PDA

View Full Version : Jacket

Dredd
04-22-2014, 19:43
I will be doing a section hike in TN/NC starting mid May. Last year we did a section from I40 to Sams gap with just frog toggs. But that was July. What are some recommendations for a mid may jacket. I would like to take just 1 jacket that could also serve as raingear. Not sure exactly what kind of weather to expect in areas like roan mountain. Also not sure I was fond of the frogg toggs

Meriadoc
04-22-2014, 21:15
Frogg toggs work. Something to protect the top and something to protect the bottom. Take your pick.

Mine would be light shell jacket and rain skirt.

Edit: woops. Just saw you wanted one jacket to do both. I don't think I'd go this route in May for the higher peaks of the smokies and TN. I want a rain shell for those conditions.

If you're bent on avoiding a shell, I can highly recommend Patagonia Nanopuff with the PrimaLoft One insulation. Warm when wet. Wind blocker. The claims hold true. Still, in a cold drenching rain ..... I want a rain shell even if it's just a poncho.

Studlintsean
04-22-2014, 21:38
Ill be in the area that time of year also and plan on brining a light synthetic jacket and a marmot precip. Not sure if this helps at all.

daddytwosticks
04-23-2014, 07:16
I'd carry my older model Montbell Thermawrap jacket and my Dri-ducks rain jacket. Something like a cheap 100 wt fleece would work also. :)

Dredd
04-24-2014, 22:45
Thanks for the replies, kinda confirms what I was thinking. I probably go with a shell and light fleece for warmth.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ktaadn
04-25-2014, 11:15
Thanks for the replies, kinda confirms what I was thinking. I probably go with a shell and light fleece for warmth.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I carry. Good luck!