PDA

View Full Version : Stecoah Gap parking safety

Trashman4851
04-19-2014, 10:08
Planning on a section hike, either starting or ending at Stecoah Gap.... I have seen the notes in this link - http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/ - and it mentioned vandalism, but that was 2006.

Anyone know if there are still issues in that area ??

Slo-go'en
04-19-2014, 11:17
Stecoah Gap is on a reasonably busy highway, so I would think the risk is minimual, although there is always a risk anywhere you park overnight or for a few days.

Just take the usual percausions of leaving nothing valuable in sight to temp anyone. I leave my doors unlocked in the hope anyone who wants to rumage around inside can do so without breaking a window - if thier smart enough to try the door first.

Gambit McCrae
04-25-2014, 09:16
I have parked there with no problems for a weekens in 2010. I think that this kind of thing happens from time to time but rumors build and everyone thinks it happens. Just take everything out of your car, and I put a sign on the driver side window "be back in 20 minutes". People dont know when you started so you must be "right around the corner" and I have never had any problems.

MuddyWaters
04-25-2014, 19:45
Stecoah is really busy road. That can work for, or against you.

Violent Green
04-25-2014, 22:47
Parked there for a section hike a couple weeks ago with no issue. Of course, it was also thru-hiker season so very busy with hikers and trail magic folks. I did quite a bit of research before parking there and didn't find anything outside the norm.

Ryan