PDA

View Full Version : alcohol fuel on a train?????

jimmyjob
09-21-2005, 08:32
i am taking the train(amtrak) to harpers ferry this weekend...to start my section hike. i was wondering if i was going to be able to take the alcohol fuel i have already purchased....the rules and laws have changed so much lately and beides i have never taken a train.....

Red Hat
09-21-2005, 19:13
When I got off the trail at Harpers Ferry, I was carrying a canister for my pocket rocket. Nobody checked my backpack, and I didn't volunteer the info, so I just carried it. Red Hat

karensioux
09-27-2005, 15:35
I just took a train too with a bottle of alcohol...noone asked a thing...looked at anything....didn't even want to check my id.
K

i am taking the train(amtrak) to harpers ferry this weekend...to start my section hike. i was wondering if i was going to be able to take the alcohol fuel i have already purchased....the rules and laws have changed so much lately and beides i have never taken a train.....

Ender
09-27-2005, 15:55
I'd say check their website and see if they have their restrictions posted. If not they're sure to have an informational number you can call and ask. Of course, you could always just bring it anyway.

Actually, if it's denatured alcohol, I don't think there are any restrictions, since it's no more flamable than grain alcohol, and you're allowed to bring that. Can't hurt to check though.

Jack Tarlin
09-27-2005, 16:02
It is illegal to carry flammable liquids on a passenger train.

The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry, which is a great store, is a three minute walk from the Trail station and will fill your fuel bottle for pocket change.

Ender
09-27-2005, 16:42
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]It is illegal to carry flammable liquids on a passenger train.[QUOTE]

I'm curious... does this include liquids like vodka, grain alcohol, scotch? If so, well I've broken the law more than once without even knowing it. Hmmmm. gosh I hope that's not the case.

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2005, 16:49
perfume, aftershave?