2014, 01:34

no body else around I call this guy a Bully or Jackass not a sociopath.

the person bragging about the gun he has in his pack I call this one an scared hiker

the person with the dog that jumps on and tears your tent. This is an ignorant and/or irresponsible person not a sociopath

!!! But we're not at your house are we !!! This one is an ashamed person not sociopath

The weekenders that leave 3 cases of beer cans and 6 empty whiskey bottles behind the shelter.They are just irresponsible selfish hikers not sociopaths.

the person who demands a place in the shelter because it's raining hard and he decided to not bring a tent.This is a desperate possibly ignorant individual

Same person who wants to use your water filter, or your stove, he didn't bring one. How about calling this one a demanding or needy hiker and not a sociopath.

Parallel universes

I am your friend not your adversary ( by calling a very diverse group of people all in one label as harsh as sociopath you are not showing too many signs of friendship in your comment IMO).
Respect each other Agreed on this one

rickb
04-23-2014, 04:36
Agreed on this one

The odds would suggest that you are correct.

That said, there are a small number of really evil people out on the Trail-- regardless of the label you put on them. The families of 5 thru hikers (yes, thru hikers -- all many hundreds of miles in to their hikes) and one long distance section hiker who were murdered on the AT proper can attest to that. Among others.

But there are a small number of bad people wherever you go, right? So why bother stating the obvious? Everything needs to be put in perspective, right?

To my way of thinking it is because the question that the OP posed and so many are dismissing is actually a very good one. Why? Because when you are on the AT you make decisions and assess things differently than in your regular life. It may be that your ownership of the Trail and shelter areas in particular cause you to stick around a questionable character where in another place you would not.

So yea, I do think it is worth thinking about what you would do if you met a sketchy person on the trail before you get out there. It can too easy to say "**** it" and stick around "your territory", or interact with questionable characters as if they are at worse just an just an ass that you can either educate, dismiss or ignore.

But when it is obvious the person really is just an ass, like in many of the OPs scenarios, that is all together different. You deal with that very similar to anywhere else. You just want to be more certain before you reach that conclusion

Theosus
04-23-2014, 21:51
I've taken a gun on a few hikes. I tend not to usually, because of the weight. Maybe I should only put three bullets in it, save an ounce.

But I've never told anyone "I'm carrying!" it's safer that way... No one is going to try and steal it when you're sleeping or crapping or getting water. And: if the occasion arises where you feel it is needed, well heck, let your adversary enjoy the surprise!
Anyone bragging about their gun on a hike is probably someone to steer away from.

MuddyWaters
04-23-2014, 22:02

no body else around
You want to stay with this guy? OK, no problem them

What about the thru hikers that leave whiskey bottles, trash, broken gear, mouse-nibbled food, etc?

Not your problem, unless its the smokies and he has a reservation, then its his right.

Dont want to lend your gear, then dont. The only persons Ive witnessed borrow these items were because theirs failed, and others offered theirs to them.

Parallel universes

Respect each other

Pretty much all the above scenarios, are avoided if you avoid disgusting, mice infested, trash strewn, loud shelters. But, thats a personal choice.

BZ853
04-24-2014, 02:49
This is just a response thread.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Meriadoc
04-24-2014, 06:28
All you need is love.
Love don't cost a thing.
The hardest to love are those who need it most.

Love,
Merry

HikerMom58
04-24-2014, 08:48
All you need is love.
Love don't cost a thing.
The hardest to love are those who need it most.

Love,
Merry

I love this Merry! I feel like the people that come into my life come for a reason. I'm the one that gets "freaked out" sometimes. If I could just let the love flow right through me, it would be sooo much better. I'll keep trying, I won't give up!

I just heard the this song this mornin. Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRvrbDVYdAA&feature=kp

Blue Mountain Edward
04-26-2014, 12:56
I met the most annoying homeless person on the C and O canal towpath last year. Was camping at a hiker biker campsite with a broken water pump and I heard him yelling and cussing about the lack of water. He was on a Mongoose cheapo bicycle it should have been no problem. He came down to complain and try to mooch of him. Said his trailname is Marine and he sometimes lives on the AT. Said he got no money, no food, no coffee, no cigaretts. I gave him some instant coffee and told him to go to Cumberland Md for the help he needed. He said he could kill someone for a cigarette 3 times. Eventually he realised I aint going to give him no food, money or cigaretts and left. I was glad to see him go as he was making me mad. So be like a Boy Scout, be prepared and bring enough to share. And beware of sociopaths.

Bronk
04-27-2014, 09:05
I'm finding it a little ironic that two of your scenarios are two sides of the same coin...what do you do when you want in the shelter and some sociopath won't let you in....and what do you do when some sociopath wants in the shelter and you don't want to let them in...hmmm...who is really the sociopath here? When you ask, "What do you do about the sociopaths?" are you asking a philosophical question about how do you live with yourself?

HikerMom58
04-27-2014, 10:59
I met the most annoying homeless person on the C and O canal towpath last year. Was camping at a hiker biker campsite with a broken water pump and I heard him yelling and cussing about the lack of water. He was on a Mongoose cheapo bicycle it should have been no problem. He came down to complain and try to mooch of him. Said his trailname is Marine and he sometimes lives on the AT. Said he got no money, no food, no coffee, no cigaretts. I gave him some instant coffee and told him to go to Cumberland Md for the help he needed. He said he could kill someone for a cigarette 3 times. Eventually he realised I aint going to give him no food, money or cigaretts and left. I was glad to see him go as he was making me mad. So be like a Boy Scout, be prepared and bring enough to share. And beware of sociopaths.

I hear ya.

Here's what I think: We all have issues. Some are more problematic than others. Some may have physical and or mental issues. One can find help/ treatment, if one reaches out for help. Many do not. Some choose to "self medicate".

This can become a problem for themselves & others if proper treatment is not pursued.

Sooo..."heads up" everyone! Be the eyes and ears of the trail to keep yourself & everyone else safe. That is all.

Wolve
04-27-2014, 21:13
One can find help/ treatment, if one reaches out for help. Many do not. Some choose to "self medicate".

This can become a problem for themselves & others if proper treatment is not pursued.

Many people with mental health issues are not able to reach out for help.

Sooo..."heads up" everyone! Be the eyes and ears of the trail to keep yourself & everyone else safe. That is all.

I love this though! Everyone would be safer if we all look out for each other.

HikerMom58
04-27-2014, 21:57
Many people with mental health issues are not able to reach out for help.

This is true Wolve. Some need lots of support that just isn't there for them sometimes. :(

I love this though! Everyone would be safer if we all look out for each other.

I agree, of course!! :D