PDA

View Full Version : To thru or not to thru

betic4lyf
09-21-2005, 18:42
I have been thinking about trying to thru hike the AT for some time. I am a senior in High school, and i thought that i might be able to finish in time for college. I am in good shape, but i was wondering if it is at all doable. if not I probabaly plan on going on a monthlong trail crew thing with the svc or othe groups, as well as hiking the long trail. I would apreciate opinions

Lone Wolf
09-21-2005, 18:45
Hike the trail and skip college for a year. What's the rush for college?

eyahiker
09-21-2005, 19:21
Do it now!
If not you may find yourself
a) saying you'll do it later and then life happens and you will be sitting years from now wishing you had.
b) find yourself swamped with responsibility and not able to pull yourself away because of your obligations, job, spouse, etc.
Plus, some of the best life lessons are learned on trail, you will have a wonderful and different perspective when it comes to the WANT/NEED areas of life in general.
IMO of course ;-)

Bassline
09-21-2005, 21:16
Do it now. I would recommend starting a little early if you want to start college this fall. Say, somewhere between the 1st and 15th of March. What others have said though, college can wait. Get this hike out of your system, then worry about college. Besides, you will probably be a different person when it is all said and done.

neo
09-21-2005, 21:40
go for it,do it now,college can wait one year:cool: neo

Tractor
09-21-2005, 22:00
Do............seek..........the................... .thru..................now! Focus and all will get clearer, including college and Anything that comes after.......... t

frieden
09-21-2005, 22:41
I agree; do it now. It will give you a better perspective in college, and will teach you how to focus on what really matters.

rickb
09-21-2005, 22:49
Not sure about the quality of advise you are getting here.

Assuming you graduate mid June, you will end up going Southbound. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Or am I missing something? I thought you said you are a HS senior this year.

If you do start a thru hike Next June, chances are you will be like most hikers and will drop off the trail. I mean quit. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Except you will be screwed. You will end up bussing tables and living with your folks until mid January. All this while your friends are chasing women, men, or both and having a different kind of great experience. You will be in a living hell with laundry service.

Even if you do walk all the way SOBO, there is something to be said for starting college when everyone else is. And if you walk fast, you will still end up wasting the best months of your life at home. I mean you parent's home.

Could you have it all? Hike the AT in time to start college in the Fall? In theory, yes. If you hike that fast you could even go North. But anything is possible in theory. Others have done it. Not a good bet for most people, however.

So forget the AT. For now. In a couple years you can take off a Spring semester and do it right. Since you willl have realized that avoiding work over the summer is very important and that your parents are unlikely to ever be willing to support a 6 month vacation again, you will end up defying the odds and walk all the way to Maine. Plus you get to go back to college with a new perspective. Which considering that you will have spent your first few semesters drinking and goofing off, will probably be a good thing.

Plenty of great alternatives for next summer other than a thru hike. Sounds like you have a few excellent choices in mind already. The only thing I'd add is that you consider buying a motorcyle (even a small one) and/or sharing your "dream" of a career as a commercial fisherman in Alaska over the course of your senior year. This will give you a tremendous amount of leverage when looking for parental support for your AT adventure down the road. They will be so relieved when you give these up, they will drive you to Springer.

Whistler
09-21-2005, 22:51
Totally go for it. If you know you will go to college one day, go ahead and get applications and acceptances, and pick your school for Fall '06. Start the AT as soon as you're able to and go as far as you can before college starts.
-Mark

Israel
09-21-2005, 23:21
You can do it all and NOT miss college. I did the southern 1/2 in 93, the northern 1/2 in 97 and then did it all again in 98.
Nothing stops you from applying to the college of your choice, walking for the summer, and then if you don't want to go to school right away, delay everything by one semester, or stop walking and go to school.
In 93 i ended up getting off in PA and then spending 6 weeks in Alaska prior to going to school.

you are only young once.

Israel
09-21-2005, 23:22
forgot to add i left in 03 10 days after graduating h.s. my 97 hike started just after graduating college.

98- well, i hadn't had enough so i had to do it all over again. :)

jimmyjob
09-22-2005, 08:25
listen..the summer between high school and college is your shortest...high school ends in june and college starts in august..you will need 5 to 6 months to do the trail....everyone so far has said to hike the trail,hike the trail,hike the trail,hike the trail....i agree but would offer one alternative....instead of thru hiking...section hike one month a summer...

the only reason i say this is because once you stop going to school it is damn hard to go back...i finished my undergrad in 2000 and have just start doing some graduate course...and it has been so hard to get back into it.....

But do what your heart tells you....I have three young brothers and sisters around your age and i have talk to them about doing a large section or the whole thing with me next year...

good luck

dje97001
09-22-2005, 08:34
If you are really set on going hiking instead of college--consider applying for college with the rest of your classmates and then writing (or meeting with) the school you get accepted to. Ask them what your options are for deferring entrance by a semester.

If you really want a balanced perspective, post this same question on a "Going to College the Right Way" forum. It isn't suprising that people on whiteblaze would recommend hiking over college--this site is about hiking, afterall.

My thoughts would be that you should apply and get accepted this year, then see what your options are for postponing your entrance by a semester (usually you take a bunch of gen eds for the first 2 years anyway and the restrictions on order are minimal--unless you go into engineering or the like). If they won't accomodate you--then decide what is more important to you.

Gonzo!
09-22-2005, 09:08
Worried about finishing college? Do like I did, go to college, then hike when you have only four semester hours remaining to graduate so that you will have to go back to college and finish that off too!

Gonzo!

jaboobie
09-22-2005, 09:49
Worried about finishing college? Do like I did, go to college, then hike when you have only four semester hours remaining to graduate so that you will have to go back to college and finish that off too!

Gonzo!
I like that advice. There's nothing quite as fun as a semester of college with only one class. What a great way to celebrate a completed thru-hike.

Also when you delay college you really need to remain focused on getting back. I would imagine a large percentage of people who say they are going to "delay" college end up never going. They get OK jobs and start having fun spending the money with their friends and end up with a lot of responsibilities that make it more difficult to give up the job and go back to college. It can happen quick.

Ender
09-22-2005, 10:30
Well, I think it's always a good thing to go for a hike, but at the same time, college is a wonderful experience and really shouldn't be missed. I'd say take a month during the summer for a section hike, and then do the whole thing after college. Try to work it out so you can leave college a semester early so you can leave around the normal time in the spring to give yourself more time in the woods. Just my humble advice.

Peaks
09-22-2005, 10:36
Well, it's your decision.

These days, very few people go into college and graduate in four years without taking a semister off, changing majors, and even changing colleges.

If the itch is there, then go hike the AT, and defer college for a semister. Or, just hike the AT for 2 months between high school and college and see if that satisfies your itch. Or, get a year of college out of your way and then hike the AT.

How do you feel about college?

What do your parents think?

Lots of things to think about before making a decision.

Marta
09-22-2005, 13:19
If you want to hike, go hiking. College will be there, and chances are you'll make lots of friends while you're there, and maybe even meet your life's partner, and get offered a good job afterwards, and have some kids...and it will never be the right time for you to take six months and hike until you're retired...if you live that long.

Working for, planning for, and executing a thru-hike will put you way ahead of most other freshmen in terms of self-sufficiency and maturity. The more mature you are when you're in college, the more successful your college experience will be. Speaking as a parent of one kid with a masters degree and two more working on their undergraduate degrees: College is too d****d expensive to spend your time partying. Not to mention that those incompletes and Ds and Fs will drag down your transcript forever. Have a great time, but take care of business first.

Those long periods of being alone with your thoughts while you're hiking may also give you some insight into the direction you should take with the rest of your life, which translates into choosing a major and other practical considerations, so you won't waste valuable time in college doing this thing and then that and then the other.

Marta

MOWGLI
09-22-2005, 13:46
I have been thinking about trying to thru hike the AT for some time. .....if not I probabaly plan on going on a monthlong trail crew thing with the svc or othe groups, as well as hiking the long trail. I would apreciate opinions

Good question! I'll part company with the rest of the herd and suggest you do the service project. In fact, why not delay college and join Americorps or the Student Conservation Association for a year? The Florida Trail uses SCA Crews. Those folks have a blast - working out on the trail.

Anyone can hike the trail. It takes a special person to give back. A year in Americorps or SCA will provide lasting friendships, great memories, and money for college too. Think about it!

http://www.thesca.org/
http://www.americorps.org/

max patch
09-22-2005, 14:06
Whats more important....your education which will prepare you for your career or a kick ass vacation?

Get your education. The trail isn't going anyplace. It'll still be there when you're ready to hike.

betic4lyf
09-22-2005, 16:15
I am thinking about it and if anything might think about hiking the AT during college/ taking of a semester.

Footslogger
09-22-2005, 16:24
Life is short. Both college AND the trail will always be there. Do what would make your heart sing. If that's college then go to college. If that's hiking ...then go hiking.

Listen to your own advice ...

'Slogger

Ender
09-22-2005, 17:00
Listen to your own advice ...

Best advise I've heard in ages! Bravo! :clap

nerdishgrrl
09-22-2005, 17:09
I'm planning on finishing college a semester early, and hiking when I'm done. Go to school, take some summer courses, and it'll all work out easier. I find that my parents are more open to this idea, seeing as how i'll be a few years older and not be so naive and trusting (which is a definite problem of mine), and they won't worry and blah blah blah. Also, that way, you'll be the same age as the other college freshmen. It may sound like a small concern, but I have a friend of a friend who postponed college for a year to do Americorps. She had an awesome experience, but she does not fit in at alllll with the freshman on her campus. Her new perspective she gained from Americorps dosen't fit in with the typical life of drinking, sexing, and other debauchery enjoyed by the typical college freshman.

..but being typical is soooo dull. :)

MOWGLI
09-22-2005, 18:36
It may sound like a small concern, but I have a friend of a friend who postponed college for a year to do Americorps. She had an awesome experience, but she does not fit in at alllll with the freshman on her campus. Her new perspective she gained from Americorps dosen't fit in with the typical life of drinking, sexing, and other debauchery enjoyed by the typical college freshman.

Sounds like your friend is probably more worldly and mature than the "typical" freshman. From my perspective, that's a good thing. If I had spent a bit more time studying instead of attending Grateful Dead shows and........ I'd be waaaay ahead of the game now.

Anyway, you can always hang with the sophmores or juniors. It's not like most of 'em are celibate, sober and living monastic lives. ;)

rcli4
09-22-2005, 22:40
Don't go to college. Hike. While you are hiking practice asking "Would you like fries with that". The Long Trail is great. Hike the long trail and then go to college. When you get out of college the trail will be there.

LIhikers
09-23-2005, 08:10
Here's my 2 cents, use it however you like. First of all don't worry about starting college when most people do. If you really want to hike first, go hike. Consider the fact that a lot of college students don't finish in 4 years anyway. Also, they often change majors, so it seems that life is full of changes and possabilities. And they quite often don't get a job in the field that they studied in college. So what's the rush to start a career when you can't be sure what you'll be doing. Work at any job so you can finance your hike, and then start college at the winter semester. What real diference will 6 months make?

the goat
09-23-2005, 09:14
.....do it.....now.

frieden
09-23-2005, 09:31
rcli4, I agree. there are a lot of college grads asking that question. i wasn't able to use my finance degree, and have a min. wage job at a bookstore. (i love my job, though) i wish i had gone hiking first. i probably would have ended up at nols, instead of dealing with corporate bs. i think i like my job now, because they are all outdoor people.

V8
09-23-2005, 10:12
One more tidbit to add to the pot - before committing to a thru-hike, plan some long hikes first, meet a bunch of thruhikers, and see what you think once you've hiked in the rain and been cold and have run out of food and can't get that ride out to the town and your shoes don't fit right and there's no space in the leanto and all the other annoying :confused:little :eek:experiences :(that come with distance as a goal. This could easily take a summer.
Then, you'll either really want to thruhike or really not want to thruhike.
You will have your equipment figured out, and probably have friends to hike with. Then you'll KNOW what you want to do.:)

bfitz
01-11-2006, 02:22
Whats more important....your education which will prepare you for your career or a kick ass vacation?
A kick ass vacation, obviously. Thats what a career is for anyway, to raise money for your vacations. Or "The Long Vacation" as I refer to retirement as...

Ender
01-11-2006, 10:32
I have been thinking about trying to thru hike the AT for some time. I am a senior in High school, and i thought that i might be able to finish in time for college. I am in good shape, but i was wondering if it is at all doable. if not I probabaly plan on going on a monthlong trail crew thing with the svc or othe groups, as well as hiking the long trail. I would apreciate opinions

It can be done, but you'll enjoy it more if you don't have to rush.

Jaybird
01-11-2006, 11:02

RUSHING thru your hike (IMO) takes away the scenery, meeting the trail "characters", & many trail "experiences"...

like many others have stated....my vote is do the hike now....COLLEGE can wait for 6 months!:D

good luck w/ yer hike!

nattyd123
01-11-2006, 11:58
The more real-life experience you have before continuing with higher education will help focus you in the myriad academic disciplines, many of which you will find interesting,. The trick is finding one that is intellecutal stimulating enough for four years and that you can utilize once you graduate, again.

If you REALLY like hiking for six months, that would be a good indicator to find a college/other intitution that incorporates wilderness experiences into the classroom.

Smile
01-11-2006, 12:15
Hike first.
The trail will teach you life lessons about yourself, economics and relationships - which will be a huge value when you go to college. The world will look completely different and you may choose to spend your time learning things are you truly important to you.

A college degree is no longer what it used to be = a guaranteed good paying job /job $ecurity in your field.

You and your life are far more important than what the mainstream "recipe- for-life-of-someone-your-age du jour".

QHShowoman
01-11-2006, 15:12
I haven't thru-hiked yet, but I did attended *several* colleges. I started college at my first choice school right out of high school like everyone else and lasted about two years before I needed to take time off to re-focus. I spent the first six months after my second year of college working at a "dude" ranch ... and that spawned a several year career in horse management, training, and showing. I then got tired of breaking ice in water buckets at 5am every morning and started working as a temp doing all sorts of office work. My friends mother owned the temp agency and although I had little office experience, I got really neat assignments -- one working for the development dept. at a college, which later gave me the skills I needed to succeed in fundraising. I went back to school 4 years after I dropped out and I have to say, the time away gave me an invaluable new perspective on college. I really made the very most of my final two years (I attended a state school this time around) and graduated with honors. I've been working ever since ... my first job right out of college was in the development dept. of a large non-profit in NYC ... I worked my way up over 5 years to the manager of their direct marketing program (a $60 million program!). I got my current job (and lots more $$$) through a contact I made at the previous job.

Anyhow, my point is this: no one can tell you what's right for you, but I felt like because I attended college right out of high school and then took time off before finishing, that I had the best of both worlds. I got to "enjoy" the freshman "experience" with everyone else, was able to develop much needed work skills during my time off (which really gives you a jump on other recent college grads when you are looking for jobs -- the woman that hired me out of college told me that it was my stint temping in the development department at a college that locked me in), and got my BA with a strong finish as a result of having a more mature perspective and a better idea of where I wanted to go in my life.

Another point to consider is your relative lack of "strings" (debt, car payments, student loan payments, etc.) during this time. Start college ... take some time off to "find yourself" by thru-hiking or whatnot, and then finish college. Chances are, your parents' health insurance plan will probably cover you until your early 20s, so really, take advantage of that and hike while you can.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-11-2006, 16:37
Here's my perspective: I did a long section hike between high school and college. I wasn't ready to get off the Trail when it was time, but I was expected to start college and I figured I could thruhike the following year (and break it to my parents slowly). Well, I ended up getting pregnant. Found out that you can get an education when you have kids, but a thruhike is pretty much out of the question for a long while. I wouldn't trade my kids for anything, but the lesson I learned is that you never know what life will throw at you. Take a risk, have fun before you're forced to be serious and responsible. At the same time, be deliberate about your decisions. Decide what is most important to YOU and don't stray from the path that will get you there.

prozac
01-11-2006, 21:58
Go for it. I got five kids and they all went to college. Each one took a semester off for an adventure and still wound up going back or graduating. Graduate highschool and get a job this summer and bankroll every penny. You'll need it later while hiking. Enroll in college this fall and take the spring semester off to thru. Start your hike in March and you will have plenty of time to finish for the following fall semester. Nobody says you have to finish in 4 years anyway. Reread post #3.

vipahman
01-11-2006, 22:13
Education first. Play later. But I wouldn't know, would I? I came here as an immigrant 12 years ago without much money and am semi-retired now. And it's all because of my education. Yeah, it's harder to travel later on with work, marriage, kids, etc. but for every year worked sooner, you'll have that year compounded later on in life.

My suggestion is to go for the hike and exit (not quit but exit) when it's college time. The number 2175 is meaningless. You don't have to finish it as a thru' hike. It takes a mentally strong person to exit at 2100.

$0.02
Avi