PDA

View Full Version : Another question about the NeoAite Lite

Different Socks
04-23-2014, 16:08
I have purchased one of these at a great price. I'd like to get the chair sleeve, but nowhere on the CD website does it explain how the pad, once fitted into the sleeve goes from chair back to sleeping pad. Why ask? B/c when looking at the picture, it indicates the bottom part of the pad is doubled over for extra padding to sit on when using it as a chair.
I am wondering, is the pad's entire bottom half of the sleeping pad doubled over to create the chair, or is it simply folded over and stuffed into the sleeve to create that seemingly double layer to sit on?
Anyone know?

MuddyWaters
04-23-2014, 18:01
Im not really sure what a NeoAite Lite is.

But I would never , ever, ever use a neoair xlite as a chair. Ever.

Different Socks
04-23-2014, 18:18
Yes, it is the Neo Air Lite. And yes all thermarest pads can be used as chairs utilizing the sleeve to do it.

Venchka
04-23-2014, 18:28
Perhaps what MuddyWaters is saying is that just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.
I did see a video at You Tube showing a NeoAir pad in the chair thingie. Google will show you the way.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
04-23-2014, 21:37
I have a standing belief that any pad which can be punctured by a pine needle, shouldnt be used for anything but sleeping on the safest of surfaces.

I have a regular and short xlite, like them both ( I like the regular more), but I pamper them and keep them protected deep in the pack.

daddytwosticks
04-24-2014, 07:15
I have a standing belief that any pad which can be punctured by a pine needle, shouldnt be used for anything but sleeping on the safest of surfaces.

I have a regular and short xlite, like them both ( I like the regular more), but I pamper them and keep them protected deep in the pack.

Owned an xlite last year and used it on a couple of hikes. It was very comfortable and lightweight. I returned it because I was scared to death about puncturing the delicate thing. :)

MuddyWaters
04-24-2014, 21:11
xlite is actually 30d material, the exped UL 7 is 20d.

Many just get the xtherm. 70d bottom, similar to normal thermarest, and warmer. One pad for all year as well.

Venchka
04-24-2014, 22:35
xlite is actually 30d material, the exped UL 7 is 20d.

Many just get the xtherm. 70d bottom, similar to normal thermarest, and warmer. One pad for all year as well.

The Xtherm is my current choice for year round use. My only concern: Too hot in the summer. Is this a problem?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-25-2014, 08:47
The suggestion I read from someone who has used the xtherm in warm weather is to flip it over so the reflective side is facing down. Just repeating info though. Haven't experienced it for myself yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
04-25-2014, 18:57
The suggestion I read from someone who has used the xtherm in warm weather is to flip it over so the reflective side is facing down. Just repeating info though. Haven't experienced it for myself yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I remember reading that also. Slipped my mind. Worst case, I'll just have to buy an Xlite for the summer. Grinning. It never ends.

Wayne

Different Socks
04-28-2014, 23:18
Pardon me for asking, the person that responded by saying they would never use their X-lite for sitting/a chair for fear of I presume "punctures".
Would it not matter whether the pad is used for sleeping or sitting or both, either way there is pressure points on it which could lead to punctures?
And BTW, are you telling me you never sit on your x-lite pad while you are on it? Such as using it for drinking coffee or putting on shoes, b/c that's the same thing as using it as a chair. So if you don't sit on it, then it seems to me the only way to get onto it for sleeping would be to roll onto it and off of it. Rather arduous if you ask me.

mak1277
04-29-2014, 08:24
Pardon me for asking, the person that responded by saying they would never use their X-lite for sitting/a chair for fear of I presume "punctures".
Would it not matter whether the pad is used for sleeping or sitting or both, either way there is pressure points on it which could lead to punctures?
And BTW, are you telling me you never sit on your x-lite pad while you are on it? Such as using it for drinking coffee or putting on shoes, b/c that's the same thing as using it as a chair. So if you don't sit on it, then it seems to me the only way to get onto it for sleeping would be to roll onto it and off of it. Rather arduous if you ask me.

Seems to me the issue is the location of use. If you're in a tent, your pad is protected, at least somewhat, by the tent floor. Using the pad as a chair would almost certainly expose it to rocks, sticks, needles, etc. at a higher rate than simply using it as a sleeping pad (or sitting up on it in your tent).

Starchild
04-29-2014, 11:29
Using it as a chair does increase it's use, which increased use would tend to shorten it's life and expose it to more hazards.

One could also argue that the bending of the NeoAir in a preformed pattern (the chair) could weaken it, as well as the higher pressure that may result from the way it is used (folded over and sat upon) could change it's pressure points and force it against the ground harder.

I don't know how much these 2 plays into longevity, but I can see it being a factor.

Considering how critical it is for backpacking, I would be very hesitant to use it as a seat, considering how expensive it is I wouldn't consider it for car camping at all where I can bring a cheaper and heavier one.

Different Socks
04-29-2014, 14:58
And yet, if you are not a gram weenie, you can get the full cover sleeve which would add a layer to prevent any possible punctures.