PDA

View Full Version : Patches

Penn-J
04-25-2014, 15:45
I was wondering about patches. I know that some hikers like to put them on their pack, but lately, I've been putting them on a bulletin board that hangs in my bedroom.

I also keep a postcard from when I was at Walden Pond on the board that reads,
" I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

I like to see it and let it remind me that I have had some amazing adventures!
It's funny, I used to think "I don't need to show off where I hiked" But now I like to be reminded of my adventures. Not to show off to other people, but really just for myself.

I was wondering how many miles of a trail do you have to hike to display a patch?

For instance, I have an Appalachian Trail patch on the board with the 2000 miler rocker patch under it. (I thru hiked in 09)

I also have a Pacific Crest Trail patch up there. I hiked 1000 miles of it in 2012. It didn't turn out to be a thru hike but I feel 1000 miles is enough to display the patch. (Without the rocker patch under it of course)

I like the job I'm at these days and don't foresee any long distance thru hikes in the near future so all of my adventures are gonna be weekends, vacation time etc...

So say someone uses their two week vacation and does a section of a long trail like the Colorado, Arizona or Benton MacKaye Trail, can they display the patch? I would think so.

This year I'm gonna tackle the Tahoe Rim Trail. (then get the patch) lol

Mags
04-25-2014, 20:21
I don't think there is any rule for displaying a patch. It is a symbol of something you love. If you loved your time on The Colorado Trail, and want to keep a memento of it on your wall, go for it. :)

Penn-J
04-25-2014, 22:36
Thanks Mags.

Glacier
04-26-2014, 15:18
I don't think there is any rule for displaying a patch. It is a symbol of something you love. If you loved your time on The Colorado Trail, and want to keep a memento of it on your wall, go for it. :)

+1 I agree with mags

Old Hiker
04-26-2014, 15:26
I'm looking to collect the AT patches from all the states I finally make it completely through. So far, GA, NC, TN. I have a poster map on my wall, but a bulletin board sounds cool. I have one wall in the bedroom that my wife lets me have for "almost-manly" stuff. Almost, since I've been married over 38 years. :)

I also have one "Embrace the Suck" patch that I'm sewing onto the pack I take on my next thru-attempt.