PDA

View Full Version : words of encouragement

One More
04-23-2014, 21:23
So tonight I took my dog to the park and we only walked a mile and a half. I just wasn't feeling it and kinda bummed bc I'm heading out for 30 miles on at the AT this weekend. When I got home I has to remind myself that it's ok to have those off blah days. It's just about going 1 more step, 1 more corner, 1 more mile, 1 more day and no matter how far you end up going,you went and did it.

Slo-go'en
04-23-2014, 21:33
It's easy to put off going for a long walk - there is always something else to do. Like doing laundry, cleaning house, going grocery shopping, watching TV, wasting time on on the internet forums. But when ever I do finally get around to going out for a long walk, I'm sure glad I did when I get back from it. Be it a couple of miles or a couple of hunderd.

illabelle
04-24-2014, 05:34
I like to focus on the prize: after a short 20-mile section this last weekend (our first of the season), I had some sore muscles and joints, especially going up or down the stairs. But by the third day, the soreness was gone, and as I went up the stairs, I was rewarded with the sensation of iron in my calves. I'm still smiling, (and maybe bragging a little).

daddytwosticks
04-24-2014, 07:08
When you are old and physically unable to walk, maybe even to the bathroom, you will be very sorry you didn't go on that long walk. I saw an advertisement once on the back cover of a magazine: "Never ever stop moving". I'd like that put on my headstone. :)

HikerMom58
04-24-2014, 09:00
So tonight I took my dog to the park and we only walked a mile and a half. I just wasn't feeling it and kinda bummed bc I'm heading out for 30 miles on at the AT this weekend. When I got home I has to remind myself that it's ok to have those off blah days. It's just about going 1 more step, 1 more corner, 1 more mile, 1 more day and no matter how far you end up going,you went and did it.

You are fine, One More. Just keep moving. :D When you get on the trail, just take your time and enjoy every sight and sound. Welcome to WB... nice to have you here!

fredmugs
04-24-2014, 09:19
I know this doesn't apply to you but I always tell my out of shape friends who want to start exercising that anything is better than nothing. A lot of the time the hardest thing for me is to get that first 5 or 10 minutes in. I'm training for a PCT hike and there are days when I just have to shut it down. Once you get on the trail your focus will change and you'll be fine.

mak1277
04-24-2014, 09:21
A quote I particularly relate to: "I spent a terribly long portion of my life walking before I discovered hiking." (Frank Lee Ruggles, former NPS photographer).

Personally, I don't really enjoy walking all that much. Don't like walking around my neighborhood, in parks, on the treadmill. It's boring as could be. Hiking is a completely different story though. I look forward to every one of my hikes/backpacks with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning....but I dread even the thought of a boring walk.

Theosus
04-24-2014, 09:39
I can't compare hiking to walking. I don't like walking around the neighborhood or anything. I do the treadmill, maybe 2 miles every other day, but I watch a movie on the ipad while I'm doing it. Hiking is different. I did 36 miles over a three day weekend. It was tough, but I handled it. Hiking offers the chance to see new things and challenge the body. A mile walk around the neighborhood is just dull, just houses and dogs that owners don't know how to keep fenced in.

illabelle
04-24-2014, 14:39
I look forward to every one of my hikes/backpacks with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning....but I dread even the thought of a boring walk.

On the two-hour drive to the trailhead for our recent weekend hike, I was singin' about everything: the tree or the creek or the buildings beside the road, the traffic, the clouds, the leaves, the hills, dips, and curves of the road - all of it nonsense of course. Didn't realize it at first, but the anticipation of our hike is what put me in a GREAT mood.
:sun :jump

Hill Ape
04-24-2014, 14:53
Sometimes, we see what God puts in front of us. Recently I've developed a neurological nerve condition, and now walk on a cane, not well. I've shouldered a great deal medically, coped by going off on the trail. The thought of losing that escape, that relief... that scares me.

Better everyday. And my encouragement?

I will walk the Roan Highlands again. I have to believe that to my bones

My son recently had a touch of the profound. i loved it.

Man I just want a beer, My dog and my guitar. A good joint and a girls head on my chest to watch the clouds over the hills