PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking locations with self registration/easy last minute permits?

Cuacoatchoo
04-24-2014, 19:48
I have off May 3-11 and I would like to ask for some help finding a good backpacking trip. I got pretty frustrated with the permiting process earlier this spring and was planning on doing Shenandoah National Park here locally so I could just not worry about ite. Well my friends and family know I've done quite a few day trips thru that area and so I was surprised when they heavily encouraged me to reconsider, and do something that would be more of an adventure...

So if anyone has recommendations. I'm looking to do 70-100 miles solo hike. Main criteria are:

Outside Virginia
Easy or relaxed permiting requirements achievable for my dates.
Mountain/canyons
Continental US

My experience level: I'm mostly a weekend backpacker (1-2 nights). I've done SNP, Damascus, White mountains, Sedona. I'd like to use this week to do something longer for training purposes and to practice meal planning. I feel pretty comfortable hiking 12-15 miles/day. I have hiked 25 miles in a day before pretty easily but did not pack enough calories that trip and hit a wall the next day.

Thank you in advance

Slo-go'en
04-24-2014, 20:07
The AT north of the Smokies is pretty nice this time of year. Either Hot springs to Erwin or Erwin to Damascus would do and since it's close to home you don't loose much time in traveling.

The only place on the AT you need permits/reservations is the Smokies and frankly, I perfer the sections north of there. Stay out of National Parks and your fine. Pleanty of other places to go.

Cuacoatchoo
04-24-2014, 20:25
Yeah.. stupid smokies is one of the places I was looking earlier. They sound great, but I didn't like the rigid feel of having to stick to an itinerary with the hut hopping.

Damascus did have an excelliant brewery in town... i'll keep that in mind.