PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Swatara state park?

twosticks
04-28-2014, 21:17
I've looked around but can't find any specifics. Is there camping allowed in swatara state park in PA? Thanks.

Twosticks

Rain Man
04-28-2014, 22:01
I finished and started section hikes there in the last two years. I believe that even though it's an official state park, the land was just acquired, so there are no facilities yet, no nothing. Might have changed by now, though. Best bet might be to go to the horse's mouth, i.e., the Pennsylvania State Park people?

Rain:sunMan

Blue Mountain Edward
04-29-2014, 21:21
Ain't there a RV campground at the end of the Swatara Rail Trail. There camp store is better than the Hess gas station. It is across the street from Wendy's and next to the Hess gas station.

Doc
04-30-2014, 07:02
There is indeed an RV campground there. I stay there (Lickdale) my first night out from Maine on my travels south. Mostly RV's but I think there are tent spots as well. It is several miles from the AT but an easy hitch. When I stayed in town and went back to the AT on my hike I took a taxi just to avoid hitching waits.

Blue Mountain Edward
04-30-2014, 12:08
The KOA campground is about 2.5 miles from the AT. It is a easy walk on the Swatara trail.No need to hitchhike or pay a taxi the Swatara trail is nice and new.I hiked to Wendys and Hess at 10 and 12 at night no problem. The campground is expensive I camped on the AT in that area and no one bothered me.