PDA

View Full Version : Pack recommendation, please?

slovakiasteph
04-21-2014, 16:10
I have a Go-Lite Odyssey I picked up used somewhere along the way. I used it this weekend and liked it-- very comfortable, and didn't make my neck hurt at all. However, it's too large for the type of backpacking I do (90 L, I think?). Has anyone used this pack and also a smaller one (around 50L) that they liked? I also like the bottom zipper so I can access my food and tent easily.

HooKooDooKu
04-21-2014, 17:03
What's wrong with being a little too oversized if the fit is comfortable?

From what I can find, your pack should only weight about 3.5lbs. That's still much lighter than many smaller packs I've seen.
Yea, you can find lighter... but even then the lightest backpacks I can quickly find at say REI are still about 2.5 to 3.0lbs.

But at this point, why spend $$$ if you've found something you like... that is assuming there are other places you would like to try to update your gear (sleeping bags, tents, cookware, etc).

Venchka
04-21-2014, 17:08

From what I can find, your pack should only weight about 3.5lbs. That's still much lighter than many smaller packs I've seen.
Yea, you can find lighter... but even then the lightest backpacks I can quickly find at say REI are still about 2.5 to 3.0lbs.

But at this point, why spend $$$ if you've found something you like... that is assuming there are other places you would like to try to update your gear (sleeping bags, tents, cookware, etc).

Right on! Compression straps will make any pack smaller. The fabric part of my 95 liter pack can smash down to day pack size.
What if someday you want to go someplace where you will need a bear canister? Hey?
"Better to have the size & not need it, than to need the size and not have it."

Wayne

Venchka
04-21-2014, 17:11
It is not as large as you think. In fact, it is just about the perfect size for a variety of outings.

GoLite Odyssey (Women's), 1.42 kg (3.13 lb), 64 L (3900 cuin), Medium, Large. *Note that Women's Medium is about the size of a Men's Small (which does not exist). The length of the whole back of the harness is about 540 mm (21.25 in) on the Men's Medium and 500 mm (19.7 in) on the Women's, with the extra length on the Men's harness being split equally between the height of the hip belt and the rest of the back padding. This is the same as for the Quest.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/golite_quest_golite_odyssey#.U1WJBvldX38

If it works for you, keep it and use it.

Wayne

slovakiasteph
04-21-2014, 18:01
I think it's a men's pack, so probably a medium. I actually can't roll it down far enough so that it's tight with what's in the pack because of the tall stays in the back. I completely took off the top part.

If I can find something lighter, though, by about a half pound, I'd be happy (trying to lighten my pack!). I have some cash to use at REI, so I've been looking at new packs. I have a GoLite Jam as well, but that's just a bit too lightweight for what I was putting in it, and it didn't fit me as well.

Thanks for the replies so far! I very well might use this for my next section...

Venchka
04-21-2014, 22:32
Use your sleeping bag and or clothes loosely stuffed to take up space.
Look at the REI Flash line of backpacks. They are sometimes silly cheap. They get good reviews online and in person. A friend loves his.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Drybones
04-21-2014, 22:43

).

If it's comfortable I'd have to agree but my packs just dont carry the way they should if they're not reasonably full.

Venchka
04-21-2014, 22:46
I gave my granddaughter an Osprey Kyte 46 last year. She loves it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

thomas5052
04-26-2014, 10:36
There are plenty of packs that are much lighter weight (comparitively) than your current pack. If I were you I would check out the Gossamer Gear Gorilla, it's got rave reviews and weights 1lb 11oz. Another popular pack is the ULA Ohm 2.0 which is a tad bigger than the gorilla, but still under two pounds. With both of these packs you wouldn't want to put more than 30 lbs ever, but under 25 would be optimal. Do you know your base weight?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
04-26-2014, 12:35
It is not as large as you think. In fact, it is just about the perfect size for a variety of outings.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/golite_quest_golite_odyssey#.U1WJBvldX38
If it works for you, keep it and use it. Wayne

64L sounds more reasonable then 90! A 90 L pack would be huge! 64L is a pretty good overall size. That's the size I use in spring/fall for extended trips. I only go smaller in the summer when I can get away with less clothes or short trips with a minimum of food.

It's always good to have a selection of packs for different kinds of trips, so I'd keep what you got now and look for a 45-50L pack to use when you don't need to carry much.