PDA

View Full Version : Potable Water in PA?

rbeck
04-27-2014, 14:50
Hello all,

We will be hiking in PA on Section 4 from Hawk Mt. Sanctuary to Port Clinton. Are there any potable water sources in that section or should we plan to carry what we need?

Hang R
04-27-2014, 17:20
You can find water through that section. The Pa AT map is pretty accurate with the spring/water locations. I would recommend treating your water through the section. There is usually a good number of people who hike through this area so you can find out how dependable the upcoming water sources are if you ask other hikers as you pass. In the summer and into the fall some of the water sources can tend to dry up in the area.

Slo-go'en
04-27-2014, 17:59
I don't recall that specific section, but more often then not, water sources in PA are off the trail a ways and steeply down the side of the ridge. They also tend to be fairly far apart, so it is best to stock up in the morning.

xnav
04-27-2014, 17:59
I just finished a section hike from Duncannon to DWG from 4-6-14 to 4-16-14 and found water at all the locations stated in the hiking guides. The only place I ran low was around Little Gap. You just have to plan your water ahead of time for most of PA in that area because you are ridge walking for most of it.

shelterbuilder
04-27-2014, 20:56
You don't say WHEN you'll be hiking. In late summer, things begin to get dry, but most of the time, if your hike is before July 4th, all of the listed water sources (with the possible exception of Minnehaha Spring) should still be good. This section has a lot of springs/streams - more so than a lot of other Pa. sections. Treat all water (just to be on the safe side), and enjoy the trip! Look for the remnant American Chestnut trees between the Hamburg Reservoir and Pocohontas Spring: small in stature and suffering from the blight, but plentiful.

bill1980
04-29-2014, 12:04
I just did the loop from the Hamburg Reservoir to Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle and back to the reservoir on Sunday 4/27. If you are going around this time, there's plenty of water. The trail north out of the Pinnacle was wet and muddy in places, the blue blazed trail back down to the reservoir had water running down the trail, and Furnace Creek has a heavy flow. Nice cool day for a hike.

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2014, 20:31
We have had good rains this week - not much to worry about... calling for floods tomorrow.

hikernutcasey
04-30-2014, 15:43
Some have mentioned summer and early fall as potentially troublesome times for finding water in PA. I'm sectioning the trail and the next hike will be from Boiling Springs down to Harpers Ferry and I was shooting for mid to late September as a time frame. What does southern PA and Maryland look like this time of year as far as water is concerned?

rbeck
05-03-2014, 18:46
Hi all,
Sorry I forgot to mention that we will be hiking in late May. All of the sources mentioned are streams/springs. As someone mentioned, I am guessing that means the water should be treated before drinking? We usually carry 4 liters each, so I think we should be fine for the day.
Thank you for all the info.

Hang R
05-04-2014, 06:53
Hi all,
Sorry I forgot to mention that we will be hiking in late May. All of the sources mentioned are streams/springs. As someone mentioned, I am guessing that means the water should be treated before drinking? We usually carry 4 liters each, so I think we should be fine for the day.
Thank you for all the info.

There should be plenty of water along the trail in May. I would be safe and treat the water, it only tales a few seconds but drinking bad water can ruin your whole trip. There should be plenty of water sources where you more than likely do not need to carry more than two liters. Some of the water sources are down off of the trail .2-.4 mile so some do prefer to carry more water than hike off of the ridge to get water.