PDA

View Full Version : Creativity and walking

VTATHiker
04-28-2014, 07:57
Maybe this is something everyone who hikes already knows, but it's interesting to see some Science behind it. If only I had written down all the good ideas I had while on the trail...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6171/20140428/want-to-get-your-creative-juices-flowing-go-take-a-walk.htm

Old Hiker
04-28-2014, 08:31
Oh, man, yeah !!!! All the songs I made up while going down the Trail. All the ideas about how to fix the house up and make it more efficient. Lesson plans. I KNOW they were great - I just can't remember them !!

Especially after my breakfast and coffee in the mornings. Mornings seemed to have been the best.

Odd Man Out
04-28-2014, 08:36
When I was in High School I would do my math homework when mowing the lawn. I would work the problems I could before going out, and then mull over the ones I was stuck on while mowing. By the time the lawn was done, I had worked out the solutions to a few of them.

Mags
04-28-2014, 09:18
There are three great times of thinking:
On the john, in the shower, and while walking.
And the greatest of these is walking…
–Colin Fletcher, THE COMPLETE WALKER

bamboo bob
04-28-2014, 09:30
All I ever think about is where's the next water? Where will I take a break? Is that a good place to camp? What will I eat next. Look at the Moose or the elk or the bear or the lion !
Some people think of "higher" things or more important things. In my view these are the higher more important things. Not the future, not plans for the "real" world. I like to think about now and today.

shakey_snake
04-28-2014, 10:37
There are three great times of thinking:
On the john, in the shower, and while walking.
And the greatest of these is walking…
–Colin Fletcher, THE COMPLETE WALKER

I would add the riding lawnmower.

Mags
04-28-2014, 12:07
I would add the riding lawnmower.

with beer.

rafe
04-28-2014, 12:42
When I was in High School I would do my math homework when mowing the lawn. I would work the problems I could before going out, and then mull over the ones I was stuck on while mowing. By the time the lawn was done, I had worked out the solutions to a few of them.

Was there no math homework in winter?

Damn Yankee
04-28-2014, 13:33
The only thing I can think of while hiking is how am I going to get up the next hill, in between huffing and puffing of course.

he.who.forgets
04-30-2014, 18:15
I believe it was Nietzsche that said "All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking".

Theosus
04-30-2014, 18:18
The only thing I can think of while hiking is how am I going to get up the next hill, in between huffing and puffing of course.

Usually my problem as well, although sometimes I will use the huffing and puffing to sort of hum songs running through my head...

Dogwood
04-30-2014, 18:35
Solvitur ambulando is a Latin term which means: It is solved by walking; The problem is solved by a practical experiment.

Of course, walking leads to greater clarity and creativity! Recall how MANY great thinkers and acheivers went on long walks of contemplation. You might want to further check out a book titled Contemplative Hiking.

fiddlehead
04-30-2014, 21:04
I planned the exact layout of my apt. above my garage in my head while hiking 2 thru-hikes.
Then I built it.
Now, that it's done and I live in it, there are 2 things I would have done different: Moved the bathroom door about 1 foot to the right, and put the lightswitch for the bathroom on the outside.
Everything else is perfect.

Whenever I have a dilemma or problem that I have to work out, I go jogging or hiking to do my best planning.
It creates a place in my head that seems to make quality decisions the best.

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2014, 21:10
Maybe this is something everyone who hikes already knows, but it's interesting to see some Science behind it. If only I had written down all the good ideas I had while on the trail...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6171/20140428/want-to-get-your-creative-juices-flowing-go-take-a-walk.htm

I believe what they are searching for is what psychologists refer to as Flow. It's an interesting concept to read about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

And yeah, I've experienced flow while hiking.

rafe
04-30-2014, 21:21
I think it would take me 2000 miles of walking to figure out how to pronounce Csíkszentmihályi.

Carbo
04-30-2014, 21:28
I believe what they are searching for is whar psychologists refer to as Flow. It's an interesting concept to read about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

And yeah, I've experienced flow while hiking.

I've experienced this as well. It also amazes me how quickly time passes when in this state.

Odd Man Out
04-30-2014, 22:45
Was there no math homework in winter?

Maybe less got done!

Dogwood
05-01-2014, 13:40
I planned the exact layout of my apt. above my garage in my head while hiking 2 thru-hikes.
Then I built it. .....

Ahso Danielson, see ah picture. Now make ah picture.

Ahso, veddy good Danielson. Make ah beawtiful picture.