PDA

View Full Version : Non cooking food for breakfast and lunch

misterfloyd
04-27-2014, 11:37
Hello to all,

It is the time of year where I start asking a lot of questions. Thank you all for your comments and what I would consider help.

Food is my last greatest weakness not being able to plan well.

Last year for breakfast I packed oatmeal and pop tarts for breakfast. Not bad, although poptarts are heavy, and I want to get a little lighter in the food dept. I like both, but I was hoping to save the cooking part until I reach my destination.

Lunch I packed tortillas, and had summer sausage (sorry I'm a carnivore, and it got worse as I went :)). I also had ramen noodles and peanut butter and ate them like rice cakes. Gotta tell you I don't want to do this again!. It also seemed that Tortillas are heavy as well.

I have gone through various lists that people have posted, and copied them down. I always bring way too much food. But I'm at a loss for other alternatives for the above.

I'm going through the smokies to Damascus. I want to avoid Gatlinburg in not resupplying there. Hence the reason to pack lighter.

Any suggestions, comments, goodwill, is greatly appreciated and accepted.

Best,
Floyd

bigcranky
04-27-2014, 12:42
Lunch ideas:

Crackers, cheese, jerky. I like the Ritz mini-tubes with a single serving of crackers, 8 tubes to a box. They don't seem to crush easily. Cheese can be anything - Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar lasts several days, and individually wrapped cheese sticks last a week or more. I love Trader Joe's Buffalo jerky, but any dried meat or summer sausage will do.

Tortilla, big packet of tuna, and some mayo packets. Add some cheese sticks, too. One of my favorite no-cook trail meals.

Tortilla, peanut butter, Nutella. Sprinkle with gorp or granola or dried fruit. Also good spread on crackers instead.

Tortilla, turkey pepperoni, mozarella sticks. I buy the turkey pepperoni in the little bags -- turkey is a lot less greasy. This is great with a couple of mustard packets too.

Powdered hummus mix. Mix up with some water, spread on crackers or tortillas. Really great if you bring a cucumber out of town with you. Totally sumblime if you have a lemon or a lemon juice packet to add to the mix.

Deli meat and cheese in a tortilla. This is good for the first day out of town -- grab some prepackaged deli ham or turkey in the cold section of the supermarket, and some sliced cheese. Good with mayo and mustard packets.

Subway foot long Spicy Italian, fully loaded. Get it on way out of town, wrap carefully (double or triple bag it) and stop after a couple of miles for a great lunch.

Breakfast ideas:

Any kind of cold cereal with dried fruit, nuts, and powdered milk. I like my wife's homemade granola recipe (printed here (http://www.trailcooking.com/breakfast/nora-anns-homemade-granola/)), but I also like Grape Nuts, commercial granola, and any other not-too-fragile cereal. Any kind of dried fruit is good -- cranberries are cheap and plentiful, but dried sour cherries are terrific. I like walnuts in mine, or pecans. If I have the opportunity, I prefer to pre-bag the cereal with the fruit, nuts, and powdered milk ahead of time in ziploc bags, and just add water, shake, and eat from the bag.

You already know about pop tarts :)

Have fun!

Rocket Jones
04-27-2014, 14:03
Cook and dehydrate quinoa, then treat it like granola. Dried cherries, nuts, a little brown sugar and powdered milk. Add hot or cold water to the Ziploc.

chiefiepoo
04-27-2014, 14:10
Been munching the Nabisco BelVita breakfast bars for the past two years. Dried fruit and dry cereal other days.

mad4scrapping
04-27-2014, 15:37
I love the idea of putting the powdered milk in the bag with the granola and then adding water! Brilliant and simple.

whatnot
04-27-2014, 20:58
No-cook breakfast (I eat this nearly everyday on and off the trail): Pour into your water bottle 2 or 3 packets of oatmeal, add crushed raisin bran, fill with creek water. Give it a few shakes and let it sit while you pack up your gear. Then drink it down. Sometimes I add Instant Breakfast powder to the mix.

Sometimes I just eat a Snickers bar, drink a bottle of water.....and go.

daddytwosticks
04-28-2014, 07:16
Not light by any means but full of calories and taste: fried apple pies from Krispy Kreame. :)

slbirdnerd
04-28-2014, 07:52
I had been looking for breakfast food too and found a couple things: Nature Valley Breakfast Biscuits, which are new and less like a granola bar. I got the blueberry, they are really good. Also, Quaker has Oatmeal and Yogurt Sandwich Biscuits which I got and they are a good option too. I can tell you I found these is weird places in the store so you might have to ask.

garlic08
04-28-2014, 08:36
Carrying fatty food is one way to lighten up your food load. Fat has twice the calorie density of carbs (9 cal/g vs 4). Nuts and nut butters are a good bet in any kind of weather. Cheese is good for the first few days in warm weather. Everyone likes tortillas because of the high fat content (shortening or lard), but they do have some water weight as well.

My favorite no-cook meal, on or off trail, is rolled oats with walnuts, raisins, and powdered milk. Rolled (old fashioned) oats are already cooked (parboiled) in processing and can be eaten cold.

The best way of lightening your food load you've already alluded to--don't carry any extra. Like most, I used to carry an extra "emergency meal," until I went hungry a few times on my PCT hike and managed to survive somehow. I learned that food doesn't really fall into the emergency category for me.

astrogirl
04-28-2014, 12:33
I don't cook on most trips. For breakfast, I usually have a protein shake with instant coffee thrown in.

The rest of the day, I'll eat a chicken/tuna packet with mayo and/or mustard, GF bagel, cheddar cheese, trail mix, dried fruit, nuts and candy.

goody5534
04-28-2014, 12:38
BOBOS Bars...Bobos Oat Bars | Moist & Delicious Hand-Made Treat (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbobosoatbars.com%2F&ei=IoNeU8iHBdOzsQSdwYH4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHFo2JjgpdyQYt-W7g6qLmLd34EOA&sig2=ba75p9utHFe6oTvqi33lzw&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc)

misterfloyd
04-28-2014, 16:48
Thank you all for your helpful hints. I will take note of these.

I love snickers, and I will look into the nature valley biscuits as well. I love oatmeal so the previous suggestions are great. I love the Krispy Creme one!! I really appreciate them all and try them out!

Unfortunately, I cannot drink milk in any form. Not for any medical reasons but for the taste. Haven't had it in over 20 years in a glass. I have thought about a protein shake as well.

Thank you again for so many ideas.

Floyd

Odd Man Out
04-28-2014, 19:54
For me, I like PB and J on a tortilla for lunch. Jam is the one food with lots of water I'm inclined to take. It turns out tortillas are about the same.

BTW, don't think of food as "heavy". What is key is calorie density or calories per gram. When I look up the data, I found that tortillas are in fact "heavy" in that they have a relatively low calorie density - same as fruit jam. But they do have a good balance of fat, carbs and protein. Jam is pretty much sugar and water, but I feel like I'm eating fruit, so that make me happy. Pop tarts on the other hand come out pretty good. They have a low water content, about the same as instant oatmeal, but a higher calorie density due to their fat content (data below is for brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tart). Now if you put a pad of butter in your oatmeal, it would come out about the same. Here is the nutritional data for 100 g of each. If you calculate how "heavy" each one is (grams per 100 calories), you find tortillas and jam are the heaviest at 35 grams. As a reference, oatmeal is 27 grams. Pop Tarts are light at only 23 grams. If you want a really light pack, pack PB at only 17 grams, or about half the weight of tortillas and jam.

Odd Man Out
04-28-2014, 19:55
BTW, the data comes from http://nutritiondata.self.com/
The water weight is estimated by subtracting protein, fat, and carbs from 100 (assumes water is everything else).

mtntopper
04-28-2014, 20:18
packitgourmet.com has a lot of no cook meals

nastynate
04-28-2014, 20:31
My go to breakfast is a Probar superfruit slam and some coffee. Hot or cold depending on my mood. Lunch is usually another probar or a couple snickers and dried fruit. Handfull of jerky. Not the cheapest, but I'm not a thru-hiker and don't get out a ton. So I like the convenience.

SoCal Mike
05-01-2014, 09:33
I make the trail bar recipe in this post and eat them for snacks or breakfast (they are great with coffee):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5110

Dogwood
05-01-2014, 13:21
When it starts getting hot outside I feel less need for a hot b-fast so I often eliminate cooking that meal by going with a nutritional bar such as Bobo's Oat Bars as Goody suggested or a Pro Bar or something equivalent w/ about 300-400 cals. I might nosh a packet of Justin's Almond Butter or Peanut Butter and some dried fruit or other nuts with the nutritional bar. Under these conditions I'll sometimes have a pre mixed baggie of oatmeal, powdered milk, dried fruit, nuts, etc and add water to the mix the night before to have ready to eat in the morning. Get up and go.

Dogwood
05-01-2014, 13:28
BTW, you say you can't drink milk in any form but there are different types of milk with different tastes and nutrition. For example, try powdered vanilla or chocolate soy milk, powdered coconut milk(YUMMY!, I've even bought powdered coconut milk packs at Walmart), goat's milk(takes some getting uses to just as it initially took time to get accustomed to drinking cow's milk! but I've been noticing it more often in packets in larger mainstream grocery stores under the brand name Meyenberg's Goat Milk), powdered vanilla rice milk, hemp milk(I've only seen this in liquid form), etc

jimmyjam
05-01-2014, 14:12
My usual hiking breakfast is two cheerios bars and some honey. Lunch is either tuna or pnutbutter on a wrap or oreos dipped in pnutbutter

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

misterfloyd
05-01-2014, 20:06
Hey thanks for the recipe link for the trailbar.......I'm going to try that this weekend!!!!

Thank you all for sharing what you do. I will either do the above or get some granola bars...... something cheap!!!!

Floyd

misterfloyd
05-01-2014, 20:07
forgot to ask, how long does the home made trail bar stay good?

SoCal Mike
05-01-2014, 22:05
forgot to ask, how long does the home made trail bar stay good?

They freeze well. Try putting two or three in a ziplock so you have a stash ready to go. I bet they will last a couple of months in the freezer.

Michael

amac
05-02-2014, 07:00
Breakfast: poptarts, cheeses, carnation instant breakfast with Nido powder, breakfast bars, dehydrated meals (like Mountain House)
Lunch: nothing, just nibble on gorp, candy, cheeses, snacks all day; don't have to waste time with a big stop

SoCal Mike
05-02-2014, 09:47
Hey thanks for the recipe link for the trailbar.......I'm going to try that this weekend!!!!

Thank you all for sharing what you do. I will either do the above or get some granola bars...... something cheap!!!!

Floyd

Forgot to add: You can use different nuts--I have used almonds and pecans--they are all good. For more calories, add a little bit of peanut butter.

mmais68569
05-02-2014, 15:01
Breakfast Fiber one bar & an Oatmeal to go bar. I skip lunch just eat snacks.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

misterfloyd
05-04-2014, 17:53
SoCal Mike,

I made the bars that you shared with us.........Man They Rock ! Easy to make and if you love oatmeal like I do they are great tasting as well. Got the first batch in the freezer.

Sorry if I asked this question before how long do they last a room temp in a sealed bag? I'm going to be sending resupply boxes to my self and do want a nice shade of green on them.

Thanks again for sharing

Best,
Floyd

saltysack
05-07-2014, 12:01
What do most of u pack peanut butter in?? Buying Justin's gets pricy. what about jelly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-07-2014, 12:38
What do most of u pack peanut butter in?? Buying Justin's gets pricy. what about jelly?

I like the smaller size jar of Jif or similar. I think it's 8oz of PB? Honestly, the little packets or tubs are just not enough unless you bring a ton of them.

I have brought the large squirt bottles of strawberry jam on the trail.

Spirit Walker
05-07-2014, 12:40
Breakfast is cereal and dried milk - usually raisin bran and/or granola with added dried fruit.

Lunch is usually English muffins with cheese and/or ham/turkey/beef (Buddig packets) or tuna. Plus cookies and chocolate or dried fruit. Koolaid or crystal light to drink.

Spirit Walker
05-07-2014, 12:41
I also sometimes do peanut butter, but DH doesn't eat nuts at all, so usually we do cheese instead. Our GORP has chocolate chips and raisins, but no nuts.

CalebJ
05-07-2014, 12:45
I really enjoyed nutella mixed with coconut oil on tortillas last week. The 'koka moka' Pro Bar was also a good start for the day.

SoCal Mike
05-08-2014, 23:41
SoCal Mike,

I made the bars that you shared with us.........Man They Rock ! Easy to make and if you love oatmeal like I do they are great tasting as well. Got the first batch in the freezer.

Sorry if I asked this question before how long do they last a room temp in a sealed bag? I'm going to be sending resupply boxes to my self and do want a nice shade of green on them.

Thanks again for sharing

Best,
Floyd

Glad you like them. The praise goes to Sarah who shared the recipe in the link I provided. She's awesome. You didn't ask that one--you asked about freezing. Not sure how long they would last at room temp, to be honest. If you could vacuum seal them, I imagine they would last a bit longer. You might want to contact Sarah directly; she's always been responsive.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

SoCal Mike
05-08-2014, 23:43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the individual cup servings of Jif for basic lunches or just small Tupperware containers.

Michael