PDA

View Full Version : BMT hike SOBO

4shot
04-22-2014, 19:19
for my annual section hike I am planning to do the AT sobo from Erwin to maybe Davenport Gap. I took the BMT thru the Smokies last year so I am planning to skip them this year and pick up the BMT at Deals gap. With that being said, I have driven through there a few times and have never noticed a trail sign for the BMT. Where would I pick up the trailhead exactly? There is a small hotel that is near where I suspect it to be.

and, when I hit the BMT sobo I have Sgt. rock's guide circa 2012-13. in addition I am one of those old dinosuars that likes to carry maps. what set of maps correspond with the BMT south from Deals Gap to Springer. As always, many thanks to those who respond.

Dogwood
04-22-2014, 22:06
There's a new BMT reroute that avoids the somewhat hazardous paved road walk to Deal's Gap from Twenty Mile Ranger Station. Don't know if it's all done but I think it was mainly about clearing already existing trail in GSMNP. The BMTA is telling BMTers to use the old Deals Gap route until May 31. http://www.bmta.org/

Sounds like y'all need the GSMNP Nat Geo TI map and Nat Geo TI Springer/Cohutta Wilderness maps (southern 1/3 of the BMT), http://www.bmta.org/Store-Maps.html as well as the AT maps into Erwin(if you feel you need the AT maps)

4shot
04-23-2014, 06:36
thanks Dogwood for the link (don't know why I didn't think to check there). turns out I already have 2 of the 3 NatGeo maps. And I am going to skip the roadwalk/mew reroute and just want to pick up the trail SOBO at Deal's Gap (or where a previous NOBO'er would have started the road walk to Twenty MIle).. As I said, I have been through there and have never noticed a trail marker.Is there a sign or blaze or any other prominent feature? thx.

blisterbob
04-23-2014, 06:46
There is no sign or any trail marking that is noticeable from the road.
The trail is on an old gated service rd. going south from the crest of Deals Gap.

SGT Rock
04-23-2014, 06:55
4Shot,

The trail at Deals Gap is an old gravel road with a cable across it that goes west from the road right on the state line, directly across US129 from the gated road on the state line. From there you follow the gravel road for about 2.7 miles until the trail goes left (ad you travel Sobo) off the gravel road.

OK, that said, that section after you take the left off the gravel road is not in good shape. There was a fire up there a few years back and it has been a constant battle to keep the new growth from enveloping the trail. For about 1.5 miles you will have a brush wacking session if you chose to go this way as we are currently relocating away from this section and have stopped any trail maintenance on it. The new relocation will be completed by May 31.

You can still chose to do it the way you are planning, or you have other options. Some recent hikers have been road walking down US129 to the Slickrock Trailhead near Topoco and picking up the BMT there. It ain't a great walk though.

If you are interested in doing all or part of the new trail relocation, you can pick that up right in Fontana Village and I have been, and will continue to post route information and maps on here to keep hikers straight so you do not need to buy a new trail guide from me (or another source) to hike the new BMT route. Which ever way you want to go, I'll be happy to answer any questions and provide any advice I can to help you along.

4shot
04-27-2014, 18:13
OK, that said, that section after you take the left off the gravel road is not in good shape. There was a fire up there a few years back and it has been a constant battle to keep the new growth from enveloping the trail. For about 1.5 miles you will have a brush wacking session if you chose to go this way as we are currently relocating away from this section and have stopped any trail maintenance on it. The new relocation will be completed by May 31.

If you are interested in doing all or part of the new trail relocation, you can pick that up right in Fontana Village and I have been, and will continue to post route information and maps on here to keep hikers straight so you do not need to buy a new trail guide from me (or another source) to hike the new BMT route. Which ever way you want to go, I'll be happy to answer any questions and provide any advice I can to help you along.

thanks Sgt.Rock. Just saw your update on the trail reroute. ironically I am going to be hitting Hot springs on the afternoon of 5/30. will take a zero in HS 5/31 and then she will let me out in Fontana Village on 6/1 on her way back home. As Ewker said in that post, appreciate the work that you and other volunteers do. it's nice to have options other than the AT in the southern Appalachian mountains.