PDA

View Full Version : Tarp-Tent Advice: ZPacks Hexamid vs MLD Grace Cuben Fiber

hurricaneisaac
04-24-2014, 21:23
First post. For a future AT thru hike, I am contemplating between the ZPacks Hexamid Solo with a bathtub groundsheet & bug screen at 14.3 oz & MLD Grace Cuben Fiber with the bug bivy at 10.9 oz. Should I also consider the MLD Superlight Bivy? I am concerned about the bug screen on the Hexamid soaking up mud. Any alternatives will be considered. Thanks

handlebar
04-25-2014, 00:08
Just finished the Sheltowee Trace with Zpacks Hexamid Solo+. Several rainy days. Zero problem with mud. Very slight misting in wind driven rain during all-night thunderstorms on a ridge top, but not enough to cause a problem with my down sleeping bag. The Cuben dries very quickly if there is a break in the rain.

q-tip
04-25-2014, 11:00
I have a numer of planning spreadsheets including gear lists with costs and weights, food and calorie lists and physical training book. If interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward. I have tried several shelter options and have settled ont the Tarp Tent Contrail. It is 10 oz heavier than my tarp, but a more consistent shelter in a variety of weather conditions.....

hurricaneisaac
04-25-2014, 15:44
Thanks for the info on the mud & condensation. Not sure about condensation on the Grace.

daddytwosticks
04-25-2014, 15:50
Just finished the Sheltowee Trace with Zpacks Hexamid Solo+. Several rainy days. Zero problem with mud. Very slight misting in wind driven rain during all-night thunderstorms on a ridge top, but not enough to cause a problem with my down sleeping bag. The Cuben dries very quickly if there is a break in the rain.
Isn't the Hexamid made out of Cuben? Does Cuben "mist" like silnylon? I thought one of the benefits of Cuben vs. silnylon was the fact that Cuben does not mist? :)

Violent Green
04-28-2014, 12:48
Isn't the Hexamid made out of Cuben? Does Cuben "mist" like silnylon? I thought one of the benefits of Cuben vs. silnylon was the fact that Cuben does not mist? :)

Misting is often condensation being knocked off by large drops of rain. Sometimes not. Tough to say without being there. But, generally cuben will not allow water penetration.

Ryan

Starchild
04-28-2014, 13:36

+1 (with some insignificant detail changes.)

Starchild
04-28-2014, 13:45

Cuban does not hold as much water on it's wetted surface. Silnylon can hold a lot more. This means with misting (rain striking one side and knowcking water loose on the other) the cuban will have less water clinging to the inside to mist. It also means it packs dryer even if you pack it while it's still raining.

The misting in the post you quoted is a different kind of misting at least how I experienced the zpack heximid. The tent itself does not totally enclose itself under it's cuban fiber tarp, there is bug netting that sideways driven rain can get into and on some occasions, usually splashed off of surfaces, a mist will reflect at the angle to get inside through the netting.

Pitching the tent in the right direction with respect to the wind, lowering the tent and staking it lower to the ground, both help mitigate this, Also placing a item or items such as your backpack and a small foam sit upon against the netting on the inside also help to help block the opening. It is really something to be aware of with that tent but it is also totally usable in those conditions, just something one needs to compensate for.