PDA

View Full Version : Current conditions on the mass section of AT

Hunter87
04-21-2014, 12:26
was just wondering if the snow is gone yet.

rafe
04-21-2014, 13:07
It's gone at the trailheads (Rte. 7, Rte. 183, Rte. 2) but remains at the higher elevations. The auto road to Greylock summit is still closed.

RedBeerd
04-21-2014, 17:27
I just hiked to bear mountain (a mile from MA border) and there was no snow and maybe 50 total feet of mud. I imagine its similar in MA

Hunter87
04-21-2014, 20:26
redbeerd: Well that sounds encouraging.
rafe:how much snow is left at elevation do you think?
I would like to do the section from vt to ct as long as there isn't too much snow.

rafe
04-21-2014, 21:16
I have no idea how much snow remains at the AT summits. I can tell you that along Rte. 57 in southwestern MA, at the higher elevations, there were still patches of snow here and there along the side of the road where shade was prevalent. That was on Saturday morning, two days ago.

Slo-go'en
04-21-2014, 22:16
Summer like today here in the woods of the Northen Prezies. Snow levels took a big hit today, except for the usual snow fields and ravines up high. Those will take a while to melt, but the surface snow is pretty much gone to at least 3800 feet.

I suspect farther south it's all gone or will be very soon. Maybe a few isolated patches here and there. I took a short hike today and the steep parts which were a stream a week ago no longer have water flowing down them, but I did hit patches of snow in the spurce tree zone where the trail had been packed down and mud in the hardwoods. Just keeping track of the trail is half the challenge. No black flies yet, but thier thinking about it.

With rain tomorrow and Wensday, expect the trail to stay on the soggy side, but effectively snow free.