PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from Damascus

LAF
04-29-2014, 20:53
Hey all - everything I'd going well out here. Have had a couple trying days with weather but nothing that wasn't expected but after having 5 days of glorious weather in he Smokies I knew something had to give. Loving it all

Should let everyone know the the Black Bear Resort/Hostel in Hampton (Dennis Cove Road) is the cleanest, most organized and pleasant place I've stayed off trail. For anyone that knew about it more than 3 years ago, it is a totally different place. I highly recommend it. Split a cabin between 2 people or a larger one between 4 and it's about the sAme Cost as less cared for hostels. And the cabins all have real mattresses and linens are available.

TOW
04-29-2014, 21:03
Hey all - everything I'd going well out here. Have had a couple trying days with weather but nothing that wasn't expected but after having 5 days of glorious weather in he Smokies I knew something had to give. Loving it all

Should let everyone know the the Black Bear Resort/Hostel in Hampton (Dennis Cove Road) is the cleanest, most organized and pleasant place I've stayed off trail. For anyone that knew about it more than 3 years ago, it is a totally different place. I highly recommend it. Split a cabin between 2 people or a larger one between 4 and it's about the sAme Cost as less cared for hostels. And the cabins all have real mattresses and linens are available.
Good to hear, but those less organized and unkempt hostels and out of the way places have way more character and you are liable to take some cherished moments home with you if you stay in more of them on your walk in the woods.....

LAF
04-29-2014, 21:16
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on that one. Pleasant people in a great environment w/ plenty of hikers to meet and socialize with are all part of it but add that to clean, friendly, well organized, well run.....Of the few places I've stayed the Black Bear is head and shoulders above the rest and have a reasonable resupply and also shuttle into Elizabethdon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOW
04-30-2014, 06:59
And you know I have heard nothing but good things about the place as well.

HikerMom58
04-30-2014, 07:15
Good to know LAF! :)

Starchild
04-30-2014, 07:53
Yes stayed at Black Bear last year, split cost with 3 others stayed 2 nights and got a slackpack that middle day.

The cost was $50/night, so $12.50 each per night.

Cabin rooms were in great shape and and just what you would expect, a small structure with beds.

It's charm comes from the common room where there is a typical living room set up to hang out in, and the camp store which is very well equipped as I recall for time there and to resupply.

Also the owners are very nice, they let me drive the golf cart, the first time I drove since starting the AT (except for a trip into Suches for breakfast GA in the 2nd night)

I was very happy with my stay there.

ChinMusic
04-30-2014, 08:50
I stayed at Black Bear last year and again just two days ago. I agree with the OP.

I'm in Damascus as I type just getting ready to hike out. Got some blue-blazing to do.