PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Davenport Gap?

Gambit McCrae
04-29-2014, 08:27
Im doing the Davenport to Lemon Gap vice versa perhaps this weekend and need to know the safety of leaving a car at Davenport Gap for the weekend
Thanks!

Hikes in Rain
04-29-2014, 09:12
I wouldn't. It's just a wide spot by the road, and I think there's been incidents of break-ins in the past. The ranger's station is just a little less than a mile down the road, and a much safer place to park.

Hot Flash
04-29-2014, 10:09
Yeah, park at the ranger station.

STICK
09-04-2014, 20:30
Resurrecting an old thread...

So, from Davenport Gap, it is less than 1 mile to the Ranger station, driving? So, if I were to park my car there (at the ranger station - assuming I could, and it would be safe for a few days, and plenty of space to park?), it would be less than a mile back to the gap via the road, and then 0.9 miles to the Davenport Shelter? So, less than 2 miles?

Also, would it matter if I got there late at night, say around 1030 or 11? And is there a fee?

Thanks for the info.

10-K
09-04-2014, 20:35
No fee, plenty of parking space... park 24/7.

Park, walk back out the way you came in, make a left at the stop sign and walk the road up the hill until you see the AT. It's a mile or less. You can't miss it.

If it would help reassure you, drive the road up to the gap to locate the AT then drive back down to the ranger station and park.

MuddyWaters
09-04-2014, 20:40
Ranger station is probably unmanned now after labor day. Good thing the vandals don't know that, cause it is a bit secluded. I had no issues and would park here again.

STICK
09-04-2014, 20:42
Thanks, that is the info I needed. And it is actually for a buddy, meeting me on the trail...

curtisvowen
09-05-2014, 04:52
There hasn't been a Ranger stationed there in over 15 years.
It's just been the norm to perpetuate the good idea that there is one stationed there.
The garage houses all the campground maintenance tools.
When it is used for housing it's usually for the Ameri-Corp volunteers.
Though still one of the safest places to park within the GMSNP.

Gambit McCrae
09-05-2014, 08:14
Only correction I see here is that the walk up to Dav Gap is a little closer to 2 miles. I left my car at this parking spot for 2 nights this spring with no problem. And walked the road to the car. It took about 30-45 min to walk from the Gap to the parking lot

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2014, 08:57
Only correction I see here is that the walk up to Dav Gap is a little closer to 2 miles.
I've used Google Earth (and various other resources) to map out all the various trail and road distances in GSMNP to plan hiking trips.

The distance from Chestnut Branch Trailhead (right beside the Ranger Station parking lot) to the AT at Davenport Gap is 1.5 miles (+/-0.1 if you strictly follow the road).

Gambit McCrae
09-05-2014, 09:04
Sounds about right

curtisvowen
09-05-2014, 09:06
I've used Google Earth (and various other resources) to map out all the various trail and road distances in GSMNP to plan hiking trips.

The distance from Chestnut Branch Trailhead (right beside the Ranger Station parking lot) to the AT at Davenport Gap is 1.5 miles (+/-0.1 if you strictly follow the road).

That's correct.
I'd go for Chestnut Branch if you could especially if you into pre-GSMNP history. The Leatherwoods lived there on the lower portion of the trail. You can still make out where their homes were located. However, you'll not forget the last 1/4 mile (?) before connecting with the AT. Well worth it though.

STICK
09-05-2014, 22:04
Thanks again everyone. Also, just to clarify, I will already be at the shelter, but a buddy is driving up that night to meet me...late, like around 11ish... So, he will be looking for the shortest distance most likely, and of course, a safe place to park his car.

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2014, 23:45
Thanks again everyone. Also, just to clarify, I will already be at the shelter, but a buddy is driving up that night to meet me...late, like around 11ish... So, he will be looking for the shortest distance most likely, and of course, a safe place to park his car.

If your buddy is planning on meeting you at the shelter and he'd like to avoid walking on narrow roads at night might want to hike up Chestnut Branch (2.1 miles) and down the AT to the Shelter (0.9 miles) (it would add 250' in elevation change).

But the shortest distance would still be to hike the 1.5 miles of road, then 1.0 miles up the AT to Davenport Shelter.

I think I would vote hiking up Chestnut Branch just because it will be nearly impossible to miss the trails in the dark. If you hike the road, there isn't must of a trail head sign for the AT at Davenport Gap.