PDA

View Full Version : NY section hike

hopetofinish
04-21-2014, 22:11
Looking at the AT shuttle list, there are very few options for shuttles north of Bear Mountain in NY. I am looking for a shuttle from the NY 22 ( near the train station) trailhead back to the Bear Mt Inn. Anyone know of someone who might do this. Hope to hike the w/e of May 9. Thanks

Feral Bill
04-21-2014, 23:43
You could take public transport through the city.

perrito
04-22-2014, 00:10
Check the cab companies around Bear Mtn. Ive been considering using them for day hike shuttles.

Starchild
04-22-2014, 07:48
As mentioned a loop through NYC. There is train service near Bear Mtn Inn and bus service to it.

You also could use Dutchess County Bus to get from Pauling to Poughkeepsee then take the train from Poughkeepess to either Manatou station (infrequent service but 1.3 miles from the AT at south Mtn Pass and 1.8 miles to the Bear Mtn Bridge East side) or Garrison and hitch or cab from there.
http://www.dutchessny.gov/LOOPBus/

NY HIKER 50
04-22-2014, 11:57
Your best bet is to take the train back to NY. However, the train only stops at the AT stop on weekends. If you go back to route 20, turn left and keep going straight into town you will get to a station that has better service. As for getting back to Bear Mountain, you go back to NY, go to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and take the bus to Bear Mountain right by the inn. Another option is to take the train back to Manitou, but on weekends only as well or go to Garrison, hike one of the trails back to the bridge and go to the inn. Need more info?

joshuasdad
04-22-2014, 12:59
A bit more information might be helpful, as I'm pretty sure you will need more than a weekend to hike that section. While that area is much easier than Harriman, the 15ish miles centered on Stormville is pretty rugged. While you can go through NYC, that will cost about $30, and a minimum of about 5 hours, and, it will be difficult to avoid an overnight if using the AT Train Station (trains depart towards NYC only in the PM). There are taxi services (e.g., in Pawling), so you could call them...I was planning on it a couple weekends back, but I ran into a trail maintainer that was able to help me out. Maybe he will see this thread and give you a PM.

Direction of hike, beginning date, ending date, how you are getting to trail, etc. would be helpful. For logistics, starting at AT train station on Saturday AM and ending at Bear Mountain on a Monday would likely be easiest if using pure transit.

Have fun!

hopetofinish
04-23-2014, 21:59
My hike will very likely begin on Fri afternoon May 9 since I will be driving from Charlotte NC early that morning. Will finish on Monday the 12th, mid afternoon. I am kinda stuck on hiking S to N. I have e-mailed the outfitter in Kent, but haven't heard from them, will call this Friday.
The whole public transport thing looks very time consuming and restrictive, but may be the last resort. As you say, maybe the trail maintainer will bail me out.

Grateful to all for the feedback!

redseal
04-28-2014, 14:14
I've used Pawling Taxi twice before. They worked out well.