PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Mount Pleasants Scenic Area (Central Virginia)

FlyPaper
04-19-2014, 20:45
I'm planning a section hike and will be ending a long day going North to South at Brown Mountain Creek.

I was trying to prepare alternatives in case I ran out of daylight.

Can anyone tell me the camping situation in Mount Pleasants Scenic Area?

Also, what about Long Mountain Wayside (at US 60 Crossing)?

scudder
04-19-2014, 23:04
At Hog Camp Gap there's a large grassy meadow with a strong spring which will be @ 300 yards off trail to your left if you are going southbound.Great spot. If you continue, there is no camping on the summit area of Cold Mt, Beyond the summit, there's a shelter 1/2 mile off trail and downhill to the left at Cow Camp . nice spring as well. It's a 4 mile downhill to rt 60 from the fork to the shelter. If you get to the road, might as well go to the shelter at Brown's it's not far off.

04-20-2014, 09:20
Long mtn wayside has a picnic table is grassy, but it is right off the road, and very loud and vehicles, big trucks and such pull in and out all night long. I would walk on to Brown mtn, shelter it is a slight down for 2-3 hundred yards going south and then flat following a creek/small river. Mt pleasant scenic area, lots of good camping off Hotel trail, big meadow with lots of logs seat around camp fire rings 1 mile from the parking lot, about 4 miles on is the cow camp gap shelter .5 off the AT which has tons of tent sites.

skell23
04-20-2014, 19:47
I second 1234 - if you make it to Route 60 continue on to the shelter - you are almost there. I took my daughter out there for her first trip and we made it from 60 to the shelter in less than an hour. If you are planning on tenting or using a hammock continue on past Brown Mountain Shelter until it crosses the creek (50 - 75 yards) - there is a beautiful tent site right by the creek. If you get tired after passing Cow Camp there are a few forest/fire road crossings that might provide some tenting options.

Rick Hancock
04-20-2014, 20:14
Yeah, it's not a good idea to try and camp at long Mt. Wayside. There is a ton of traffic including 18 wheelers all night long. The hike south bound is really easy .5 miles or slightly more then flat for a mile or so. The shelter is to the left a bit uphill from the trail. There are some nice tent/tarp sites across the log foot bridge. Pretty section of the trail, one of my favorite areas.

FlyPaper
04-22-2014, 13:58
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like US 60 is a place to avoid.

I went back and looked at my notes. The place I am really curious about was about 1 mile north of US 60. It says there is a campsite about 0.5 miles east of the trail along USFS 507. Does anyone know anything about that campsite? Like for example could a group of 8 guys camp there?