PDA

View Full Version : South cheeha wilderness loop in Jine

Tarpcamper75
04-26-2014, 14:29
Hey guys new to the forum. Im hiking the south cheeha wilderness loop, Pinhote, Silent trail, skyway from adams gap trailhead. Can anyone tell me if I can expect good water , and what the temps are and any other pointers for that loop. Were going the first of June. Ive read of a campsite at the five mile mark from adams gap on the pinhote. Cant tell if there is reliable water there or not.

Thanks,
Max

OwenM
04-26-2014, 20:04
Highs ~90, and lows in the upper 60s to 70 would be about normal for early June. Water depends. You will have plenty on the Chinnabee, some on the Skyway, and little to none on the Pinhoti, if it's really dry. That campsite that you mention is probably Little Caney Head, where the Chinnabee joins the Pinhoti. There is a spring just yards from the top(look to the left facing down the Chinnabee, vegetation will make it obvious) that is usually flowing. If it's not, continue down to Turnipseed Hunter's Camp. It's only about a mile, and all downhill. You'll cross a couple of streams at the bottom before getting to it.

Tarpcamper75
04-26-2014, 20:58
Thanks for the reply, I guess we will carry water for the Pinhote section.

Drybones
04-26-2014, 21:26
Water shouldn't be an issue, I emphasis shouldn't. The Pinhoti section of your hike would be the most questionable as to water but unless we have a very dry year you should be okay, I wouldn't hessitate to make this hike, several dependable streams.

SouthMark
04-26-2014, 22:00
Even in dry years there is a spring less than a mile down the Chinnabee from the Pinhoti/Chinnabee intersection. It is on the right in a small stand of Rhododenrons. I may be just a drip but you can get water there just about anytime. I have hiked down for water from Little Caney Head many times during dry seasons.

Tarpcamper75
04-27-2014, 12:58
Thanks for the info, Im taking my kids so were going to hit that campsite the first day or somewhere near it.

Drybones
04-27-2014, 16:50
Even in dry years there is a spring less than a mile down the Chinnabee from the Pinhoti/Chinnabee intersection. It is on the right in a small stand of Rhododenrons. I may be just a drip but you can get water there just about anytime. I have hiked down for water from Little Caney Head many times during dry seasons.

I've never seen the stream near the Pinhoti/Silent Trail intersection dry, low, but not dry. There's a spot 60 yards or so south of this intersection that's a favorite spot for me to camp, the rock formation is angled such as to provide comfortable reclining while watching the campfire burn.

SouthMark
04-27-2014, 16:54
I've never seen the stream near the Pinhoti/Silent Trail intersection dry, low, but not dry. There's a spot 60 yards or so south of this intersection that's a favorite spot for me to camp, the rock formation is angled such as to provide comfortable reclining while watching the campfire burn.
I have seen it dry several times.

ciphoto
04-27-2014, 21:05
If it is a wet year then water won't be problem. If dry then carry water to cover the Pinhoti section. I myself hike that loop skyway first in the summer.

Tarpcamper75
04-28-2014, 09:55
Why do you hike skyway first in the summer?

schlanky
04-28-2014, 11:01
Isn't Caney Head more like 6 miles from Adam's Gap on the Pinhoti? If so, Tarpcamper may be talking about one of those sites before you reach the big trail intersection.

As others have noted, the only somewhat reliable* source up top on the Pinhoti is just before the intersection with Odum & Chinnabee Silent Trails. If you have to continue on Chinnabee Silent to find a water source, you'll be going very steeply downhill until you reach it.

*I've also seen this dry quite a few times. For early June, I'd go in with assumption that it's going to be dry on the entire Pinhoti leg of the trip and figure the first water you're going to see will be on Chinnabee Silent Trail---somewhere between just below the top on down to Southmark's suggestion, and worst case scenario would be a stream just before reaching Turnipseed Camp.

perdidochas
04-28-2014, 11:32
Hey guys new to the forum. Im hiking the south cheeha wilderness loop, Pinhote, Silent trail, skyway from adams gap trailhead. Can anyone tell me if I can expect good water , and what the temps are and any other pointers for that loop. Were going the first of June. Ive read of a campsite at the five mile mark from adams gap on the pinhote. Cant tell if there is reliable water there or not.

Thanks,
Max

The water depends on the current weather conditions. The campsite at the five mile mark (or around there) doesn't have reliable water. I beleive just past it, there is a point of reliable water. There is also water in the first three or so miles on the Pinhoti, but I'm not sure it's reliable. Be warned--the "Stairway to heaven" on the Pinhoti is rough.

Tarpcamper75
05-02-2014, 11:16
Do you think a Sea to summit thermolite liner would be warm enough for this hike?

Drybones
05-02-2014, 20:58
Do you think a Sea to summit thermolite liner would be warm enough for this hike?

I don't believe you have to worry about getting cold in June in AL. I would camp at Cheaha Falls (nice hole below the falls) and Hubbard Creek and take a dip before hitting the sack.

Tarpcamper75
05-04-2014, 12:10
Thanks, im taking my kids, would I need to hike clockwise or counter clockwise to best hit these campsites?

Dogwood
05-04-2014, 16:28
Going NOBO from Adams Gap on the PT I don't recall much water for several miles. Someone correct me if I'm forgetting.

SouthMark
05-04-2014, 17:45
The first dependable water NOBO from Adams Gap on the PT is at about the 3 mile mark. Large campsite on the left and spring on the trail about 50-100 yards ahead. This just before the Stairway to Heaven.

Drybones
05-04-2014, 20:16
Thanks, im taking my kids, would I need to hike clockwise or counter clockwise to best hit these campsites?

I'd start at Adams, go north, and spend the night at Cheaha Falls, there's a nice shelter but I always camp south of the falls down in a hollow where two large trees have fallen and made an X, there's a fire pit situated just right for just about anything you want to do. It's 12 miles as I recall from Cheaha Falls to Hubbard Creek where there's a good campsite, then a short hike uphill to Adams Gap in the morning.

Tarpcamper75
05-05-2014, 11:43
Thanks for the info, that sounds like a good plan.

ciphoto
05-16-2014, 04:14
I generally leave some water in my vehicle. Doing skyway first and carrying minimal water I know that if it's a dry year and I get up to the intersection of the Silent, Pinhoti, Scout trail and it is dry I can still get to my vehicle for water. Plus I finish going down hill... :)

ciphoto
05-16-2014, 04:15
Why do you hike skyway first in the summer?

I generally leave some water in my vehicle. Doing skyway first and carrying minimal water I know that if it's a dry year and I get up to the intersection of the Silent, Pinhoti, Scout trail and it is dry I can still get to my vehicle for water. Plus I finish going down hill... :)