PDA

View Full Version : Southern Maine in Mid May

Goonky
04-27-2014, 07:29
Hey all,

I'm from Maine but have not hiked here in May for more than a day hike. I've just ordered new base gear (significantly lighter) and am planning a week in Virginia the first week of June. I thought I might go out for an overnight shake down hike with the new gear in mid May.

I was thinking about climbing up Speck Mountain Shelter, staying one night, then hiking back to the car the next day. Just a quick out and back to see how the gear feels. The Route 26 trailhead is the closest one to me. I could also hike northbound up to Baldpate Lean To.

Has anyone hiked Maine during May? Is it realisitic? Any thoughts welcome.

rafe
04-27-2014, 08:55
Touch and go, I would guess. You'll almost certainly run into some snow on the ground, but hard to say how much. IIRC, the steepest part of the climb you're proposing (Grafton Notch to Speck summit) is the lower third, so you may be in luck; that part of the trail should be clear of snow. I was skiing at Sunday River and snowshoeing near Gorham two weeks back, there was still plenty of snow even in the lower elevations. You may find a more appropriate report over at vftt.org.

peakbagger
04-27-2014, 16:10
I assume you mean Speck Pond Shelter? That's a pretty significant shakedown hike. I would be concerned that there still would be snow dropping down to the shelter from the ridgeline. Kearsage North in North Conway is actually closer to southern Maine. It usually melts out early and the fire tower is nice place to camp.

Goonky
04-27-2014, 16:45
I assume you mean Speck Pond Shelter? That's a pretty significant shakedown hike. I would be concerned that there still would be snow dropping down to the shelter from the ridgeline. Kearsage North in North Conway is actually closer to southern Maine. It usually melts out early and the fire tower is nice place to camp.

Yes, Speck Pond Shelter was what I meant, thanks.

Do you think that area in general could still be snowy? (I know you can't know for sure) What if I hiked up to Baldpate instead? Basically went north from the Rt 26 parking lot instead of south.

I'll look into the North Conway hike.

Slo-go'en
04-27-2014, 18:09
There is still lots of snow up high. I would expect Speck pond to still be frozen over. I've postholed in 4 feet of snow and given up trying to get to the summit of Old Spec in late May at times. This will be one of those years. With addtional snow last night and Thursday, along with cool temps for the for-see-able future, nothing is going to change much in the next 2 weeks. It will be a while.

You could probably make it to Baldpate lean too, that's only 2.5 miles, fairly low elevation and with a south easterly exposure, so it will just be muddy. I wouldn't try Old Spec though, that's a serious climb if there is still snow on the back side. If there is, good luck, it would be treacherous.

Meriadoc
04-27-2014, 19:29
Kearsage North still has snow on it. Bring traction devices. You can do it without traction but only if you get inventive and take some chances.

Two weeks ago Baldpate had 3-4 feet of snow everywhere. It was melting fast but snowshoes were a necessity.

wormer
04-27-2014, 20:49
I would second the backside of Speck being treacherous, especially if high winds that are common to that area are present while hiking back in the direction of the tower.

Goonky
04-28-2014, 07:10
Thanks for all this feedback everyone. You've all convinced me. Treacherous is not what I'm after, for sure. :) I'll look for an alternate shakedown. We can tent in the backyard and walk the woods near the house. In June, the dog and I are doing 50 miles north of Damascus. Should be fun!

I've done most of Maine at this point - the only part left is the southern section and I've avoided that because I wasn't sure how it would be for Charlie (my dog). He did really well through the Barren Chairback range and all the rock scrambling there, but I don't know about Mahoosic Notch. The southern section sure looks intimidating on the profile maps.

:)

Slo-go'en
04-28-2014, 09:19
I would not try to take a dog through Mahoosic Notch. In fact, that whole section has some places which would be very difficult for a dog, like the rebarb ladders going up Goose Eye. It's a tough section for people! Do it on your own first, then decide if you want to try and get a dog through there.

Not a lot of choices for mid May around here this year. Too much lingering snow and now we're getting into the rainy season. The lower elevation trails which were drying out will be getting muddy and swampy again. I think you'd be okay going to the Bald pate shelter if you time it so it hasn't rained for a few days prior or during the trip. There are some good tent sites right at the shelter if you want to test out the tent.

bamboo bob
04-28-2014, 09:23
I started a SOBO on May 31 and saw just traces of snow in the 100 miles. After that it was spring. But Early may I think the trail would be very muddy and the stream crossings would be noteworthy. But It's all doable. Just wet.

brian039
04-28-2014, 10:37
You could do your shakedown in Acadia or Camden Hills State Park. You would just have to "pretend" you are in the backcountry at the campgrounds. Ragged Mountain Preserve is a nice trail system for a shakedown too, though I'm not sure if you can camp there or not.

Slo-go'en
04-28-2014, 13:09
I started a SOBO on May 31 and saw just traces of snow in the 100 miles. After that it was spring. But Early may I think the trail would be very muddy and the stream crossings would be noteworthy. But It's all doable. Just wet.

Last year it didn't snow much and was a much warmer spring. The mountains of Maine got a lot of snow this year and it's been cold.

Goonky
04-28-2014, 13:14
I would not try to take a dog through Mahoosic Notch. In fact, that whole section has some places which would be very difficult for a dog, like the rebarb ladders going up Goose Eye. It's a tough section for people! Do it on your own first, then decide if you want to try and get a dog through there.

Not a lot of choices for mid May around here this year. Too much lingering snow and now we're getting into the rainy season. The lower elevation trails which were drying out will be getting muddy and swampy again. I think you'd be okay going to the Bald pate shelter if you time it so it hasn't rained for a few days prior or during the trip. There are some good tent sites right at the shelter if you want to test out the tent.

That's been my gut feeling as well about the notch, thanks for validating it. I want it to be safe and fun for him, not force him to do everything I do. It's also a really great point to just try it on my own first, where I'm so close there's no reason not to. :) Thanks!