PDA

View Full Version : boots or trail runners?

One More
04-21-2014, 00:15
So I have a paid of Keen boots that I normally hike but I recently got a pair of new balance trail runners. Any thoughts on which would be better for a ga/bc section hike?

The keens are comfy but heavy.

CalebJ
04-21-2014, 03:39
Have you tried hiking in the trail runners yet? If they're comfortable on you, go for it. Nothing -wrong- with boots, but a lot of us have migrated over to lighter hiking footwear over the years without looking back.

bigcranky
04-21-2014, 08:22
It's really an individual decision. I switched over from big heavy boots to trail runners years ago (April of 2000, I remember the hike very clearly.) Trail runners are fine for the AT in the South for most people, but they are different and you'll need to try them out before committing to a long hike in them.

The upsides for me are: much less fatigue, especially in my legs, and no blisters. Also, trail runners dry very quickly, so I don't worry about them getting wet. I do like wool socks with my trail runners.

fredmugs
04-21-2014, 08:52
Trail runners with a caveat: I own 3 different pairs of NB trail runners. I just got a pair of Leadville 1210s that I intend to take on my upcoming PCT hike. I also have a pair of much lighter ones (can't remember the model number) that I would never hike in with a full pack because they are too light, don't have Vibram soles, and the bottom of my feet would take a pounding.

I'm currently wearing a pair of MO889s that I would take on a shorter hike where the trail is easier (no rocks, roots, etc) and my pack is fully loaded.

slbirdnerd
04-21-2014, 09:16
Boots for winter (slower, shorter, slogging in the snow/muck kinda hikes) and trail runners for summer. I am new to the trail runners but had them out with a full pack a couple weekends ago on an overnight. Very happy with them. The only issue I had was with them loosing up throughout the day and feet sliding in my shoes a little--just need to retie them periodically I think. I wear Asics Gel Scout trail runners.

QHShowoman
04-21-2014, 10:09
Whichever you're most comfortable with. There's nothing about the GA terrain that would require specialized footwear.

RedBeerd
04-21-2014, 12:23
I use both and pretty much find them equal, very slight preference to trail runners.. But Im happy grabbing my boots or grabbing my New Balance. For me it comes down to when and where I'll be hiking. Try both and it won't take long to decide!

kennajm
04-21-2014, 12:39
I picked up some NB 810V3's last week and hiked in them over the weekend with a full pack.

Pros: Dried quickly, no blisters, weigh nothing
Cons: I definitely missed the thick sole of my Vasques. Some of the rocks underneath hurt a little

I think I've switched over to the trail runner camp though. They were brand new when I hit the trail and I didn't have anything close to a hot spot, much less a blister. Can't say the same thing for my boots. However, I'd still use the boots for winter hiking.

Trail.BlazR
04-21-2014, 13:08
Whichever you're most comfortable with. There's nothing about the GA terrain that would require specialized footwear.

To add to this sentiment I agree with, I used to hike in Asolo boots, but the fatigue got to me enough I went to a pair of solomon pro trail runners, which I do not regret, and also have put a couple of hundred trail miles in Maine, which is considerably more difficult in Terrain than GA. I typically hike with 30-ish lbs on trail runners.

Astro
04-21-2014, 13:42
It's really an individual decision. I switched over from big heavy boots to trail runners years ago (April of 2000, I remember the hike very clearly.) Trail runners are fine for the AT in the South for most people, but they are different and you'll need to try them out before committing to a long hike in them.

The upsides for me are: much less fatigue, especially in my legs, and no blisters. Also, trail runners dry very quickly, so I don't worry about them getting wet. I do like wool socks with my trail runners.

+1 on still using wool sock with your trail runners. Last summer for my 4 week section on the AT I switched to trail runners and tried Under Armor running socks. The socks wore out pretty quick. I will stick with wool from now on.

HooKooDooKu
04-21-2014, 14:13
I personally prefer boots... but that is because the bulk of my hiking is in GSMNP where there's lots of unbridged stream crossings. With a pair of water-proof boots, I can step in water upto about 5" deep without getting my feet wet. That depth combined with rock-hoping gets me across 80% of the unbridged stream crossings without having to stop and change into water shoes.

By comparison, the AT stays more on ridges where there are fewer stream crossings. So I understand thru hikers that would prefer trail runners.

full conditions
04-21-2014, 14:46
I was reluctant to change from boots to trail runners and I did it in stages - boots to lightweight boots to "walking shoes" to running shoes. It's been just great - but - I did it in conjunction with lightening my pack load at the same time. My only regret was taking so long to make the change.

Raoul
04-21-2014, 23:40
I've used trail runners for a couple years but had numerous instances where I was close to rolling my ankle. I've made a change to Merrell Proterra Mid Sport.
It's practically a hybrid between a trail runner and a boot. It has the flexibility of a trail runner but still offers ankle protection. It also weighs less than a standard hiking book. So far, I've had no problems. They're a bit pricy but was well worth the investment.

http://www.rei.com/product/856070/merrell-proterra-mid-sport-gore-tex-hiking-shoes-mens

joshuasdad
04-22-2014, 13:08
+1 on Solomon trail runners and wool socks in Georgia. I may need to move to some boots for New Hampshire next week, and am dreading the possible blisters, slower miles, etc...

FlyPaper
04-22-2014, 15:43
So I have a paid of Keen boots that I normally hike but I recently got a pair of new balance trail runners. Any thoughts on which would be better for a ga/bc section hike?

The keens are comfy but heavy.

I expect you'll do fine in trail runners. I switched 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I now wear the same shoes to work as I wear on the trail. One less item to forget when packing.

And GA / NC sections generally are not too rocky.

Dogwood
04-22-2014, 19:05
Trail Runners: for higher mileage per day UL wt kit carrying hikes on established well maintained trail (like the AT section you're hiking, PCT, etc) when in that go go go thru-hiking mode AFTER having been been thoroughly physically strengthened and conditioned in my lower half(ankles, knees, legs, etc) AND hips, shoulders, and back AND IF I have no other physical issues(hip, back, joint, etc problems)

Boots: NOT ALL boots are extremely heavy or cumbersome!. Some newer lighter wt boot models blur the lines sometimes resembling a mid cut light wt hiker/trail runner. Use for lower mileage days, carrying heavy loads(like in winter or extended backcountry trips), bushwacking, uneven rocky terrain(scree, talus, ridgelines bushwacking, some swamps, etc), especially when in the mountains at or above treeline.

Andy P
04-22-2014, 21:35
I just recently switched from the asolo drifter gv to the asolo piuma. I love the drifter and I'm definitely keeping them for winter hikes, but the piuma seems to be better suited for a thru hike. The piuma's aren't waterproof, highly breathable and quick drying, have the ankle support I'm looking for and they're super light at under two pounds for the pair. I have had ankle problems in the past and these give me the confidence of a boot with the feel of a trail runner. A little pricey, but I'll definitely get my money's worth out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
04-22-2014, 22:51
I'm liking my Keen Voyageurs (low top). So they are not really boots (low cut and well ventilated/not waterproof with mesh panels), but not really trail runners either. Best of both or worst of both, depending on your perspective. I wore them every day all winter (and we got 120 inches of snow and much below zero weather). I will need to replace them for summer hiking and have thought about trying some trail runners (been to a few stores to try some on). But I have a rather boney heel and need something with a deep heel cup. That and the generous toe box on the Keens will probably bring me back.

12trysomething
04-24-2014, 07:37
With the average mile taking about 2,000 steps I say go lighter. I switched to New Balance MT1010 a year ago and never looked back. At 7oz per shoe compared to a boot at 1.5 pounds I am saving the need to lift 1,000 pounds per foot / mile.

Good luck!

sjd0397
04-24-2014, 07:46
waterproof boots for winter, light breathable trail runners for the summer.

peakbagger
04-24-2014, 10:42
I posted this in another tread, I use NB MT810s in the whites but do use a Montrail heat moldable insert in place of the insoles they come with. They had a rigid rear section which provides some additional protection from rock hopping. The arch is definitely more pronounced than the NB insoles. I thought they were two prominent initially but after a couple of weeks of hiking they are just right for me.

MuddyWaters
04-24-2014, 21:08
Except for snow and ice, trail runners all the way.
And even for light snow, use goretex socks or seal skinz with them.

Don's Brother
04-24-2014, 21:36
I hiked in Brooks Cascadia trail runners every step of my 2013 thru-hike. I never had a blister and needed four pair. Many others were also hiking in the Cascadia including thru-hikers, Trucker, ZMan, Salad Days, Goose, and Burning Man. I heard many positive comments from those wearing them.

squeezebox
04-25-2014, 02:53
I have a severed nerve in mid calf left leg, and subsequent planter's neuropathy
A very stiff sole appears to be better for me.
Any advice from someone else with a messed up foot would be appreciated.
Boots for me, at least for now.

jimmyjam
04-25-2014, 06:47
I have a severed nerve in mid calf left leg, and subsequent planter's neuropathy
A very stiff sole appears to be better for me.
Any advice from someone else with a messed up foot would be appreciated.
Boots for me, at least for now.

I like keen voyages. Roomy toebox stiff sole good traction. I had a bunionectomy on one foot and it has always been subject to getting sore from walking. Also i have a partially severed tendons in the arch of the same foot from stepping on a beer bottle. Trail runners seem to hurt my feet too much if i do over 10 mpd .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Feral Bill
04-25-2014, 16:38
I wore trail runners today collecting fossils in a steep, rocky area. Boots would have been better. Hiking, I'll stick with the runners.

Spinning Nock
04-26-2014, 01:52
Unless it is below zero, I wear sandals, either Teva or Keen. and I have a pair of cheapo neoprene wetsuit shoes for stream crossings. I don't really see the need for hiking boots, ever. I did used to wear Whites boots when I was cutting trees for firewood or building log cabins, but i was always grateful at the end of the day to take those heavy things off.

July
04-26-2014, 10:07
With the exception of winter time, trailrunners all the way.

Duramax22
04-26-2014, 17:29
unless its winter i wear solamon wings xt3 trailrunners and with never go back to boots.

Theosus
04-26-2014, 18:14
On my multi-day hikes I used my keen open-sided shoes with wool socks. Seems weird but they work great. No blisters, no rub spots. I did have some problems with the heel strap pulling on my achilles tendon and my left foot was really sore afterwards.
I went back to plain old keen shoes, with wool socks. I prefer them to big high topped boots. Never could get into the trail runners personally... I tried the skeletons and some other minimalist shoes, didn't like them at all.

I have done some bare footing, but that's another story entirely. Usually I do that on known ground - ground that I have walked before. Im good for about a mile, then its shoe time again.