PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies

JeffBliss
04-28-2014, 09:21
So I just got out of the Smokies yesterday afternoon but not before stopping by and seeing what I feel is the highlight of my thru-hike thus far. Mt. Cammerer is a 1.2 mile round trip off shoot of the AT that offers in my opinion the most spectacular views from the entire park. For northbounders, this will be one of your last chances at a view in the park. For southbounders, this offers one of the first of many magnificent views from the park.

I urge anyone that hasn't hiked through the Smokies yet to check out this mountain. There is a fire tower up top that offers 360 degree views of the valley below. The side trail is an easy jaunt that is horse graded for the first half mile and then a slight rock scramble the last tenth.

Best place I have seen on my thru-hike so far. Best by far.

Time to hike on!

johnnybgood
04-28-2014, 09:32
Got a picture in my gallery from Mt.Cammerer.

GSLeader_in_NC
04-28-2014, 10:22
Thanks for posting. I will be there in a little more than a week and will definitely take the side trail. I hope I have good weather and my view is as beautiful is yours! :)

Kerosene
04-28-2014, 11:20
I'll second the recommendation, especially if it is a nice day. I got several great shots from the Lookout during my October 2012 hike.

T-Rx
04-28-2014, 12:16
Beautiful location with outstanding 360* views. Been there numerous times on day hikes and will definitely make the side trip on my upcoming thru hike.

The Solemates
04-28-2014, 13:04
definitely stellar

Nick P
04-28-2014, 13:34
I made a note of it in SOBO Guide; thanks!

Del Q
04-28-2014, 19:44
Got it, so a bit over a month ago I was on my spring section hike, rain/fog, when I reached the left turn (NOBO) to this great spot, the option was spend the night there and hope for a great sunrise or continue North then camp wherever. Was a bit early to stop for the day............not sure that I made the right decision. Doubt that anyone was there that night

Oh well............