PDA

View Full Version : Audie Murphy Monument

Grunt
04-26-2014, 13:27
Planning Southbound section hike from VA620 to Pearisburg and was wondering if there is room for a couple of tents around or near the A. Murphy memorial. We will be starting late in the afternoon and don't want to do anymore miles. Additionally.... Might there be any camping around Trout Creek? I'm aware we could go north to Pickle Branch Shelter as an alternative.

MidTenn Trekker
04-26-2014, 14:30
Planning Southbound section hike from VA620 to Pearisburg and was wondering if there is room for a couple of tents around or near the A. Murphy memorial. We will be starting late in the afternoon and don't want to do anymore miles. Additionally.... Might there be any camping around Trout Creek? I'm aware we could go north to Pickle Branch Shelter as an alternative.

If I recall correctly, the short side trail to the Audie Murphy memorial has some flat, grassy ground that would be suitable for tenting. The memorial is pretty cool, with a lot of rocks placed there by hikers. Since it is warming, look out for the resident black snakes, who are not dangerous but could spook those who are not used to these reptiles.

Slo-go'en
04-26-2014, 15:34
I think you can find some tent spots at the creek. If not, your probably better off going to the Pickle branch shetler then risking not finding a spot going north on top of the mountain.

Don H
04-26-2014, 16:03
SOBO 0.8 miles past the monument, along the woods road (which is the AT) just before it drops over the ridge there is plenty of room to tent.
In the AT Guide (2013 edition) it is mile 1500.6 - "Bench at southern crest of Brush Mountain.
I camped there in 2011, no water though.

Deer Hunter
04-26-2014, 21:23
The first picture below is where the trail splits at The monument (50 yards to monument) with room there. The second picture is probably 30 minutes north of the monument. As Don said , there is also room near the bench.

26850 26851

Drybones
04-26-2014, 21:38
Hope you have a good nights camp there, this guy is worth remembering...they just don't make'um like Audie any more...that little guy had more balls than the total of what's in Hollywood now.

oldwetherman
04-26-2014, 22:07
I have a question for folks that live in the area......I apologize it has nothing to with tenting in the area. The whole memorial was an emotional experience but I was amazed at the size and weight of some of the items
that were placed there! Is the road open to vehicular travel on a routine basis? How far away is the nearest main road? I left the traditional coin that I leave at all AT gravesites and I couldn't imagine humping some of the other items that are there......at least from the northbound direction.

Deer Hunter
04-26-2014, 22:19
I have a question for folks that live in the area......I apologize it has nothing to with tenting in the area. The whole memorial was an emotional experience but I was amazed at the size and weight of some of the items
that were placed there! Is the road open to vehicular travel on a routine basis? How far away is the nearest main road? I left the traditional coin that I leave at all AT gravesites and I couldn't imagine humping some of the other items that are there......at least from the northbound direction.

There is a road that will get you pretty close.

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/audie-murphy-monument-trail

HikerMom58
04-26-2014, 22:48
There is a road that will get you pretty close.

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/audie-murphy-monument-trail

Yes!! I agree! :)

johnnybgood
04-27-2014, 14:53
Yes!! I agree! :)

Easy 15 minute walk from the parking area atop Brush Mtn.

HikerMom58
04-27-2014, 15:32
Easy 15 minute walk from the parking area atop Brush Mtn.

Yes johnnybgood that's true. :) We knew there was another way up there when we saw people wearing flip flops & then noticed the fire road. Nice meeting you yesterday! :D

bamboo bob
04-27-2014, 16:57
I camped about fifteen minutes north of the monument on the side of the AT. It was a fine spot.

Grunt
04-27-2014, 20:45
Thanks to everyone who has responded.... this WB community is such a blessing! I have sectioned-hiked every year for the past eight years since retiring, and it is wonderful to connect with so many people who can provide useful information that is essential for all the logistical issues associated with section-hiking.

ChinMusic
04-27-2014, 20:59
Loved that spot

HikerMom58
04-27-2014, 21:58
Loved that spot

NICE!!!!!! :sun

Astro
04-27-2014, 22:49
Loved that spot

Looks like the Texas (Lone Star) flag flying there.

Drybones
04-28-2014, 07:11
If you don't know what Audie Murphy did in WW2 it would be worth doing a Google to find out...the most decorated soldier in the war. Hollywood used to take heros and make actors of them, they now take actors and try to make heros of them.

bamboo bob
04-28-2014, 11:45
If you don't know what Audie Murphy did in WW2 it would be worth doing a Google to find out...the most decorated soldier in the war. Hollywood used to take heros and make actors of them, they now take actors and try to make heros of them.

Why we hike. To get away from Hollywood America. Looking for Audie Murphy. PS. If you camp near there. Water up before you climb there is none anywhere near the monument.

Bald Cypress
05-10-2014, 00:02
A bit off topic. But for those who have never seen it.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/D%20C%20Trip/IMGP0890.jpg