PDA

View Full Version : BA Fly Creek UL1 tent - 2014 version

Praha4
04-22-2014, 19:21
After doing some online research, I saw that the Big Agnes website was advertising the new updated 2014 Fly Creek UL1 and UL2 tents were a bit lighter. So I called the BA customer service shop to ask some questions on where they shaved the weight from the older versions, (which were pretty good as they were). I just received my new UL1, and after looking it over I can see where the savings were achieved. The 2014 version of the UL1 is approx. 3 to 4 oz. lighter, (trail weight 1 lb - 11 oz). The UL2 accomplished similar weight savings. The ounces shaved were primarily achieved with a lighter pole set material, and lighter weight guylines. The new poleset has the same design, but does appear to be a lighter weight aluminum. I also substitute a set of Vargo Titanium stakes for the aluminum stakes that come with the tent, to save a couple ounces. I weighed the complete new UL1 tent, guylines, poles, and my Titanium stakes, and the total weight came in at 1 lb. - 14 oz. This will likely be my go-to solo tent for most backpacking trips in the future, unless I can get by with my MLD cuben tarp on some trips. Check out the new BA UL1 and UL2 if you're shopping for a tent. (I'm not a salesman either!)

RedBeerd
04-23-2014, 11:34
Give me back those ounces in a beefier zipper! I've had 3 and they all had zipper failures. Besides that they are great tents. Thanks for sharing!

Praha4
04-23-2014, 19:06
Here's a view of the new UL1 Tent, they also changed the guyline tensioners to Line-LOKs .... but as far as I can tell, the tent zippers are the same!

HooKooDooKu
04-24-2014, 00:36
The Copper Spur was also update this year to be a little lighter.

TNhiker
04-24-2014, 13:35
Give me back those ounces in a beefier zipper! I've had 3 and they all had zipper failures. Besides that they are great tents. Thanks for sharing!

did big agnes replace the tent after the zipper failures?

southern9
04-27-2014, 07:27
My wife and I used the Big Agnes UL fly creek 3 on our first hike. Loved it. No zipper problems yet. We went thru rain the entire first night, had water standing under the tent. Not a drop inside. Some carbon fiber poles would be awesome though.