PDA

View Full Version : Used backpacking gear ay or nay?

Socalhiker87
04-20-2014, 00:22
I am just curious what everyone's thought is on buying used backpacking gear. If you could by lightly used gear at 40% to 60% off retail would you?

CalebJ
04-20-2014, 00:34
Absolutely. If it's been well taken care of, used is a great way to go.

OCDave
04-20-2014, 00:52
Never a sleeping bag or quilt but, otherwise yes.

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2014, 00:53
I am just curious what everyone's thought is on buying used backpacking gear. If you could by lightly used gear at 40% to 60% off retail would you?

Given that your signature line includes a link labeled as "Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear!" I consider this a loaded question...

OCDave
04-20-2014, 01:25
Now I just feel cheap and violated

CalebJ
04-20-2014, 01:31
Same here.

gof
04-20-2014, 02:43
And only 6 posts? Hmmm.

And yes, I know my post count is not high, but then I don't ask (very) loaded questions.

Deb
04-20-2014, 06:36
If you can afford new gear, researching it and anticipating it is a big part of the thrill. But you can save major bucks by buying lightly used tents - especially - and backpacks. As said above, I wouldn't consider buying a pre-owned sleeping bag - unless it still had tags and had never been slept in.

No need to be rude, the OP asked a legitimate question. He's trying to get feedback from the hiker community, nothing wrong with that.

Grinder
04-20-2014, 07:18
as a dedicated frugalist, used is the only way to fly. I always try used first.
I guess, if cost was no object, new would be fine, but lets face it, cost IS a MAIN object!!!
I've never had a bad experience with the forum here.
I can try a brand and resell it for 10% off easily if it's not quite right.

Tuckahoe
04-20-2014, 07:28
I would never buy used bedding but I do get outdoor clothing at thrift stores. But in the end I usually do not buy used gear for the simple fact that most folks are asking for near retail prices. If I wanted to pay retail I would buy new.

Why the chastising? There is not a rude post and it has only been pointed out that the OP is a commercial post.

Meriadoc
04-20-2014, 07:47
Pretty sure asking for information about a potential business is allowed :). Advertising on the other hand is for those banner ads!

To the OP's question:
I buy used backpacking gear. I do business with individuals, getting a feel for them. Personal communication is always important. I always ask "why are you selling it?" I don't think I would buy many items from a store that's selling used unless I could inspect the items or have them guaranteed to have been inspected. Even then, I doubt I would purchase sleeping bags or clothing - both items I have purchased from people here on Whiteblaze.

Hmm, to backtrack a bit, I live near IME and they have a consignment shop in their basement. If the right piece showed up there, I would purchase it - clothing and sleeping bags included. Seeing it in person is a huge component.

I would not purchase a used water filter.

bangorme
04-20-2014, 08:42
I'd have no problem buying gear, with the exception of sleeping gear, used. The problem is that it is very seldom less expensive than new gear on sale. If it is, then it is beat up and a poor investment. I looked for a used tent on craigs list a few years ago and anything I found was within 20% of the new sticker price. That's a price I can always buy new gear for. It would have to be at 50% or less of the sticker price and in almost new condition before I'd buy it.

Malto
04-20-2014, 10:42
Very high quality UL gear will often sell at 80-90% retail. I have even seen 100% retail when the gear in question has long lead time new from the supplier. I have bought several things used and all have worked out.

CalebJ
04-20-2014, 12:50
Pretty sure asking for information about a potential business is allowed :). Advertising on the other hand is for those banner ads!

To the OP's question:
I buy used backpacking gear. I do business with individuals, getting a feel for them. Personal communication is always important. I always ask "why are you selling it?" I don't think I would buy many items from a store that's selling used unless I could inspect the items or have them guaranteed to have been inspected. Even then, I doubt I would purchase sleeping bags or clothing - both items I have purchased from people here on Whiteblaze.

Hmm, to backtrack a bit, I live near IME and they have a consignment shop in their basement. If the right piece showed up there, I would purchase it - clothing and sleeping bags included. Seeing it in person is a huge component.

I would not purchase a used water filter.
To me, the OP reads as thinly veiled advertisement for an existing business.

Agreed on buying sleeping bags and clothing used after an inspection. I've even purchased a bag on eBay from a seller that claimed it had only been used once or twice. There were pictures of the bag showing it lofting up fully and I took a chance (out the door for about $175 instead of $350-400 new). Very glad I did, that bag has seen lots of use for the last six years and is still holding up great.

Probably wouldn't buy a filter used in general since a lot of the new ones are designed as single use (like the Sawyers). The ones with replaceable elements wouldn't bother me so much because they can be cleaned and a new cartridge installed. Would have to be a great deal though.

QiWiz
04-20-2014, 17:21

I have done this dozens of times. If I like the item, I keep it. If it ends up not being ideal for me, I will resell. On eBay, I've sometimes gotten more for it than I paid in the first place. Important to make some assessment of the seller, especially if it's an expensive item (like high quality down). But it can save many $$$.

Socalhiker87
04-20-2014, 22:48
Thanks for all the answers guys! I felt like this was a great site to get some input from experienced hikers and backpackers. I am at the beginning stages of starting a used outdoor gear retail shop in Southern California. I've been hiking, backpacking, and camping for many years. I love the idea of working in a field that makes me happy. I've heard if you love your job you will never work a day in your life. Also, I don't claim to know all and I enjoy asking other's opinion especially from members of this forum, it's one of the best ways to learn. You can find some of the most passionate and knowledgeable people about a topic from forums like this. Thanks again. I apologize to the guys that felt cheated. That's you honest opinion and I respect that! Happy trails!

slbirdnerd
04-21-2014, 09:19
Chiming in on the used sleeping bag subject. I wouldn't buy a used low-end bag or a bag from someone I wasn't familiar with. I DID buy a used Western Mountaineering down bag from a fellow WB'er. It's the only way I would be able to buy such a quality bag.

gof
04-26-2014, 01:20
I am glad you posted a clarification. The next part is just my opinion...I would have liked to see that explanation included in your first post.

MuddyWaters
04-26-2014, 05:48
Ive bought and sold a bit of gear. Used, high quality gear, is a great way to go. Just like lightly used used cars are too.

But, just like cars, I would never buy them from a dealer. By default, they no longer become a good bargain when a 3rd party gets involved and tries to make money off of them. Usually way overpriced IMO.

I dont see used gear as being a high margin business when people already have ample places to sell their gear to others. High quality gear sells within MINUTES on BPL. Sometimes withing SECONDS of being posted.

Cheap gear , doesnt sell at all. People look for lower prices on high quality items they dont want to pay full new price on due the very high prices. If I cant get like-new gear for ~65% of the new price, Id rather just buy it new. No sense taking risk to save $30 on an item, $150 is a different story.

leaftye
04-26-2014, 06:36
I dont see used gear as being a high margin business when people already have ample places to sell their gear to others. High quality gear sells within MINUTES on BPL. Sometimes withing SECONDS of being posted.

I've been told it can do okay. The example I was told was of a guy that gets used gear from rich touristy towns like Mammoth Lakes, and then selling it elsewhere. It really makes a lot of sense too since on this forum and others I hear about people finding nice wool and down gear at thrift stores, but I can't find anything like that here unless it's in really nasty shape. I've never seen prices for decent down sleeping bags on craigslist anywhere close to what I see here and other backpacking sites.

rhjanes
04-26-2014, 08:14
A lot of my hammock gear is used. Purchased from hammock forums dot net users.

Sent from my Plactim Clatue communication device

bamboo bob
04-26-2014, 09:44
I always buy new but I've sold lots of stuff on WB and Craigslist. I just want to get rid of it so I give people a good deal.

Bronk
04-26-2014, 13:54
For me it would depend a lot on what it was. I'd only buy a used tent if it were one of those deals where they bought it and used it twice and didn't like it. It would have to look damn near brand new. Something like a stove or a water filter, as long as it worked and was a good deal I'd consider it. I wouldn't buy used clothing or a sleeping bag.

Realistically, many of us beat the hell out of our equipment so there's not much used stuff that I would consider worth paying money for. Though there are some gear geeks out there that spend more time collecting gear than backpacking, and those kinds of people may have some lightly used stuff that you could get for a bargain as long as they aren't too proud of it. I've seen quite a few people trying to sell used hiking gear on ebay and they want 80 to 90% of the retail price. Sorry, for 10% I'll buy new rather than risk buying used.

Theosus
04-26-2014, 18:09
I would consider used gear, depending on the seller's comments.
Just a few examples:
"Jetboil stove system. Used a few times, going to go stoveless from now on, don't need it".
"Hennessy Hammock expedition. Only used twice: Hate the hammock, bought a tent"
"Bought pack too large, used on six trips over winter. Great condition, buying smaller pack"
"Ordered wrong size (insert hiking clothes here) - cannot return, cannot wear!"

Pretty much anything that the original owner determined was a mistake for his camping style that may fit in with my camping style would be okay.
I wouldn't buy a used bag or quilt, but that's just me. At this point I have pretty much what I need. I'm making DIY improvements in small areas, such as packing and rigging,
but unless something tears up or fails on me, I don't see myself needing any new gear besides shoes and pants in the foreseeable future.