PDA

View Full Version : Burns to Jackson Chapel

ciphoto
04-27-2014, 22:26
Has anybody done this section recently?

Looks like I'll be hiking in the rain this week, I've had to put is section a couple time already, and if I do it again it will be fall before I have time again...

Slowly section by section I'll make it to the AT....

BuddyL
04-28-2014, 17:51
I dropped 2 guys off at Jackson Chapel Friday morning and they came out at Burns TH Saturday afternoon (high mileage guys!) and they didn't mention any major issues. I am sure there is still some downed trees on Dugger and Oakey but nothing too major.

BuddyL

blisterbob
04-28-2014, 19:57
I reported once before that section 12 was clear and then Mark & Maddie showed a troublesome pine across
the trail in their video. I was leaving for Tn. the next day but mentioned it to John Calhoun and he went the
next day to clear that section. He worked harder than usual on the Pinhoti to make sure it was in good shape
before he left for Utah. If any of you run across a short bearded man in his 60's with loppers in his hands, Don't
pass him by without thanking him for his work. He is the single reason the Al. Pinhoti is one of the better hiking
trails anywhere.

SouthMark
04-28-2014, 21:26
I reported once before that section 12 was clear and then Mark & Maddie showed a troublesome pine across
the trail in their video. I was leaving for Tn. the next day but mentioned it to John Calhoun and he went the
next day to clear that section. He worked harder than usual on the Pinhoti to make sure it was in good shape
before he left for Utah. If any of you run across a short bearded man in his 60's with loppers in his hands, Don't
pass him by without thanking him for his work. He is the single reason the Al. Pinhoti is one of the better hiking
trails anywhere.

John is the hardest working trail maintainer that I ever met. You will know him when you see him. As BB said, short with a white beard and wearing short nylon running shorts.

ciphoto
05-16-2014, 03:30
First I want to think the trail volunteers for all you do... Overall this was a nice hike, the weather wasn't the best, but I've been trying to find the time to finish the Alabama sections for some time now. The trail was in good shape, all the stream were flowing well, and I was in need of some quality trail time.

I got to Burns about 5pm the 28th, hiked into Jones Branch Road and went down to the creek/camp spot. I stopped here a little earlier than I normally would because I knew storms were coming, and come they did. There was some pretty good lighting, long rolling thunder, and pretty good winds, but the tarp stayed secure and the hammock and I stayed dry.

After eating breakfast and getting packed up I was delayed some because my sternum strap had come off my pack. Just when I had given up on finding it and was fixing to make one I found it.

It drizzled rain most of the morning and into the early afternoon, but with the temps being reasonable my poncho was just enough to keep a chill off even with soaked feet. By afternoon the weather had cleared a bit and I was making pretty good time.

I got to the Chief Ladiga Trail and had planned on getting water at Terrapin Creek bridge, but really did not see a good way down so I walked back to the Trail campground and got some there before continuing on. After crossing CR94 I went just pass the normal camping area and set up for the night. Another night with rain, but it wasn't a stormy night.

Wednesday morning I continued on after taking time for coffee and breakfast. The drizzle rain was back but it was not to bad, although the breezes on some of the ridges was a little cool.

Since I had made pretty good time the day before I realized if I pushed a little I could probably make Jackson Chapel by shortly after dark if I limited my afternoon breaks. So I pushed and was at the AL/GA line by 6:30. I got to my truck at the Jackson Chapel trailhead about 7:30

I had brought enough food for 3 days and only carried 2 liters of water which was more than enough on these sections, at least at this time of year. So I finished with one day of extra food, could have left those 2 lbs at home... Total miles according to my GPS 40.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154049229620542.1073741856.631740541&type=1&l=4898505b75

blisterbob
05-16-2014, 07:17
Nice trip report John.

ciphoto
05-17-2014, 00:54
Thanks Bob, I should have put in more detail, but I'm back at work and time is limited...

The Solemates
01-26-2015, 13:09
headed to this section in a couple weeks. will be arriving late (10-11 pm) and want to camp at/near the TH if possible. would my options be better at burns or jackson chapel?

golfjhm
01-26-2015, 19:10
I heard there is a new shelter near the Jackson Chapel trailhead - though I can't confirm that 100%. The Dugger section is pretty dry but carrying water from the car a mile to two wouldn't be too bad.

The Solemates
01-27-2015, 11:10
yes, there is one near jackson chapel. we thought about doing that but also the thought of hiking 1.9 miles in to it at midnight wasnt too appealing. other options include cutting it a little short by parking at the church down the road from where the trail crosses CR-8, or parking at 278. anyone know the name of this church just east of where the trail crosses CR-8? think we could leave a car there?

Matt65
01-28-2015, 22:26
Just a guess:

Salem Church
http://goo.gl/maps/mQrny

Matt65
01-28-2015, 22:33
http://lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti/

The Solemates
01-29-2015, 10:34
yea we found it the other day and arranged our plans. thanks!