PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale

he.who.forgets
04-24-2014, 16:17
Can someone school me on what to expect? I've never been to one of these garage sales and was just curious as to how much discounted gear is going to be available and at how deep of a discount typically. I'm hoping to pick up a sleeping bag as it will probably be my single biggest purchase for my gear acquisition. I know they do a lottery system of some sort in the morning and only let so many people in at a time. If I'm the third or fourth group to be let in, will all the good deals be snatched up already? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks folks

TNhiker
04-24-2014, 16:19
each store has their own deals/prices/inventory, so it would be hard to tell you if all the good deals will be snatched up............

MDSection12
04-24-2014, 16:26
I just attended my first. There wasn't a ton of stuff and it was picked over quickly. I don't think it's a viable way to shop for anything specific, you just have to go ready for whatever may be available and hope to get lucky. It did also seem like sleeping bags and packs went first (there were none when I got in, but several people walking around the store having just bought them).

That said, I got a seemingly brand new North Face fleece for $20 and a pair of very lightly worn Vasque boots with Vibram soles for $30. Pretty phenomenal deals in my mind.

Studlintsean
04-24-2014, 16:48
I just attended my first. There wasn't a ton of stuff and it was picked over quickly. I don't think it's a viable way to shop for anything specific, you just have to go ready for whatever may be available and hope to get lucky. It did also seem like sleeping bags and packs went first (there were none when I got in, but several people walking around the store having just bought them).

That said, I got a seemingly brand new North Face fleece for $20 and a pair of very lightly worn Vasque boots with Vibram soles for $30. Pretty phenomenal deals in my mind.

I didnt realize they resell the sleeping bags in MD. Here in VA it is illegal.

QHShowoman
04-24-2014, 16:50
What's sold at Garage Sales are items that have been returned in used or damaged condition, that REI can no longer sell as "new." This is probably a good time to go, because most stores have sales every 3 months or so, so this is about the time that the Garage Sales will be chock full of stuff that people got for Christmas and returned for whatever reasons.

There's no set "discount." The price depends on the age/model of the item and the condition.

People usually line up at a the crack of dawn for these sales, so if your store opens at 10am, expect people to start lining up around 8am, if not earlier. It's crazy. The REI I worked at just let people in all at once and it was pretty hysterical to watch them all sprint through the store to the Garage Sale room. It's nuts.

Edited to add: It helps when you go with some ideas of what you're looking for in mind and what the regular retail price is. Some people snatch up stuff thinking they're getting it at a great price when, in reality, it's only 10% off the retail price and damaged or used. And it also helps to have a good sense of what is/isn't a good idea to buy used ... take your time. If there's a sleeping pad, unroll and inflate it, make sure it doesn't leak. Make sure tents have all their poles and stakes, etc.

johnnybgood
04-24-2014, 17:11
It's orderly chaos for the most part . Get there at midnight and camp outside f the store allows .
Tents, hammocks and backpacks are picked over quickly. Same for down jackets and anything brand name.
I've gotten some sweet deals, especially on shoes which seem to multiply from one yard sale to the next.

Last time I bought 3 pair of shoes for $5.83 a pair. Two had been returned brand new.

Shutterbug
04-24-2014, 17:32
Can someone school me on what to expect? I've never been to one of these garage sales and was just curious as to how much discounted gear is going to be available and at how deep of a discount typically. I'm hoping to pick up a sleeping bag as it will probably be my single biggest purchase for my gear acquisition. I know they do a lottery system of some sort in the morning and only let so many people in at a time. If I'm the third or fourth group to be let in, will all the good deals be snatched up already? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks folks

I have been to garage sales in three different stores. Each store has its own rules. The one constant at each of the stores was very low prices.

There are always a lot of boots, shoes and clothing items. I have not found a lot of hiking gear. There are sometimes sleeping bags.

Some items are like new. Perhaps they were just the wrong size for the original purchaser. Other items are repairable. Some are good only for parts.

The last several garage sales I have attended had lot of Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. It seems that people either love them or hate them. Those who hate them take them back to REI. If you have wanted to try them, but have been turned away by the price, the garage sale is an opportunity to get a pair cheap. You will need to know your European size (11 US = 44 Eur) before you go.

Venchka
04-24-2014, 17:36
Here in Houston, I arrived at 7am for a store opening at 9am. I got into the back room with the stuff around 11am. Needless to say, it was a waste of a good morning.
From what I gather, the line starts forming at closing time the night before. Add to that, the one designated "place holder" who has a gang of friends show up an hour os so before the store opens.
Good luck.

Wayne

he.who.forgets
04-24-2014, 18:53
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. My store is doing a lottery system, allowing about 40 shoppers in at a time. Each group will have about 45 minutes access to the garage sale items and then must vacate for the next group. It starts at 9 and I plan to get there around 8. If I weren't working late the night before I'd get there earlier, but oh well. I'll update this thread with my finds.

he.who.forgets
04-24-2014, 19:01
edit to above post. The lottery prevents anyone from having to get their early so as long as I'm there by 8:30am everyone has the same chance to be chosen first. I've officially reached gear junkie status

Feral Bill
04-24-2014, 20:41
Lot's of junk, with some gems hidden among it. Go as an outing, early, and you could get lucky. Don't be disappointed if you strike out.

rhjanes
04-24-2014, 20:45
I think some stores have about quit doing it. On of the Dallas stores set up close out and over stock shelves for the shoes. Some good buys, always changing.

Sent from my Plactim Clatue communication device

squeezebox
04-25-2014, 03:06
Last time I went I got 2 tents $100 each for reg. $350 price, so go with no expectations, and see what finds you.

Namtrag
04-25-2014, 08:15
Ours was 90% shoes. Hardly any gear.

tarditi
04-25-2014, 08:16
Getting a good number is key - by the time we got there (somewhere int he middle) a lot of the good stuff (the stuff I was looking for) was picked over.
There was plenty of old stock that never sold (tons of dog stuff)
Scratch & dent was hit or miss...
Clothing items were plentiful if you wear small or medium
Footwear - same as clothing - common sizes were gone; condition ranged from nearly new to last few miles of service
Anything pnuematic likely has a leak (many may be repairable if you're undaunted by the challenge)

NOTHING at the garage sale can be returned or exchanged.

Ktaadn
04-25-2014, 11:07
The stores around here don't use a lottery, so getting there early is key. If you are in the first group, you will likely find some fantastic deals. My wife and I have probably bought 10 pairs of shoes for anywhere from 15% to 30% of retail. They were all very lightly used. Usually someone buys them, uses them once and says, 'they made my knees hurt' and returns them.

You do have to be willing to be a little aggressive about grabbing things that you see. Polite, but aggressive.

We have also bought pants, coats, shirts, etc. I've never been lucky enough to find the right sleeping bag for me but I did buy a $450 dollar tent for 50 bucks. The tent was the floor model and had never even been outside. Some kid had pulled the zipper off. I spent 10 minutes in my basement fixing it and had a brand new tent. If an employee is standing around, ask them questions about an item you are interested in. They sometimes have good information. One time, I also bought a $425 pair of mountaineering boots for $50 and resold them on Craigslist for $220. I was like a dancing banana that day.

he.who.forgets
04-26-2014, 11:58
Ended up purchasing a used Sierra Designs Zissou 23 long sleeping bag. No defects that I can notice, nice loft, plenty roomy and compresses nicely. Retails for $250, and I paid $120. May not end up being my AT thru bag of choice but I think it was a pretty nice bargain. Excited to try it out in a couple months in the PacNW. There was plenty of other stuff but I had my sights on a bag and the 30 minute time limit just didn't allow too much browsing.

cjp28803
04-26-2014, 20:55
I've been to two different stores that used the lottery system and it worked great. I never go looking for specific items but have come out with some gems. Worn once hiking boots for me and my son - $40 total ( the best deal since I was actually shopping for boots). A never used Steripen for $20. I once got 7 random stuff sacks for $5. My dad got a spork for a quarter.