PDA

View Full Version : NB thru hike leaving tomorrow! What am I doing wrong?

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 12:46
This is my first post on here so sorry if it is not in the right spot but I am leaving tomorrow for my first thru hike and I was hoping some of you could tell me what I am not doing right (even if I don't listen). Also maybe you can tell me what else I should or shouldn't be bringing with me. Really any advice is appreciated.

I am bringing my dog, Stitch with me. She is a 1.5 year old 35 lbs Australian cattle dog. I have no worries with how much she can do. In the 1.5 yrs I have had her I have not been able to tire her yet. I just got all of her yearly vaccines done and I will be bringing 3 months worth of both Heartguard for hearworms, and Frontline Plus for the ticks. She was also vaccinated for Lyme. One thing I am not sure of is what I will feed her. I tried to get her to wear a pack so she could carry her own food but I have yet to find one she could wear that would not drag on the ground or fit her right. As of now I will be sharing what I can with her until I find a way to get food for her along the trail.

I never did set up any mail drops or anything like that. I figure that when I find my average pace I will be able to look further down my AT book and decide if I want to get mail sent at that time or not and I will call home ahead of time. I am just going to wing it with how far I go at first so I will not worry about setting up where I will stay every night. I will have a hammock so I can find a spot if I don't end up getting to any shelter along the way. I want to finish by the end of August but it wont be the end of the world if its a little longer.

This is my detailed gearlist as of now. Hopefully you guys can help me fix it up.

1 gregory baltoro75 pack

MAP
1 2014 NB AT guide by David Miller
1 compass

SHELTER
1 eno nest hammock with bug nest and 100' of 550 paracord.
1 Jacks r better sniviler quilt
1 small fleece blanket for cold nights(optional)
1 sea to summit bag for hammock and quilt
1 8x10 tarp

FIRE
2 small lighters
1 small container of Vasaline (tip from lady at rei)
1 pocket rocket stove
1 titanium stove/cup combo
1 long spoon

WATER
1 sawyer mini filter (connected to 2L camelpak)
1 backflow pump
1 small sawyer water reservoir (Optional)
1 2L camelpak

CLOTHES
1 saucony peregrine 4.0 trail running shoes
1 light pair of sandals/toe shoes (for nights or when shoes are not wearable)
2 darn tough socks
1 REI convertible pants
1 belt
1 athletic shorts
1 synthetic t shirt
1 long sleeve running shirt
1 bandanna
1 beanie
1 paktowel

FIRST AID
1 motrin
1 claritin
1 benadrill anti itch
1 antiseptic
1 neosporin
1 duct tape

HYGIENE
1 wet ones
1 proglide anti chafe
1 small deodorant
1 toothbrush/toothpaste
1 dental floss
1 sea to summit citronella super concentrated wash
2 xxs sponges
1 tweezers
1 nail clippers

FOOD
5 ziplock bags
1 small bear bag
5 days worth of mre's
10 starbucks instant coffee
sugar??? (idk a good way to pack sugar without it getting everywhere)

ELECTRONICS
1 gopro
1 gopro case w/ extra backing
2 gopro batteries
1 Microdisk memory card
1 gopro antifog
1 gopro headstrap
1 gopro charging chord
1 phone
1 phone charging chord
1 headphones
1 ipod shuffle
1 ipod shuffle charging chord
2 USB charger

DOG
1 Leash
1 3 month supply of hearguard
1 3 month supply of frontline
1 small paw pad rubbing cream
1 water/food bowl

MISC
1 gerber knife
1 wallet
1 collapsable fishing pole
10 small lures and box

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 13:02
Do you have a sleeping pad or underquilt?
Tree straps for the hammock?

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 13:03
Warm jacket?
Rain jacket?

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 13:07
Ditch the fishing gear. And the gopro (seriously that is a whole lb of crap just for a couple of shaky, poorly framed videos).

And seriously reconsider leaving the dog. Especially since it sounds like you've never backpacked with it before.

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 13:11
Headlamp? Water treatment?

CELTIC BUCK
04-25-2014, 13:11
I WOULD SUGGEST for your pup dog boots several pair ; something for pulling ticks; bring copy of vet records & info on the dogs collar such as rabbies vaccine tag and contact # in case the dog & you lose each other .high energy food for the pup and a dog pack that fits him. have you planned for the Smokies and Baxter where dogs are not allowed??Best of Luck

QHShowoman
04-25-2014, 13:14
You probably won't need the compass.
And if you insist on bringing the dog, you'll need to pack in your dog's food for at least the first few days. If she's used to a particular brand, you may want to get it mail dropped. And remember that your dogs dietary needs will increase as yours will too.

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 13:15
Have you used this hammock setup before? 8x10 sounds abit small for tarp to use with an Eno hammock.

ocasey3
04-25-2014, 13:20
You may want to reconsider the MREs as they are really heavy. At least open them up and get rid of the stuff you don't really need.

bigcranky
04-25-2014, 13:26
The dog is going to need more food than usual, and you'll need to carry it (for now, anyway.) Just sharing a little of your food with her isn't going to work.

Tha hammock is fine (and comfortable!) but do yourself a big favor and get at least a 3/4-length closed cell foam pad, like a RidgeRest, or you will freeze. A pad is the cheap and easy way to insulate a hammock, and it'll work fine.

Also, get a small closed cell foam pad for your dog to sleep on, under your hammock at night (unless you plan to bring her in the hammock with you.) Maybe a small fleece blanket for her, too. You could buy a full length CCF pad and cut off a small part of it for the dog, and use the rest in your hammock.

You can resupply your own food 3 or 4 days up the trail at Neels Gap. You may need to hitch into town to get dog food (not sure if the outfitter there carries it.)

Take it easy -- you're hiking your dog's hike, not your own, in a lot of ways. Have fun.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:37
I forgot to put my fleece jacket my and my poncho on the list. I will leave the gopro and maybe just bring fishing line with me, but I have hiked with Stitch a lot so I will be bringing her for sure. I have just never done anything over a week with her so I was worried about bringing food for her long term. I don't think its going to be good to have her eating my scraps for 4-5 months.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:41
I tried the boots and she doesn't like them at all. She spent the entire hike trying to chew them off last time. I have tweezers that I have always used at home to pull them off of her and I. I was hoping to hear from someone that has hiked through baxter and the smokies. I am not sure what I will do about that yet...

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:43
Its actually about 10x12. I had an 8x10 and your right, its was too small. I cut up a really big one to fit it right this time. I wish i could afford the fancy rain flys but they are just too much for me.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:48
You may want to reconsider the MREs as they are really heavy. At least open them up and get rid of the stuff you don't really need.

I opened them all up and took out the junk... I'm not actually going to be using mre's the entire time. My brother came home and gave me a ton of them so I am just taking what I want out of all of them.

I also dehydrated a ton of fruit and made some jerky and trail mix. I put everything in little snack packs that I will have sent to me eventually. I will also be stopping at towns to resupply so I just didn't put all of the food that I have already.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:49
Have you used this hammock setup before? 8x10 sounds abit small for tarp to use with an Eno hammock.
Its actually about 10x12. I had an 8x10 and your right, its was too small. I cut up a really big one to fit it right this time. I wish i could afford the fancy rain flys but they are just too much for me.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:50
I WOULD SUGGEST for your pup dog boots several pair ; something for pulling ticks; bring copy of vet records & info on the dogs collar such as rabbies vaccine tag and contact # in case the dog & you lose each other .high energy food for the pup and a dog pack that fits him. have you planned for the Smokies and Baxter where dogs are not allowed??Best of Luck
I tried the boots and she doesn't like them at all. She spent the entire hike trying to chew them off last time. I have tweezers that I have always used at home to pull them off of her and I. I was hoping to hear from someone that has hiked through baxter and the smokies. I am not sure what I will do about that yet...

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 13:53
Warm jacket?
Rain jacket?
I forgot to put my fleece jacket my and my poncho on the list. Thanks. I will leave the gopro and maybe just bring fishing line with me, but I have hiked with Stitch a lot so I will be bringing her for sure. I have just never done anything over a week with her so I was worried about bringing food for her long term. I don't think its going to be good to have her eating my scraps for 4-5 months.
I also dont have straps. I have used paracord and it has worked well so far. I try to put something between the rope and the tree usually to help with stripping the bark off but I feel like the straps will do the same. Have you used straps before?

Old Hiker
04-25-2014, 13:59
................................... I don't think its going to be good to have her eating my scraps for 4-5 months.

Never hiked with my dog(s) for any serious distance, but after the first week or so, you won't HAVE any scraps. I never did.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 14:05
The dog is going to need more food than usual, and you'll need to carry it (for now, anyway.) Just sharing a little of your food with her isn't going to work.

Tha hammock is fine (and comfortable!) but do yourself a big favor and get at least a 3/4-length closed cell foam pad, like a RidgeRest, or you will freeze. A pad is the cheap and easy way to insulate a hammock, and it'll work fine.

Also, get a small closed cell foam pad for your dog to sleep on, under your hammock at night (unless you plan to bring her in the hammock with you.) Maybe a small fleece blanket for her, too. You could buy a full length CCF pad and cut off a small part of it for the dog, and use the rest in your hammock.

You can resupply your own food 3 or 4 days up the trail at Neels Gap. You may need to hitch into town to get dog food (not sure if the outfitter there carries it.)

Take it easy -- you're hiking your dog's hike, not your own, in a lot of ways. Have fun.

Thanks a ton for the advice on the pads! I have had a cold butt many of times in my hammock. I dont bring a pad usually because I spend the majority of the night trying not to let it slip out from under. I may have to get one anyway for the shelters but I was hoping I could save on space and weight by not bringing one.

The dog is small so I keep her in the hammock usually to keep her and I warm. From what everyone has said so far I will probably end up packing her dog food. I was just hoping to find something that I could pack for her and I to eat healthy. I feel if I bring food that both of us could eat it would be much more efficient.

CarlZ993
04-25-2014, 14:09
Good luck. A 75 L pack is really big for a thru-hiker. As you go along, you may determine that you need less stuff & can go w/ a smaller pack.

I'm partial to hiking poles. I recommend them. Some try them & really like them. Some don't. But, those that don't often ask to 'borrow' a spare pole from someone who carries them on water crossings or some tricky trail.

Dogs are an extra PITA & expense. Uncontrolled dogs running around in a shelter happened more times that I liked. I worried about them puncturing my NeoAir. One dog in NY tried to bite any hiker it could get near. In fact, I only met one dog on the trail that was what I considered a perfect hiking dog: immediately obedient on voice command & friendly to other hikers (Dags w/ his owner Tracker). FYI - I love dogs but don't currently have one as I'm gone from home for extended periods of time. If I had a dog, I would not take him/her on a thru-hike.

flemdawg1
04-25-2014, 14:20
I forgot to put my fleece jacket my and my poncho on the list. Thanks. I will leave the gopro and maybe just bring fishing line with me, but I have hiked with Stitch a lot so I will be bringing her for sure. I have just never done anything over a week with her so I was worried about bringing food for her long term. I don't think its going to be good to have her eating my scraps for 4-5 months.
I also dont have straps. I have used paracord and it has worked well so far. I try to put something between the rope and the tree usually to help with stripping the bark off but I feel like the straps will do the same. Have you used straps before?

The straps protect the trees pretty well by spreading the shear forces exerted on the tree bark. I own these and they wirk very well. http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Nest-Slap-Strap-Pro/dp/B00AU2TH7K

Thanks a ton for the advice on the pads! I have had a cold butt many of times in my hammock. I dont bring a pad usually because I spend the majority of the night trying not to let it slip out from under. I may have to get one anyway for the shelters but I was hoping I could save on space and weight by not bringing one.

The dog is small so I keep her in the hammock usually to keep her and I warm. From what everyone has said so far I will probably end up packing her dog food. I was just hoping to find something that I could pack for her and I to eat healthy. I feel if I bring food that both of us could eat it would be much more efficient.

Definately get a pad. I use a Prolite Plus. And its good for shelters and stays put well enough to use in my hammock (ENO singlenest). I've have been cold with it a couple of windy nights though, but can't imagine how much I'd freeze without it.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 14:30
Good luck. A 75 L pack is really big for a thru-hiker. As you go along, you may determine that you need less stuff & can go w/ a smaller pack.

I'm partial to hiking poles. I recommend them. Some try them & really like them. Some don't. But, those that don't often ask to 'borrow' a spare pole from someone who carries them on water crossings or some tricky trail.

Dogs are an extra PITA & expense. Uncontrolled dogs running around in a shelter happened more times that I liked. I worried about them puncturing my NeoAir. One dog in NY tried to bite any hiker it could get near. In fact, I only met one dog on the trail that was what I considered a perfect hiking dog: immediately obedient on voice command & friendly to other hikers (Dags w/ his owner Tracker). FYI - I love dogs but don't currently have one as I'm gone from home for extended periods of time. If I had a dog, I would not take him/her on a thru-hike.

I can completely understand and to an extent I would agree that most dogs should not thru hike because they are not trained enough and they can become a nuisance for everyone else on the trails and at the shelters. I can also understand why most people on here would think of my dog as the same as every other dog they have seen. I don't like when people believe that their dogs are different and everyone will love their dog weather they are actually trained or not.

I have taken Stitch out many times and trained her to be able to stop exactly when I say stop, turn around and come back whenever I say come(the FIRST time). I have taken her by myself and with people. She will not jump on anyone. She will chase something only if I tell her to. She will not beg anyone else but she will sit by me and wait for food since she usually eats what I eat. She also stays right by my side 95% of the time.

I have noticed that even though most people like dogs, most people also do not like dogs that are not theirs jumping on their expensive gear, getting more mud everywhere, and scaring off the wildlife that they came to see. For that reason I made sure to train her before starting off, but I will have no problem sleeping in my hammock instead of shelters if someone has a problem with her. I will suffer because it is my choice to bring my best friend, but I will not ask everyone else to do the same.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 14:33

Thanks for the advice on the poles. I cant decide on weather or not to bring one. Could you suggest an inexpensive set worth getting?

Slo-go'en
04-25-2014, 17:33
Your leaving tomorrow and just now trying to figure out all these little details? This does not bode well, especially due to the dog.

You can not take your dog through the Smokies or into Baxter. You have two options for the Smokies - pay $250 to $300 to kennel the dog while you hike through the park or find a way around. It's not practical to walk around and it's a really long hitch hike or expensive shuttle.

Dogs do okay for the first 400 miles or so, after that they fade due to the heat and not getting enough to eat. Few dogs make it through PA (where shoes and dogs go to die) and it is an exceptional dog which makes it all the way. Most dogs don't make it out of NC/TN. You might think your dog is different, but chances are it's not.

I think you'll have some gear issues, but that is easy enough to take care of, it just takes money. You'll figure that out soon enough or go home.

Whitegypse
04-25-2014, 18:18
Your leaving tomorrow and just now trying to figure out all these little details? This does not bode well, especially due to the dog.

You can not take your dog through the Smokies or into Baxter. You have two options for the Smokies - pay $250 to $300 to kennel the dog while you hike through the park or find a way around. It's not practical to walk around and it's a really long hitch hike or expensive shuttle.

Dogs do okay for the first 400 miles or so, after that they fade due to the heat and not getting enough to eat. Few dogs make it through PA (where shoes and dogs go to die) and it is an exceptional dog which makes it all the way. Most dogs don't make it out of NC/TN. You might think your dog is different, but chances are it's not.

I think you'll have some gear issues, but that is easy enough to take care of, it just takes money. You'll figure that out soon enough or go home.

I am actually going to my brothers in NC tomorrow, and sunday he will be driving me there so it is two days, but yes I understand there is a lot I have not considered. That is why I have come to you. Late. I am already leaving late so I don't want to push it back any further than I have already.

I have heard that I can pay to have someone take Stitch around for me when I get there which is my plan right now but I was hoping there was another way. I will still talk to people along the way and hopefully find a route that will not be too far out of the way. I figure if she doesn't make it then she doesn't. I can have someone get her if I have to, but I am going to do whatever I can to help her make it. At least as far as she can get.

Blissful
04-30-2014, 11:06
You'll be wishing for lighter stuff about a week in. Neel gap is a good place to ditch things (like deo, extra knives etc You are also carrying tons of electronics). You're doing a later start too - might consider a flip flop instead. Not sure if you can successfully do a thru this late in the season unless you are in good hiking shape. With the weight you are carrying, it seems doubtful. Just my observation. One thing you dont have enough of is socks. Three pairs needed at least. Its amazing how much hikers carry tons of other stuff but skimp on socks.

Slo-go'en
04-30-2014, 16:43
If he left Sunday as he planned, he should be getting to Neels gap about now. Maybe he'll check in and tell us how he made out.