PDA

View Full Version : North Face Cats Meow vs Marmot cloudbreak 30

misterfloyd
04-26-2014, 10:17
Hello to all and I would like your opinions.

I have a Marmot Cloudbreak 30. I used it for the AT section last year. Compressed very well, very light, used it during the summer. Got stinky, so I washed it per instructions by marmot earlier this spring. Used it for 3 hikes later this spring, got in the 40 and froze my giblets off. Wore dry base layers with a cap BTW. Went back to the outfitter and we compared between my "clean" bag and theirs. There was a loss of loft. Exchanged it for a new one. I do not like, or have exchanging items.

While there I tried TNF Cats Meow. Got in it, and the bag warmed up immediately. Nice. I did not get it because it does not compress as well. With the compression sack it is about as big as my Kelty 0. Trying to get smaller....

What are your thoughts about these bags? Do anyone own one? I'm looking for a bag that is light in weight, compresses well, (trying to go smaller) and that is going to hold up over time. I know they both have different EN ratings, and figured with the Marmot I can layer up more.

Money prohibits me from getting a high down number bag, which I would prefer because they last longer over time. I'm looking for something for the spring, summer and fall for the mountains of NC.

Any thoughts, or opinions are appreciated and gratefully accepted.

Floyd.

Meriadoc
04-26-2014, 10:32
A 20 degree quilt. Not quite as pricey as a down bag and lighter. They compress very small. Must be comfortable sleeping on a pad. I have no trouble.

Enlightened Equipment, HammockGear are two cottage manufacturers among many. Hammockforums.net can help you out more with that. Edit: make sure it is designed for ground sleeping too - they are wider and provide better coverage.

I like a quilt because I layer it with a sleeping bag for colder temperatures and it's lighter and easier to vent for the summer.

My hiking partner did the AT with a Cat's Meow. She was cold in Maine late season but otherwise good with it. She wasn't entirely happy with the bulk. She's in the market for a down bag.

Slo-go'en
04-26-2014, 13:19
Any bag using synthetic insulation will be on the heavy and bulky side. The 20 degree Cat's Meow would be overkill for the summer in NC, but good for the early spring and late fall. I used a Cat's Meow for years in the 80's but it looks like the only thing which has remained the same about it is the name.

A 40 degree bag would be good for the summer and with some supplemental insulation like a liner and clothes could extend it's season into the late spring and early fall. 40 degree down bags aren't too expensive, are light and compact. Check out the Mont bell spiral huger bags. I was really happy with the #3 synthetic bag.

Old Hiker
04-26-2014, 15:14
I have a Cloudbreak 30 and I am not happy with it. It seemed very cold in the 40's from the start and I'm not sure why. I've had it a while, having gotten it online somewhere. It may be OK for summer, but not the AT. I also have a Trestle, which I got in Hot Springs, sending my 0* bag home, as 2012 was VERY warm, unseasonably so. My Trestle was GREAT, even down to 20*-25* or so.

misterfloyd
04-26-2014, 16:00
Thank you for all your replies please keep them coming.

I have no idea how to use a quilt. I do have a big agnes sleeping pad.

My thought was to use the marmot and layer up in the 20's. It was a good bag, the original, but I cannot think I screwed it up by washing it. I did follow all the instructions, but I remember an adage as well, you never want to wash a sleeping bag unless you really have to. I wonder if that is true. If the bag cannot make it in the 40's by itself..... well.

Heck I even thought about getting a kelty 20 degree down bag. It may last longer being down, but since it is 550 fill it may bulk up as much as the Cats Meow. Not worried about summer so much, just zipper it, and vent. I just want to save the 4lbs of the cosmic 0 for winter and try to save weight and space in the summer when I go on the sections of the AT, and have a good bag for the early spring and late fall when hiking here is really fun. I can only afford 2 bags. Wish I could afford more but.....

Please all thoughts are welcome. I always learn a lot from your perspectives.

Best,
Floyd

Duramax22
04-26-2014, 17:25
I have the cloudbreak 30 and have really liked it so far. Iv had it in the mid 20's before with a baselayer and it performed well. it packs down small and it competitively lightweight for synthetic which actually served me well one time when the bottom of my pack somehow got soaked. Its quality is what you would expect from marmot which has always been excellent in my opinion. Overall is prolly my favorite 3 season bag iv had yet.

misterfloyd
04-27-2014, 11:45
Thank you all for your posts. I wish that the weather would get cold one night of two so I could at least go out in my backyard and test it. I think where I live in NC that may not happen any more. May head to the high country.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions

Floyd

ryanwflynn
04-27-2014, 17:43
I took my 1998 Cats Meow on my '12 thru for sentimental reasons (gift from godmother and many fun previous trips) and my only complaints are it's bulk and obviously way to warm in the summer. I carried it the whole way but also had a sea to summit bag liner. With the liner, the Cats Meow was fine in Maine until late November. Hiked a fun bunch with Meriadoc and want to give a shout out to him, great guy, but don't agree with a few of his, albeit light weight, methods. Don't know how much the bag has changed in past years but guessing for the better. I am 6 foot and have the tall version- good to have extra leg room! Good luck Floyd! -NPR

ryanwflynn
04-27-2014, 17:44
Bag liner is great for nasty hostels, coaches, and hotels as well! I keep it in my day pack!

Meriadoc
04-27-2014, 19:48
I took my 1998 Cats Meow on my '12 thru for sentimental reasons (gift from godmother and many fun previous trips) and my only complaints are it's bulk and obviously way to warm in the summer. I carried it the whole way but also had a sea to summit bag liner. With the liner, the Cats Meow was fine in Maine until late November. Hiked a fun bunch with Meriadoc and want to give a shout out to him, great guy, but don't agree with a few of his, albeit light weight, methods. Don't know how much the bag has changed in past years but guessing for the better. I am 6 foot and have the tall version- good to have extra leg room! Good luck Floyd! -NPR

Ain't that the Cat's Meow :). I didn't realize you used one too!
And that's why the forum is so great. My method is definitely not the only method.

You should post more. :D

lemon b
04-28-2014, 20:34
I used a NF Cats Meow for years. Switched to down. They are bulky, but keep you warm even when they get wet.

misterfloyd
04-30-2014, 18:33
Hello to all,

Thank you for all of your replies. When I get in the marmot it doesn't "heat up" like the North Face. I got in that and it really did turn up the heat!

I like down. even if it is 550 fill. I have a cosmic 0 and it doesn't pack down very well, even using a Sea to Summit compression sack. I accept this because I use it in the winter, and it is very warm. Got it for a good price as well.

I wish I had the money for a higher fill count bag.

Question: Does anyone have the cosmic 20 down bag? I know this is overkill for summer on the AT, but I can vent the bag. I have questions about compress ability based on the above. Just looking for something to go deeper into the fall and earlier into the spring. I like the fact that down is longer lasting, if taken care of.

I appreciate all of the information-Thank you! Please keep it coming. I know no hiker in my area, hence all the questions!!

Best,
Floyd