PDA

View Full Version : Seam seal and waterproofing a tent

al_stargazer
04-25-2014, 13:26
We have had our tent for several years now. We have used it on all of our hiking trips. We are planning a week long trip to the AT this summer. My questions is, do I need to reseal the seams and rewaterproof it? I just want to make sure we stay dry if/when we get rained on during our trip. If I do need to reseal, what products are good brands to use? Thanks for any suggestions.

perrito
04-25-2014, 13:54
If you decide to do your seam seal, I can highly recommend this product (http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex-flowable-silicone-windshield-glass-sealer-detail). Available in most auto parts store, at least by me. No mixing, no fuss. Just run a bead over all stitches and seams. I love it. It'll be best to do it stretched over a table or else it may run.

Old Hiker
04-25-2014, 13:55
LightHeart Gear recommends 1/2 : 1/2 pure silicone caulk and mineral spirits. I sealed my SoLong 6 using a one inch foam brush and it works great. My old ALPS Zypher 1 that I had sealed several years ago with Coleman (?) brand leaked. After re-sealing with the LightHeart Gear recommendation, it was leak-proof as well.

I'd re-seal your tent, just to be sure.

Not sure about how to re-waterproof it.

Venchka
04-25-2014, 16:53
Set your tent up in the backyard. Turn a sprinkler for an hour or so. Check the inside of the tent. Stop leaks if required.

Wayne

Franco
04-25-2014, 19:13
To seam seal a tent you need to know what material your tent is made off.
The silicone sealer suggested above works with siliconised nylon (silnylon) with most other types of fabric you seal the seam with a urethane based glue ike Seam Grip.
The same for the fly.
IF it is silnylon you can get a silicone spray (not the lubricant type, it will be advertised as fabric waterproofing spray) for tents that have a PU coating (sort of rubbery feel on the underside) you use a product like Tent Sure (McNett)

scrabbler
04-25-2014, 21:17
Wouldn't Seam Grip be a bit "goopy", or is that the consistency that's desired for urethane? Seeing the ratios for making silnylon sealers, they would seem to be more watery, but I haven't tried those recipes yet so I don't know. Hence this question.. for urethane.

Venchka
04-25-2014, 22:21
Both of my tents are sealed with Seam Grip. The same stuff used for wet suits. I set my double wall tent up indoors with the inside out. When the sealer was well cured and not sticky, I turned it over and sealed the other side of the seams. The floor was treated the same way. My other tent is a single wall and I sealed all the seams on both sides. It works.
Before you spend a week sealing seams, check the tent outside with a hose. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
04-25-2014, 22:23
Forgot a word. I turned the fly inside out.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Franco
04-25-2014, 22:32
Post 6
Seam Grip for the seams (yes it is a bit thick...) and Tent Sure for the fly (if needed)