PDA

View Full Version : Lower Shoal Shelter Condition

traildude
04-24-2014, 21:59
My brother and I are planning on hiking Pinhoti section 9 Northbound Monday into Tuesday with the intention of staying at the Lower Shoal Shelter Monday night. Does anyone know the condition of this shelter? Given the weather conditions for that night and the next morning I would like to think we could stay some what dry in the shelter. Thanks for any information given.

traildude
04-24-2014, 22:01
That's Monday April 28 into Tuesday April 29th.

blisterbob
04-25-2014, 06:52
That's my favorite Pinhoti shelter.
My wife and I stayed there last month. I saw no indication that the roof has been leaking.
It is in a low area by 2 streams and would also be protected from wind.

Drybones
04-25-2014, 07:47
It's a good shelter, although I always pitch a tent on the flat spot where the two streams intersect, don't leave anything on the picnic table, coons ate a cigar, part of a candle, and chewed the plastic cup I'd been drinking hot chocolate from that evening...nice spot to spend the night.

traildude
04-25-2014, 14:10
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear it's in good shape. Now the severity of the weather will determine whether we go or not.

blisterbob
04-25-2014, 15:54
, although I always pitch a tent on the flat spot where the two streams intersect,

Did the hammock hanging not work out for you?

Drybones
04-25-2014, 21:23
Did the hammock hanging not work out for you?

Still working on that, have made two hammocks and a tarp, I'll use what I have until Fall but need to make an UQ before cold weather, hope I get a chance to meet you BB one of these days.

blisterbob
04-26-2014, 06:21
My wife took an old sleeping bag with a 30 degree rating and a broken zipper and made UQ's for both of us.
It works well for as cold as I want to be on the trail.

Drybones
04-26-2014, 21:47
My wife took an old sleeping bag with a 30 degree rating and a broken zipper and made UQ's for both of us.
It works well for as cold as I want to be on the trail.

I thought about converting an old 750 down bag to an UQ now that I have a new Marmot Helium, but for some reason I just keep takng that old bag instead of the new one, kinda like an old pair of shoes, they just feel good even tho they may look like crap, I'll probably just make an UQ from scratch before cold weather and hiking season.