PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of wearing used high quality hat while hiking.

Kookork
04-22-2014, 19:16
Don't call me judgmental please.

I am not here to lecture about the good or evil of wearing a brand new hat on a hike. I am trying to say it is a matchless opportunity to wear an used semi broken good quality hat like Tilley Endurable hat because it can show you the way you are in a glance to any other hiker or even animal.

If I am an animal , I think I like to trust to a hiker with a broken high quality hat more than a brand new hat hiker. Nothing against the brand new hat guys and gals on the trails.It just is the way it is. Animals around here are reacting like that.

A used semi broken but not torn high quality hat brakes according to the personality of the user of the hat and is an accurate reflection of the owner. It is the owner's manual if you wish. If you have nothing to hide about your personality then let your hat speaks about you when you are silently hiking and meet another hiker.

What do you think?

Another Kevin
04-22-2014, 20:18
Hmm.

My headgear on trail varies:

Bandana
Baseball cap from a discount store, now a couple of years old, faded, stained, scuffed and generally battered. With or without a bandana done up Foreign Legion fashion. Neither text nor logos on the cap. The cap was once blue.
No-name sort-of-vaguely-Tilley-style sun hat. Layered with a bug net in blackfly season. If you think that's ridiculous, you haven't been to upstate New York in blackfly season.
A broad-brimmed black fedora, in crushable felt. It's a Dorfman Pacific, if I recall correctly. Again, much the worse for wear. One of these years I might replace it. I resent the fact that they doubled the price when they started putting the Indiana Jones name on it. I'm certain that I had my first one at least five years before Raiders came out.
A blaze orange Carhartt beanie, with a stain or two and a couple of snags from wearing it on bushwhacks.
A black fleece balaclava, possibly layered with the above beanie. I wish that I still had my shapka ushanka - that thing was warm! Alas, I lived for a few years in a hot climate. When I got it out of storage when I moved back to a place that has a winter, I found that silverfish had got into it. No way can I afford a new one. (I got it at a thrift store that either didn't know what it was or didn't think any of their customers would pay nearly what it was worth. The fur wasn't identified, but was something in the marten family. Fisher? Sable? Luxurious, anyway.)

I don't know what any of the above might say about me.

Carbo
04-22-2014, 20:40
Whenever I wear my old floppy, sun-bleached hat most dogs bark at me.

Mags
04-22-2014, 20:50
Love me my surplus boonie hat. In OD green!

Foresight
04-22-2014, 21:48
Love me my surplus boonie hat. In OD green!

Same here.

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2014, 21:59
26815 not sure how to respond mate.

Tuckahoe
04-22-2014, 22:23
Shameless plug!

Kookork
04-22-2014, 22:35

I liked your response mate.

Kookork
04-22-2014, 22:36
Whenever I wear my old floppy, sun-bleached hat most dogs bark at me.

And possibly wildlife avoid you not knowing or sighting them.

Odd Man Out
04-22-2014, 22:43
I have a habit of losing my favorite hats (bummer). But it is one piece of gear I am more likely to get emotionally attached to. I pretty much wear a hat everyday and my favorite changes from time to time. These days I'm sporting a baseball cap from NYU-Abu Dhabi. It was a gift from a friend who goes there. I have Tilly, but it's a wide-brimmed canvas model so it's a bit heavy for hiking (good for car camping in cool weather though). I had a great kangaroo leather Barmah Hat but lost it last fall. Kangaroo leather is amazing - very soft and flexible. I also have a nice Stetson Revenger. Well it used to be nice. It's old and beat up now. I inherited it from my dad. Year ago I had a nice Irish Tweed hat from Donegal. In the past I've had some straw Fedoras that I really liked, but they wore out. I think that is what I will get next.

http://www.barmahhatsusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_67&product_id=59#.U1cm6eIvlH4

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/EASportsRacer13/e745c7bd.jpg

flemdawg1
04-23-2014, 11:26

I am not here to lecture about the good or evil of wearing a brand new hat on a hike. I am trying to say it is a matchless opportunity to wear an used semi broken good quality hat like Tilley Endurable hat because it can show you the way you are in a glance to any other hiker or even animal.

If I am an animal , I think I like to trust to a hiker with a broken high quality hat more than a brand new hat hiker. Nothing against the brand new hat guys and gals on the trails.It just is the way it is. Animals around here are reacting like that.

A used semi broken but not torn high quality hat brakes according to the personality of the user of the hat and is an accurate reflection of the owner. It is the owner's manual if you wish. If you have nothing to hide about your personality then let your hat speaks about you when you are silently hiking and meet another hiker.

What do you think?

Animals respond according to instinct and response to stimuli. That new hat probably reaks of the chemicals used in making it.

As far as people, quit worrying about it. If you want a new hat wear it. It none of your business what other people think of you. You're out for a hike, not to make fashion statements.

Odd Man Out
04-23-2014, 12:20
You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U_L5Z3JZMU

jimmyjam
04-23-2014, 13:08
I wear a ball cap I got at the Grand Canyon over 10 years ago. It's been on my head for every trail step in the last 10 years. It's getting worn and tattered, but I'll wear it until it turns to dust.

perdidochas
04-23-2014, 14:11

What do you think?

A used hat starts out as a new hat--unless you buy a "distressed" hat, which is just plain silly. I think your views are silly for that reason.

The Solemates
04-23-2014, 17:04

What do you think?

wth?........

Kookork
04-23-2014, 18:23
A used hat starts out as a new hat--unless you buy a "distressed" hat, which is just plain silly. I think your views are silly for that reason.

In my experince a broken hat is almost like a broken shoes. It is more comfortable and less prone to any discomfort that sometimes comes from using a brand new item at the beginning of a trail but that was not my original intention in OP. If my comment sounds silly to you , I have no intention to change your view. You are entitled to your view either right or wrong, rude or polite.

rafe
04-23-2014, 18:41
The last remaining bit of my 1990 outfit that's still in regular use (on and off trail) is my black and blue Seattle Sombrero. I'd be sad if I lost it.

Damn Yankee
04-23-2014, 19:26

"You call that a hat? This is a hat.

Meriadoc
04-23-2014, 19:37
Only recently have hats agreed to stay with me for a while. Prior hats have jumped off mountains, dug themselves into the dirt, and leapt out of speeding cars. Some manage to vanish without a trace.

But the two who stick it out may find themselves abandoned soon for my hair is so long now that the hats don't fit! Imagine that!

Kookork
04-23-2014, 19:51
Only recently have hats agreed to stay with me for a while. Prior hats have jumped off mountains, dug themselves into the dirt, and leapt out of speeding cars. Some manage to vanish without a trace.

But the two who stick it out may find themselves abandoned soon for my hair is so long now that the hats don't fit! Imagine that!

In my experience the most common found item on trails has been hats and caps which means it is also the most common lost item.

Odd Man Out
04-23-2014, 20:34
In my experience the most common found item on trails has been hats and caps which means it is also the most common lost item.

They are like the one Ring of Power - they WANT to be found.

dragonflyannie
04-24-2014, 09:05

Now that is a hat!!

Mags
04-24-2014, 09:16
They are like the one Ring of Power - they WANT to be found.

"Lord of The Hats" somehow does not sound as epic. ;)

Sailing_Faith
04-24-2014, 10:12
Tillys rock. Mine has had a tough life, but has my loyalty!

Odd Man Out
04-24-2014, 10:25
Tillys rock. Mine has had a tough life, but has my loyalty!

I remember reading about a zookeeper who had his Tilley hat eaten by an elephant three times. Each time he just waited for it to come out the other end, cleaned it up, and kept wearing it.

leatherwheels
04-24-2014, 10:40
Don't know of any hat I've owned that I love enough to wear after that, except maybe my 2011 Bruins Stanley Cup Champions hat :D

SunnyWalker
04-24-2014, 11:54
Nike base all cap. Under Armour baseball cap. Now for CDT a Oregon Research holisomething or heliosomething hat. Nice brim. I beat you on the price. Tillys sell for a lot more then $27 bucks which is what this cost me.

perdidochas
04-24-2014, 12:35
In my experince a broken hat is almost like a broken shoes. It is more comfortable and less prone to any discomfort that sometimes comes from using a brand new item at the beginning of a trail but that was not my original intention in OP. If my comment sounds silly to you , I have no intention to change your view. You are entitled to your view either right or wrong, rude or polite.

Don't get me wrong, I like broken-in hats--I have one hat that I've used for about 6 years now. I just don't look my nose down at people with new hats. New hats are the source of old hats.

Kookork
04-24-2014, 13:27
Don't get me wrong, I like broken-in hats--I have one hat that I've used for about 6 years now. I just don't look my nose down at people with new hats. New hats are the source of old hats.

If there is one thing I have learned from WB is the lesson that I try my best not to look my nose down at any other person. People have different taste and views on life and they all have the right to follow their choices and preferences. As long as their acts is not detrimental to others I have no right to interfere them.

I am currently on my 2nd Tilley hat. I lost the first. I know the exact location where I left that hat but it is about 600 miles driving and 4 days hiking. Do I expect to find that hat intact after two years being outside in the elements of harsh climate of Canada? I do.

fastfoxengineering
04-24-2014, 19:33
I enjoy when my stuff has some wear and tear. I like to call them battle wounds, and it gives items character. But I have the luxury of buying most of my stuff brand new rather than used. I tend to take care of my stuff more when it's brand new than after its beat up a little. What I mean is, I bought a brand new tilley. Paid good money for it. I was careful to keep it clean for a year or so. After that I just stop thinking about it and it becomes mine. Same thing with nice watches. I'm so ever careful not to scratch or ding them when there new. Once they get a little beat up I just stop thinking about it.

I don't even know if this has anything to do with the op.

I think you were getting at something along the lines of seeing brand new items on the trail? .... well hell, how's it suppose to character if it sits on your couch while your in the woods?

And people who put "fake" distress on their items, like buying a brand new hat and rubbing dirt on it to make it look like you've been to hell and back. Well, come on. At least have some sweet bs epic story to back it up. I'm easily entertained.

Meriadoc
04-24-2014, 19:51
And people who put "fake" distress on their items, like buying a brand new hat and rubbing dirt on it to make it look like you've been to hell and back. Well, come on. At least have some sweet bs epic story to back it up. I'm easily entertained.

Well this here yarn is true, though you may not believe it. Me granpappy was a trapper on t' ol' mississippi. Course he didn't call it the mississippi cause of voodoo and all. Anyhow, he was one of them fiercest trappers - never did a muskrat get the better of him. But the beavers ... Oh boy those beavers were somethin' else. In those days the smallest was over 5 stone and mean as a horse.

One year me granpappy couldna catch anythin' fur his life. Weeks and all them muskrats were afraid of his traps. Them beavers wurn't but they were too mean.

Eventually he grew dasparate after months of nuffin'. He trapped himself a beaver, the grandaddy of all beavers! 'E was at least 10 stone. Afore taking 'is last breath that darned beaver cussed me granpappy and all his kin - meanin' me - that they could never wear anythin' new ever again. Me granpappy believed the old bugger and boy - not sure ifn I do, but I've seen pictures and I don't want to tangle with 'im.

So if you see me tossin' durt on me new hat, please don't tell the beaver.

(I hope you meant it when you said you are easily entertained :D. Otherwise - I'm sorry ;P)

Kookork
04-24-2014, 23:26
For the record:

I have nothing against using and wearing brand new gear/cloth on the trails.Not a thing.

All I am saying is that if two persons buy the exact same hat/gear and use it let's say for two years and then you compare these two hats/gear , they will not be the same and the wear and tear and sun burning and stigmas of these two hat/gear can speak volumes about the character of these two users. Why I couldn't explain this in the OP? :Possibly because English is not my mother tongue and sometimes I struggle finding the proper word or phrase to express what I am trying to say.

jeffmeh
04-25-2014, 04:54
I favor synthetic baseball caps, with no parts that can rust, that float, and I wear them hiking until they rip or otherwise lose integrity. I used to try to find one without a prominent logo, but that is getting much more difficult to do, so I have relaxed that criterion. For additional sun protection, add a bandana. I like the ball cap brim to keep rain off my glasses, to keep a hood away from my face, shade my eyes, etc.

Even if new, it doesn't take long to see the sweat/salt stains forming. Every once in a while I will take it in the shower with me, soap it up, and rinse it out. :)

perdidochas
04-25-2014, 12:43
For the record:

I have nothing against using and wearing brand new gear/cloth on the trails.Not a thing.

All I am saying is that if two persons buy the exact same hat/gear and use it let's say for two years and then you compare these two hats/gear , they will not be the same and the wear and tear and sun burning and stigmas of these two hat/gear can speak volumes about the character of these two users. Why I couldn't explain this in the OP? :Possibly because English is not my mother tongue and sometimes I struggle finding the proper word or phrase to express what I am trying to say.

I know what you're trying to say, but it really doesn't make sense. Let's say I have had an old hat for 6 yrs. My son decides to take it on a scout trip without my knowledge, and ruins it. I buy a new one. Is my character less because I now have a new hat?

perdidochas
04-25-2014, 12:45
I favor synthetic baseball caps, with no parts that can rust, that float, and I wear them hiking until they rip or otherwise lose integrity. I used to try to find one without a prominent logo, but that is getting much more difficult to do, so I have relaxed that criterion. For additional sun protection, add a bandana. I like the ball cap brim to keep rain off my glasses, to keep a hood away from my face, shade my eyes, etc.

Even if new, it doesn't take long to see the sweat/salt stains forming. Every once in a while I will take it in the shower with me, soap it up, and rinse it out. :)

While carrying a backpack, I also favor synthetic baseball caps. Hard to find sometimes with or without a logo. Otherwise in the woods, I wear an older Columbia wide brimmed hat. (don't like the back of it hitting against backpack, so baseball cap is more practical)

SunnyWalker
04-25-2014, 12:54
Yep. That's why I went to an Under Amour hat. It is synthetic and I did not no longer have to put up with the endless comments about the team represented by the hat I was wearing. I mean, Comon' we all know THAT THE DALLAS COWBOYS ROCK!!!!!!!! (Just kidding). Anyway, I wanted a hat with a brim and did not want to go the tilly expense so went the oregon research expense which gave me a nice hat and a smaller price. Cool. Now to put some "character" on it. That will take some trail miles.

Mags
04-25-2014, 14:14
Wicking ball cap with no label?

Da Google knows all:
http://www.chefuniforms.com/chef-hats/all-hats-necks/caxj-chef-baseball-cap-js.asp?search=CAX-J&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&REFCODE=SHOP74&cid=SHOP74&cvsfa=3826&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=323030323431333838&frmColor=BLACK

Only in black, but still...

Other choices:

http://www.logosoftwear.com/customwickingcaps.php

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_so_16?rh=n%3A1036592%2Ck%3Acoolmax+cap%2Cp_ 89%3ABeechfield&bbn=1036592&keywords=coolmax+cap&ie=UTF8&qid=1398449616

Kookork
04-25-2014, 16:53
I know what you're trying to say, but it really doesn't make sense. Let's say I have had an old hat for 6 yrs. My son decides to take it on a scout trip without my knowledge, and ruins it. I buy a new one. Is my character less because I now have a new hat?

No sir, your character does not change with a hat unless it is a wizard hat!! but i am not sure about your post. It seems you are disagreeing with a point that I have never made. Where in my posts did I convey that using a new hat makes somebody less of a character?

Please read my posts one more time.

RCBear
04-25-2014, 17:03
I hike with the tag on mine.

Redrowen
04-25-2014, 17:21
I wear a variety of headgear depending on environmental factors. My boonie hat is my go to item. I don’t judge hikers by the cover or other gear they use.

Kookork
04-25-2014, 17:44
I wear a variety of headgear depending on environmental factors. My boonie hat is my goto item. I don’t judge hikers by the cover or other gear they use.

I do. I was born with a syndrome called Judgmental-ism.

Meriadoc
04-25-2014, 18:17
No sir, your character does not change with a hat unless it is a wizard hat!!
I want one for parties!!

I don’t judge hikers by the cover or other gear they use.
I like hikers that have the sewn binding, brown spines, and deckled edges. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Wolve
04-25-2014, 21:00
No sir, your character does not change with a hat unless it is a wizard hat!!

Please let this be a Harry Potter reference! :)

moytoy
04-26-2014, 06:51
It's just a Hat!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ensnPazN1qdfkdto1_400.gif

moytoy
04-26-2014, 15:17
I kinda thought this was in the humor forum thus the cat and hat pic. Now I see it's of a more serious nature and the OP is really concerned about his head cover. My thought is that the wild animals don't care what you are wearing if they can't eat it or it doesn't eat them. Thinking a little past that and I would guess most hikers feel the same.

Old Hiker
04-26-2014, 15:36
I'm wearing a baseball type hat I picked up in Franklin (thanks, Ron !!) from a t-shirt store across from the motel. It has "Nikwasi" on it, as well as a spirit bear totem symbol and "Franklin NC". I was going to use a visor to keep the sun out of my eyes, but I liked the hat design.

Not only does it remind me of the hospitality from Ron and his people, but it keeps the sun and rain off my face. I sprayed it with camp-dri and it sheds water pretty well.

It's older now, salt stained a bit and faded, but still the same hat as when I bought it. I don't think being older made the hat any better or worse. If it wears out between now and 2016, as I go through Franklin again I'll see if I can pick another one up.