PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partner?

Bonitajeff
04-19-2014, 13:56
I plan a thru-hike starting mid April 2015 as a flip-flop starting northern Va. or somewhere near mid-trail. I am 68, good health and would enjoy a hiking partner... at least to start, and see if our pace is compatible. Not looking to speed hike, but hope for slow & steady. From reading other trail journals it appears that not many hiking partners stay together very long as paces and goals vary a great deal. I would enjoy at least starting with someone. :-?

Hillbilly Mac
04-19-2014, 23:15
I'm not sure when my buddy & I are getting on the Trail, but I'm a Disabled Veteran that'll be 38 & my Disabled Vet buddy will be in his 40's...if we start in late MAR/mid-APR like we're planning, if the timing lines up, I'd be happy to, at the very least hike for a bit & talk with you & hear your story. One way or another, keep me posted "old man", because folks like you amaze me! Take care!

Bonitajeff
04-21-2014, 12:08
Old man? Oh yeah, I guess that would be me.... at least my birthdays say I am that age. My wife and I have decided that we are 55, and will remain that age forever.
Where will you be starting from? I want to miss the worst of winter and I think starting in Va in April will allow a fairly early finish in Maine, then a fall completion through the Smokies.

Photog
06-08-2014, 10:40
I started the trail this year at Springer but stopped after 50 miles due to knee problems.....most likely due to my weight. Plans are to take off more weight and try again next year. I am also planning a flip flop starting at Harpers Ferry northbound to Katahdin, then having my wife pick me up and take me back to HF where I will head south to Springer.

Ricky&Jack
06-08-2014, 12:08
I started the trail this year at Springer but stopped after 50 miles due to knee problems.....most likely due to my weight. Plans are to take off more weight and try again next year. I am also planning a flip flop starting at Harpers Ferry northbound to Katahdin, then having my wife pick me up and take me back to HF where I will head south to Springer.

what was your full pack weight?

50 miles is still a helluva hike