PDA

View Full Version : MARC Trains

Tuckahoe
04-22-2014, 21:27
Planning a weekend walk aruond Harpers Ferry in May. I'll take Amtrak to DC and then MARC to Harpers Ferry.

I have read the MTA website and just want to make sure that I have read things correctly; mainly that I do not have to purchase ahead of time, but that I can actually get tickets for MARC at Union Station when I get there.

Anything else I may need to know (yup going stoveless) about MARC?

QHShowoman
04-22-2014, 21:38
Well, the MARC doesn't actually go to Harper's Ferry on the weekends -- it's a commuter train, so it runs M-F on a very limited schedule (i.e. HF to DC early in the am and then DC to HF in the PM). Amtrak offers service to HF, 7 days a week, but again, limited schedule.

Other than that, yes you can buy tickets at Union Station from the little ticket machines and you don't actually need to go stoveless. No one checks anything at Union Station, except to make sure you have a ticket.

Edited to add: Here's a link to the Amtrak timetable that goes to Harper's Ferry: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/1018/224/Capitol-Limited-Schedule-011314.pdf

Tuckahoe
04-22-2014, 21:47
I'm heading up on a Friday and home on Monday.

QHShowoman
04-22-2014, 21:59
Then that will work out perfectly!

FarmerChef
04-23-2014, 09:27
QHS hit the nail on the head. Just make sure to check the schedule and grab an early/late train. If you get there in the middle of the day you're pretty much stuck until the early afternoon commuters start running. Also, there is very limited (last time I checked which was 5 years ago) westbound service in the morning. Same with eastbound in the evening. Double check that too. Otherwise, I always enjoyed my rides.