PDA

View Full Version : 24-year-old woman, little hiking experience, can I hike the Appalachian Trail?

zaichev
04-30-2014, 11:57
I have a year of downtime, following the end of July.

I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail from January-August. My Aunt did it in her late 30s and it was a life changing experience for her. I'm in shape (a long distance runner) but don't have much experience hiking because I've lived in Nebraska and Missouri my entire life. I have a savings of about $10,000 now and intend to earn an additional $3,000 over the summer, so I think I can swing this financially. My questions are, specifically:

1) How do I train for a hike like this when there are few places to hike? Should I just go on long walks with my backpack?
2) I have a lot of the equipment I'd need for this already--but equipment aside, is it feasible to keep the cost below $3,000? I understand I'd need to stay out of towns, etc. I'm OK with that.
3) Is this very safe for a woman? Should I recruit a hiking partner?
4) My Aunt hiked in the fall-winter, so I assume that's doable. I should ask, however: is a January-August hike OK? (It might not even take that long.)
4) Is there any other advice you would happen to have?

Thanks, everyone! I'd love your feedback, and if anyone would like to talk to me PM/via email, I'm open to that. I think networking will be very important in this goal of mine.

Rocket Jones
04-30-2014, 12:10
1. To train, definitely hike with your pack. Understand though that a big part of your success will be mental.
2. $3,000 might be feasible, but not likely.
3. Safer than the city. Depending on when you start, you'll find a partner/group as you hike, if you want one.
4. January is very early. Most start in March or April (seems to get earlier every year), but the earlier the start, the more likely you'll run into severe Winter weather that may force you off the trail.
5. Read the articles here on WhiteBlaze on the main page. Read Trail Journals. Ask specific questions. Google White Blaze like crazy. Enjoy the journey.

rafe
04-30-2014, 12:21
Welcome to Whiteblaze, zaichev.

I'll address the proposed dates: January-August. Are you constrained to those months? If not, I'd strongly suggest starting later, say March or April. Starting early doesn't necessarily get you to Katahdin early. It stacks the odds against you.

Winter in the southern Appalachians can be tough. If you start in January you'll need to carry extra gear for warmth, and most likely snowshoes and/or crampons. It's really a hard way to go. The days are short, the going is tough. Hitching to/from town will be tough.

The more common through-hiking season (for northbounders) is from March-April till August-September. Most through hikers finish in about five months.

bigcranky
04-30-2014, 12:37
I'll agree with rafe on this, and add that a winter hike means spending more money in towns waiting out severe storms and waiting for the trail to be hikeable. There are some folks who have started on January 1 and made it to Katahdin, but others have gone home and waited for better weather. Days are short, limiting hiking time, and winter requires a lot more gear, food, and clothing. Is it doable? Yes. Is it a good idea for you? I can't answer that. You can certainly get more winter hiking and backpacking experience right before you leave, as I expect Nebraska can get very cold in December.

Hiking the AT is generally safe. There are plenty of solo women thru-hikers. If you start later in the season it's easy enough to hook up with other hikers who are hiking your pace. Also, in general, hikers look out for one another. In January there will be many fewer people on the trail, so this is less true.

There is lots of discussion on Whiteblaze about the cost of a thru-hike. $3000 is definitely at the lower end of the cost range. For a May start by an experienced thru-hiker averaging 20 miles per day, $3000 is certainly possible. Much of that is due to a shorter hike -- a 3.5 month hike is much cheaper than a 6 or 7 month hike. I don't know that an experienced hiker could start Jan 1 and keep the total cost to $3000 (partly or mostly due to the length of the hike -- getting to New England in March or April mkes it a whole different enterprise. That's still serious winter up there.)

Your lack of hiking experience in general is not a big deal -- many hikers start the AT with no backpacking experience. Plus you may be able to get out and do some overnights and even some weeks on the trail this fall to get your gear and food and all that worked out. I do have some worries about an inexperienced hiker starting out at Springer in January, though.

Good luck whatever you decided to do.

Kerosene
04-30-2014, 13:09
If you're unfamiliar with backpacking, let alone winter backpacking, then I'd definitely wait to start from Springer until late March/early April. If you can keep your pack weight below 20% of your body weight (you did say you were in shape and you're young), then you have a good chance of finishing in 5 months.

From a fitness standpoint, it is hard to get into backpacking shape without actually backpacking; and even then it is hard to train if you lack any natural mountains to climb/descend. You can get used to the weight of your pack by wearing it on hikes. A Stair Master with a pack helps a bit, but it will still be different. Keep doing your running, add some high-intensity stuff, and don't forget to incorporate some level of weightlifting (at least squats, balancing and Swiss Ball one-legged hamstring curls).

My 24-year old daughter has joined me for about 100 miles down South. While I wouldn't call her an accomplished backpacker (she lacks the basic camping skills), she has the right mentality for long-distance backpacking and I encouraged her to consider a thru-hike even though I'm generally protective. You will meet a lot of good people, especially is you start a bit later.

You can certainly hike to a pre-set budget, but just recognize that it might not get you all the way to Katahdin. Be prepared to either get off the trail before Maine if you exceed your budget, or dip into your savings a bit to finish up. Part of the AT experience includes hostels and towns, but save them for when you really need them.

Last bit of advice: Start slowly with low-mileage days. Yes, you will certainly be able to hike all day if you're in reasonable shape, but your connecting tissue won't be ready to do it day-in/day-out, regardless of your non-hiking fitness level. Keep it to 10-12 mpd for the first 1-2 weeks, and then add a few miles a day each week beyond that. By Virginia you'll be able to crank out twenty-mile days with ease, but if you start fast then you also risk an injury which will take you off the trail before you get very far.

Coffee
04-30-2014, 13:14
On my recent section hike (SNP through southern PA), I met three thru hikers who started very early and it sounded like a very rough experience to me, and this is from folks who persisted and made it nearly a thousand miles up the trail. I'm sure that many others had their hike end prematurely due to the rough weather. One of the thru hikers actually took almost an entire month off the trail before resuming.

Adriana
04-30-2014, 15:04
Are you guys misreading her financial situation?
I have a savings of about $10,000 now and intend to earn an additional $3,000 ...
It looks like she'll have $13,000 not $3,000.

QHShowoman
04-30-2014, 15:27
Are you guys misreading her financial situation?
It looks like she'll have $13,000 not $3,000.

No, they're not. Read further... She asked, specifically, if it was feasible to do a thru-hike on $3,000.

Mags
04-30-2014, 15:34
Don't know what your *time* budget allows, but, if you can, try to get on a longer hike between now and next year.

Something like Vermont's Long Trail is well marked, has a good mix of easy and hard terrain and will let you get used to the aspects of thru-hiking. Namely resupply, being out in the weather and seeing if you enjoy hiking all day.

At ~270 miles or so, even a person new to backpacking can do it in less than a month. Plus it is fun. :)

A mini-AT thru-hike that also happens to be a classic one, too.

If you can't get out for 3-4 weeks, even a week long section hike will let you get a taste of it as well.

More than gear talk and even physical prep, nothing like backpacking to see if you actually enjoy backpacking all day.

Coffee
04-30-2014, 15:41
I kept track of the costs of my recent two week section with the goal of better understanding the potential costs of a thru hike. I spent $600 as follows:

$110 for replacement gear, supplies, guide books, and maps purchased prior to the trip.

$120 for food to carry at the start and to send in a mail drop

$175 of cash spent on restaurant meals, snacks, and misc. (ate at all the SNP restaurants and elsewhere at every opportunity)

$125 for two nights in hostels and one night in a motel at the end of the hike

$15 on postage

$55 on transportation (I had a free ride to the start, shuttle+Greyhound to get home)

Of the $600 over two weeks, I'd say that at least $100/week was discretionary and that one can comfortably hike on $200/week with $300/week allowing for more luxuries. So I think that a 20 week thru hike could be done on a $4,000 to $6,000 budget. $3,000 would require sacrifices that I wouldn't be willing to make personally.

zaichev
04-30-2014, 16:22
I see a lot of different answers here, however, while skimming. Some people quote as low as $2,500, others as high as $8,000.

Is the basic "trick" to avoiding a higher cost avoiding restaurants, meals and hostels?

I do have to ask-- $120 is a lot for food for two weeks. Can I have more specifics on what you are eating? I'm someone with a food budget of $50/week and that's with buying stuff I couldn't reasonably carry (meat, milk, fresh fruits/veggies.) I feel like if I could only bring non-perishables/canned foods, my budget could easily be much lower.

Coffee
04-30-2014, 16:32
I do have to ask-- $120 is a lot for food for two weeks.

A very significant portion of the food cost is due to my habit of carrying lots of nuts which can be rather expensive (walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, etc). I also have an expensive coffee habit and go through maybe 3 Starbucks Via packets per day, so that's around $30 for coffee over two weeks. Other than that, I don't eat anything that out of the ordinary when it comes to trail food.

But actually that $120 is maybe $20 overstated since I booked the cost of some things that I purchased for the trip but I have left over - some extra nuts as well as extra bags of instant Santa Fe refried beans that I ordered in bulk from Amazon.

On the $175 for restaurant meals and snacks, I should have mentioned that I do not drink alcohol so that keeps restaurant tabs more reasonable.

rafe
04-30-2014, 16:41
If you're going to avoid restaurants, then you'll be eating food purchased at home and sent to you via mail drops, or food purchased locally, wherever you happen to be on the trail. Either option has issues.

Maildrops add some cost (shipping) but worse than that, they can tie you down in unwanted ways, waiting for a package to arrive. Plus: it's surprisingly difficult to know what should be in the maildrops. You may get sick and tired of oatmeal or raisins or dried hummus mix by your third maildrop. "Hiking boxes" in hostels are loaded with unwanted maildrop contents.

Buying locally has its own issues. Typically, selection will be poorer, and prices quite a bit higher than at your favorite supermarket back home.

The diet you're used to in the real world may not work out for an AT hike. You really do need loads and loads of calories, and sufficient protein to keep your bones and muscles healthy. The challenge is to supply sufficient calories while keeping down the weight of your food bag. It's not easy. The good news is that you can eat as much as you like, and pretty much anything you like, and you will still lose weight.

Damn Yankee
04-30-2014, 18:28
Look at this link...

http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/09/thru-hiking-appalachian-trail-on-budget.html

Bati
04-30-2014, 21:20
4) My Aunt hiked in the fall-winter, so I assume that's doable. I should ask, however: is a January-August hike OK?

The trail is safe for a woman, but if anyone planning on a January start consider having a partner. Hiking through the snow and cold can be tough and disorienting; having a partner for bad weather is a good safety plan. Once it's warm and/or in full hiker season, you'll be fine alone.

The advantage to a fall-winter hike is that you're in shape when the cold weather hits; by starting in January you might not have your trail legs under you if you're trying to dodge a storm. However, it's my opinion that being in backpacking shape consists of being in shape (which you are) and having feet that are broken in (which might be a problem.) The other keys to doing well are having basic skills and gear (such as pumping 32 degree water, using a map and compass or pitching a tent in the rain) and being mentally able to handle the bad times so that you don't need to run into town every time it snows six inches.

So my advice would be to try to find someone to start with or consider hiking first, then doing something else.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2014, 00:40
If you run, and workout whole body lifting weights, you will have no problems backpacking with a reasonable pack. It is not necessary to practice with a pack.

If you dont, then hiking with a pack would be a very good way to get in shape for hikiing with a pack.

illabelle
05-01-2014, 05:00
zaichev, most people who start out to thru-hike the AT abandon their attempt for one reason or other. I'm sure that finishing a thru is great thing, but there's no shame in section hiking. Given the timing of your year of down time, you might consider doing a long section this fall, maybe the northern half, and then a second section in the spring, maybe the southern half.
While it's true that many thru hikers finish in 5 months, the ATC says the average is 6 months. That suggests that at least a few people are finishing a thru in 7 or even 8 months. Breaking the hike into a couple of long sections increases your flexibility if this is an issue.
Welcome to WB!

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2014, 08:39
1) How do I train for a hike like this when there are few places to hike? Should I just go on long walks with my backpack? Not trying to be smart but HIKE, and if there arent hills where you live then do stair master with your pack on.
2) I have a lot of the equipment I'd need for this already--but equipment aside, is it feasible to keep the cost below $3,000? I understand I'd need to stay out of towns, etc. I'm OK with that.
You will find as you have to carry it that alot of stuff is just not needed to be walking all day everyday. so Keep it minimal for both cost savings and weight. bring the neccecities, and if you feel you are really missing something along the way then pick it up in a town. I budgeted 4500 for my thru, although people told me that 4500 would provide a pretty comfortable thru hike. So yes 3000 spent wisely would be enough.
You will probably find yourself even if starting alone to pick up friends quickly and will hike and stay with people almost every night. If you feel unsafe, alot of hikers want a partner to hike with. I have seen alot of the "thru brother/ thru sister" mentality.
4) My Aunt hiked in the fall-winter, so I assume that's doable. I should ask, however: is a January-August hike OK? (It might not even take that long.)
I dont think it will take 8 months....nor do I think a budget of 3000 would last 8 months, perhaps 4-5 months... And starting in January you are probably not going to have alot of company. It is going to be snowy, and you have the likelyhood of getting bullied by the weather, as in haveing to wait for snow to pass in the smokies, or getting stuck in the smokies by a snow storm...
I would advise strongly to hold off until march 15 and this would do several things:
Drop your pack weight due to warmer weather
take care of your financial interests
provide a safer hiker community
still give you 5 months to complete which is more then enough time

lemon b
05-01-2014, 09:04
January is going to be cold. Remember hike your own hike and have fun. This is not a contest. 3000.00 is going to be difficult. Think section hiking over time. Your biggest fear or concern should focus on the weather.

Giuseppe
05-01-2014, 11:15
Started my thru on February 15, 2013 to avoid the large number of people that start later, was not looking to be hiking in a conga line. In the beginning, the snow and winter did make for more days in towns but I would not start later than March 1 if I was to do another nobo. Your start date will directly decide how many people will be around you in the beginning. I still met many good people, which is good part of the experience and seldom was at a shelter alone ( 3 nights). I had never backpacked a day in my life previously, just a lot of walking and hiking which presented a bit of a learning curve but nothing that was not taken care of by research and a couple of weeks of watching and talking to others about what worked best for food choices. My biggest mistake was in tents, went through four before I found one that I was really happy with ( expensive learning curve). The trail is cheap, it is the towns that siphon the money out of your pockets. Good luck and have fun, maybe cross your path on my sobo.

jeffmeh
05-01-2014, 18:55
Food costs need to put in context, as you would be eating whether thru-hiking or not. A reasonable way to look at it would be to take your thru-hike food costs net of your normal food costs for the time period. :)

Coffee
05-01-2014, 20:43
From an economic perspective, in many cases, by far the highest cost of a five month hike is the opportunity cost of lost earnings. That's why so many thru hikers are either young, with limited earnings potential, or retired.

BTW, I like the Hayek quote. The Road to Serfdom is one of my favorite books.

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:41
I have a year of downtime, following the end of July.

I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail from January-August. My Aunt did it in her late 30s and it was a life changing experience for her. I'm in shape (a long distance runner) but don't have much experience hiking because I've lived in Nebraska and Missouri my entire life. I have a savings of about $10,000 now and intend to earn an additional $3,000 over the summer, so I think I can swing this financially. My questions are, specifically:

1) How do I train for a hike like this when there are few places to hike? Should I just go on long walks with my backpack?

Thanks, everyone! I'd love your feedback, and if anyone would like to talk to me PM/via email, I'm open to that. I think networking will be very important in this goal of mine.

I also will be starting in January...you won't be too alone out there. I also am new to the hiking scene. HOWEVER, I have done some research over the years quite extensively.

1) Training would be a good idea...you already are in shape, but getting your body used to walking with the pack would be good. I honestly carried a pack as I did my yearly amusement parking this year...I walked about 10-15 miles per day with the pack. I live in Florida, so I had no way to simulate the mountains...

2) Some people hike with $1,500

3) Just as safe as regular life..there will be some of us out there with you. I will be there.

4) I have been getting negative reviews about starting in January. I personally am going to do it anyways.

5) Try not to tell to many people that your hiking alone.

Odd Man Out
08-10-2014, 21:53
I am currently reading Becoming Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr-Davis. It's about a young woman without much hiking experience who thru hikes the AT. You might find this relevant. And if you are not familiar with the author, Google her to find out what else she has done WRT hiking the AT ;)

DavidNH
08-10-2014, 23:13
At the risk of repeating what's already been said (and I didn't bother reading every thread):

You train by doing a couple weekend or even weeklong backpacks before hand. If you aren't already in shape the trail will get you in shape. The backpacks before hand are to let you now if you actually like hiking, being alone in the woods, and dealing with inclement weather.

below 3 grand? yes it's possible but not really feasible in 2015. You will want a couple luxuries now and then like hotels or hostels. Plan on 5000.

a Woman is very safe on the trail. the guys will look out for you (depending of course.. there is of course the pink blazing phenom wink wink)

Bad idea to start in January. You'd need to be ready for full winter conditions (0 degrees, ice, snow). Do yourself a favor and start in late March. Conditions will be far improved.

Biggest advice.. allow for at least six months. Take your time and enjoy it. If you do trail in 5 months fine but at least allow yourself six months.

Don H
08-11-2014, 07:33
I also will be starting in January...you won't be too alone out there. I also am new to the hiking scene. HOWEVER, I have done some research over the years quite extensively.

4) I have been getting negative reviews about starting in January. I personally am going to do it anyways.

Gunner, I read your post http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105619-Winter-Thru-Hiking
You had several very experienced hikers give you some excellent advice and insight.

Will you be posting your progress or keeping an online journal? I'm interested in how you make out.

Gunner1776
08-11-2014, 10:12
Gunner, I read your post http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105619-Winter-Thru-Hiking
You had several very experienced hikers give you some excellent advice and insight.

Will you be posting your progress or keeping an online journal? I'm interested in how you make out.

Yes, I will have a journal here as well as post videos to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCycqK4BmPrhn5dwBltHGUxw