PDA

View Full Version : tuscarora trail

beachbunny
04-21-2014, 17:43
well,you all know I was looking for something quick to do before the season started at the beach. thanks you all for the suggestions ,i I have settled on the Tuscarora trail because it is close and i can still get my yayaayas before the madness begins.
any suggestions?
thanks I advance. BB

johnnybgood
04-21-2014, 21:20
For starters,you're going to need a map. Also I'd suggest reading articles and any trail journals out there.

Additionally ;
Cookerhiker, a long time WB member, has hiked the Tuscarora. Send him a pm with questions.

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2014, 21:28
Been there its rough in spots making the claims about Pa Rocks very real. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSphiXj9uKvH71Rfvr-akVZ58p-qcswty57uQOxjOvP5Yw8PRpFMg

handlebar
04-22-2014, 00:06
Might want to check my trail journal. I hiked it fall 2012: www.trailjournals.com/handlebar.

You will need guidebook and maps, both available at patc.org.

Beware of deer ticks. If you don't wear permethrin treated clothing, check midday, again in the evening, and also first thing each day.

Water is a serious issue since the trail runs on high, rocky ridges that make the AT rocks look like cream puffs. Often a long way between water sources.

On the other hand:
The trail is often on the ridge top. The views will be great this time of year.

There a good number of shelters, most fairly new.

You'll probably have the trail to yourself.

PM your email if you want a copy of my hike plan spreadsheet.

Handlebar

beachbunny
04-22-2014, 09:26
maps are already inbound.
i'll read the journal and the pm is inbound
thanks for the input,i figured water would be a issue

Spirit Walker
04-22-2014, 12:33
There are other trails in PA that are easier and more fun to walk. We hiked the TT several years ago and I would never do it again. If you want a pre-season warm-up, the Susquehannock or Quehanna are much nicer.

handlebar
04-22-2014, 20:43
Susquehannock is 85 mile loop and Quehanna is 75 mile loop. Both are very nice. Both will have a lot of ticks this time of year. On the Susquehannock you go thru a small town that (at least 3 years ago) has a post office where you can leave a mail drop. Same town also has a small motel, a bar/restaurant, and a convenience type store.