PDA

View Full Version : Trail MaGic questions for AT pros.

Boat Drinks
04-22-2014, 10:35
Hey gang; it has been a LOOOONG time since I logged on here. I attempted a thru-hike in 2007, my trail name was Boat Drinks, and went from GA to VA and got off. Trail Magic was one of my favorite things and I swore I'd give back one day. Now I'm ready but I've been out of the AT community loop for a while so I need some advice. I'd like to set up near Waynesboro VA so I need to know A. Is Waynesboro VA a good area for setting up and running a shuttle into town or should I move away from the town a bit and 2. When would be a good time to help out the most hikers? Thanks for your help!

Starchild
04-22-2014, 11:21
I could have used a lift there, I made the mistake of starting to walk to town, and there is no place for a car to pull over once you get past a certain point. It seems like a good one to me.
:)

Southerner
04-22-2014, 11:40
Any help would be appreciated, no doubt. The thing about Waynesboro, though, is that it's already a pretty easy hitch, and there's even a network of trail angels that hikers can call from Rockfish Gap. If you wanted to have a bigger impact, you might consider offering rides at either US 60 (it's a long and hit-or-miss hitch into Buena Vista and back) or US 501 / Va. 130 (a likewise long, sometimes difficult hitch to Glasgow). I've already seen a small, but steady stream of through-hikers (early starters) in the Roanoke area, but the crest of the wave, so to speak, will probably be in mid-May to early-June.

HikerMom58
04-22-2014, 15:30
Hey welcome back Boat Drinks!! I agree with Southerner on the timing of "the wave". I'm sure anything you do will be much appreciated.

Sly
04-22-2014, 18:26
Maybe you should see if you can move into town for a feed? Perhaps between the Y and the hiker pavilion at he greenway trailhead, or the pavilion itself, or the hostel. Get in touch with www.visitwaynesboro.com (http://www.visitwaynesboro.com)

rafe
04-22-2014, 19:00
Based on "need" I'd say the James River (Rte. 501) locale would be most appreciated. But maybe that's just me.

fireneck
04-24-2014, 21:09
Based on "need" I'd say the James River (Rte. 501) locale would be most appreciated. But maybe that's just me.

I second this!

Pootz
04-25-2014, 11:18
I think I hike with you back in 07.

Deer Hunter
04-25-2014, 11:36

There is someone that gives rides in Glasgow. I have never met the person nor do I know anything about the service. I took this off of the Glasgow town website.

Taxi Service Now AvailableE’S-Y Riders Rate CardCall Eric 24-7 @ 540-461-2467

Local pick-up $10 ($2/mile after 1st 5 miles)
Rates available in Glasgow Town Hall