PDA

View Full Version : Green/Dane county IAT

Glacier
04-25-2014, 20:52
I had 3 days off of work this week and decided to continue on the IAT. I started in Monticello and hiked north east to the Montrose DCA. I had the trail to myself except for a couple of bikers north of the Stewart tunnel...which is pretty cool. If you get the chance, check it out! The Montrose DCA also has a trail register. I was warm in my hammock even though it got down to around 32F.

The trails to Verona were beautiful and well maintained. There were areas that had been recently control burned. I ended up hiking part way into the night. Strong rain/storms were on the way and I didn't want to get pummeled at the DCA (which was very nice) at the top of a hill over looking Verona.

I made it to Cross Plains (in the rain) around 9pm. After the golf course its mostly road walking.

If there are any IATA volunteers on here thank you for your hard work on the trail!!

DandT40
04-29-2014, 10:11
Nice man. That tunnel is crazy. I biked and hiked that section so I went through it twice and didn't have a flashlight either time! When I came back and did some sections north of there, I told my wife and kids about the tunnel so they went to check it out. They got 10 feet in and chickened out! lol

Glad you had a good time. I got soaked coming into Cross Plains too. Were you able to stop in the IATA headquarters? Every time I have been up there it has been the weekend and they are closed.

Glacier
04-30-2014, 09:26
haha. yeah I stopped at the shelter before the tunnel and was reading about it and how a bunch of guys died building it. I remember saying out loud "why did I just read that."

my original plan was a 3 day hike, but I compiled it down to 2 because of the storms. So I ended up going from Montrose to Cross Plains in one day instead of 2. By the time I got to CP the IATA headquarters was closed. Bummer.

On the upside I used by 3rd day off of work to cruise around at Lapham Peak.