PDA

View Full Version : Where have you seen Rattle snakes on the AT?

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2014, 12:11
Where have you seen Rattle snakes on the AT?

rafe
04-30-2014, 12:23
In the Smokies and in PA. Your poll won't let me choose both.

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2014, 12:47
I wanted people to have to choose where they have seen the most, not in general where they have seen them. If it is a broad range then just post here like you did thanks!

Kerosene
04-30-2014, 12:55
I've covered 2000 miles of the AT, plus another couple of hundred miles on other trails, and have never seen a live rattler. My preference to hike in cooler temps has likely contributed to this, but still. I'm not complaining, and I'll bet a few rattlers have seen me scuttling by and simply ignored me.

mikec
04-30-2014, 13:04
I saw more snakes in general between the Delaware River and the Hudson River than anywhere else on the trail.

HikerMom58
04-30-2014, 13:17
I've seen them on the trail in VA, PA & NC. I saw 2 copperheads right before Erwin, TN.

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2014, 13:40
I saw more snakes in general between the Delaware River and the Hudson River than anywhere else on the trail.

I'll second that! Hiked there in late May of 2011 and I've never seen so many in an area that size. I ended up photographing and identifying a half dozen species that i'd never seen before. There were no problems though, the snakes were all every eager to get out of our way, they wanted nothing to so with us.

The info i read st the AMC Mohecan Outdoor center said that most rattlesnake bites on the trail were the result of people trying to pick them up and getting bit in the hand or arm in the process, it also said that the majority of snakebite victims had been drinking alcohol at the time of the incident.

bamboo bob
04-30-2014, 13:44
Profile of snakebite victim = male, under 25, "investigating" the snake, alcohol involved.

Trebor66
04-30-2014, 13:59
Saw this guy between Black Gap Shelter and Springer Mountain.26873

Coffee
04-30-2014, 14:18
I have heard, but never seen, rattlers in Shenandoah National Park during the summer months. I didn't see or hear any on my recent hike probably due to the colder weather.

full conditions
04-30-2014, 14:37
I regularly see them both north and south of NOC below about 4,500 ft especially in the drier, sunnier areas - esp. in pine-oak association forests. In the last 35 years of hiking in the Nantahalas I've probably seen about 25 - 30. Plenty o' Copperheads as well.

Seatbelt
04-30-2014, 14:43
Saw one while climbig "Jacob's Ladder" one afternoon. He did not want to move, so I went around him.

Shipfixer
04-30-2014, 15:06
I almost stepped on one just north of Blue Mountain Road in New Jersey. Never saw it till I was almost on him. It moved at the last minute & I did the "two-step" to avoid him! He moved about 4 feet off the trail, coiled up and rattled!

MDSection12
04-30-2014, 15:12
Profile of snakebite victim = male, under 25, "investigating" the snake, alcohol involved.
Yup. I see them all the time, though never on the AT. I had to move one for the first time the other day, since he blocked my path, and used a ten foot stick and a gentle touch. He was very calm, didn't seem to mind at all. I wouldn't do it unless necessary though. Usually I admire for a minute and keep moving.

BerkshireBill
04-30-2014, 16:00
I've only seen one rattlesnake (period), and it was on the south side of Mt. Race, in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, about 5 miles north of the Connecticut border, on the AT. It was basking in the sun and looked like it was trying to digest something large.

Game Warden
04-30-2014, 18:19
Pennsylvania for me, because I live and mostly hike in PA. I recently attended a class on PA venomous snakes where I learned the following, culled from emergency room data: Most snakebite victims are male, bitten on the hands, and have consumed alcohol immediately prior to the incident.

As a professional outdoorsman, my advice is: Don't drink around snakes; don't pick up snakes; don't be male. Follow these three simple rules and you will be OK.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2014, 18:25

Yea I remember seeing that in 2002 of "Without a Trace" didn't the teen beat - oh sorry there may be peta types lurking .... Antagonize the snake with a Leki? :eek:

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2014, 19:02
Pennsylvania for me, because I live and mostly hike in PA. I recently attended a class on PA venomous snakes where I learned the following, culled from emergency room data: Most snakebite victims are male, bitten on the hands, and have consumed alcohol immediately prior to the incident.

As a professional outdoorsman, my advice is: Don't drink around snakes; don't pick up snakes; don't be male. Follow these three simple rules and you will be OK.

They never bother to check if the snakes have besn drinking...I think it's a coverup.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2014, 19:19
I never tried to pick up snakes... I have caught many locally and dropped them off in my backyard... scared the crap out my son once... wish I had video... recently I noticed I don't have any shelter mice.

you would not want me for a neighbor - I apparently party all night long.

Woo

rafe
04-30-2014, 19:19
They never bother to check if the snakes have besn drinking...I think it's a coverup.

Sometimes the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.

Thanks for the chuckles.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2014, 09:04
3 nice big live ones in PA.

evyck da fleet
05-01-2014, 18:21
I saw one at a campsite in the Smoky Mtns, in PA before Port Clinton and I almost stepped on one in NJ. I saw some local kids with a dead one at the shelter past McAfee Knob in VA. I also saw pictures taken by other hikers of rattlers before DWG and Palmerton in Pa and somewhere in Shenandoah.

stillatit
05-01-2014, 20:19
"Don't be male"---now that's funny!

I almost stepped on two Eastern rattlers out sunbathing on some rocks where the trail dropped off on both sides on Stony Mtn. E of Duncannon, PA. It was so narrow there that it was impossible to avoid the rocks they were on. I only saw them after I heard them rattle and was just past them. Fortunately, my moving along at a good clip and just missing stepping on them prob. saved me from being bitten. Also they were amply present at the OLD Rausch Gap Shelter (same general area) before the great folks who manage that section rebuilt that terribly mouse-ridden shelter. They may no longer be present there with the mouse population down.

I've seen plenty of copperheads at various places along the trail, including PA, MD, and VA. I'm glad they eat the mice.

MDSection12
05-01-2014, 20:35
A rattler in PA is a timber rattler (crotalus horridus) not an Eastern diamondback rattler (crotalus adamanteus).

Odd Man Out
05-01-2014, 20:37
I saw one in MD. I guess that makes it the "most". It was in the late 1960's.

moose717
05-02-2014, 14:12
Rattlesnake ridge in NJ in September. Scared the you know what out of me for about 3 seconds, then it turned into a "photo op." Sucker wouldn't move off the trail either ... I had to bushwack around him!

fins1838
05-02-2014, 17:39
About 10 miles south of Port Clinton. Big 1.

chfdwolfpack
05-03-2014, 21:32
Last one was a timber rattlesnake in the northern end of SNP. It was in July, around 9am. The guy was just catching some rays right in the middle of the trail. I just missed stepping on it, yet it never coiled or rattled. After a brief standoff and a photo shoot, it slowly moved off the trail.

Astro
05-03-2014, 21:40

I feel better now since I (will) meet none of the last three criteria. :)

Game Warden
05-03-2014, 22:32
Stillatit, Stony Mountain is known as a good place to find all kinds of snakes, especially on the rocky faces of the southern exposure. I carry a stick and do lots of tapping to let them know I coming through.

SpoonsMcgoo
05-03-2014, 23:18
I met half of a dozen of them last year between 501 shelter and Lehigh Gap. Was not the highlight of my hike.

lemon b
05-04-2014, 09:06
Pa. is where I've seen the best population.
I' n the trail regular around Oct Mtn. in Ma. and have been lucky enough to have seen one twice in the Walling Mt. area as I headed NB toward the pond. Thanked my higher power in Ma. for letting me see that mother nature is alive and well still in these parts. Grateful 99.9 percent of others who venture out and are given that gift to see that critter still able to manage our winters share my feelings.

Sanna
05-06-2014, 21:23
Ran into this one catching some sun on the side of the trail- just past Woody Gap
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/ajeveba8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rural Swelley
07-20-2014, 20:03
I had a brief encounter with this one on in SNP on Friday (07/18), where the AT circles Loft Mountain campground. Being female, British, and not drunk at the time, I said "hello, snake" and politely waited for it to move off the trail...

Deacon
07-20-2014, 21:29
This one was on the approach trail halfway between AFSP and Springer on May 21st this year. He was coiled and rattling. Had to bushwhacked around him.

johnnybgood
07-20-2014, 21:30
I had a brief encounter with this one on in SNP on Friday (07/18), where the AT circles Loft Mountain campground. Being female, British, and not drunk at the time, I said "hello, snake" and politely waited for it to move off the trail...

That's one impressive looking snake there . I've never seen one THAT large (width or length) in the park . I have seen 4 rattlers in SNP, all have been about the same size as this one.

Apollyon
07-21-2014, 07:08
that is correct. eastern db lives along the coast in more southern regions. all the pics I have seen in this thread are the timber rattler and most are fully grown. definitely best left alone but not aggressive unless threatened.

A rattler in PA is a timber rattler (crotalus horridus) not an Eastern diamondback rattler (crotalus adamanteus).

squeezebox
07-21-2014, 08:15
I know a woman who is a main violinist for the St. Louis symphony. She grew up in a family that played old tyme country music. Old square dance music.
So Isaac Pearlman is in town for a gig with the symphony. He's giving Becky a lesson on what's to be performed that evening. He says " no no that's not I mean, give me your violin and I'll show you". She does. There's this little tinkle tinkle from the violin. Isaac- "What's this?" Becky- " It's a rattlesnake tail, it keeps the devil out of your fiddle!"
Isaac- "Well that's a good thing"

squeezebox
07-21-2014, 08:20
I wonder what I should put inside my accordion to keep the devil or the stupid out of it?
I'ld think Loki is in charge of accordions. not evil just mischief.

juniorace
09-25-2014, 22:26
Saw two rattlers during third week of May this year. One at Rocky Top, and the other stretched across the trail between there and Clingman's Dome. Neither one showed any aggressive behavior, or even rattled for that matter.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-15-2014, 17:38
https://m.facebook.com/Bob1069/photos/a.204795199534545.66029.203155679698497/607066489307412/?type=1&source=57&ref=m_notif&notif_t=share_reply

Don't know if this will show up but a fellow hog hunting came across a rattle snake 9 FOOT LONG, 5 INCH HEAD, 2.5 INCHES FANGS!!! Holy mutant rattle snake!!

Traveler
10-16-2014, 07:37
I recall years ago it was fairly rare to see a rattlesnake in New England outside of a couple of protected den sites (one being in the Schaghticoke mountain area just off the AT). Lately it is becoming more common to see them along the AT out of NY state into Southern MA, especially on the Riga plateau on a summer morning. Could be climate change is creating a better environment for them to survive better in this area or the population has expanded and there are new den sites that allow more propagation. Fortunately these are timber rattlesnakes that are fairly non aggressive, but will give you a good scare if they rattle as you walk up on or next to them.

Pedaling Fool
10-16-2014, 08:45
No, not climate change, they are part of that ecosystem, period http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/rattlesn.html Some even extend to Southern Canada.

If, in fact, their population is increasing, it's probably for the same reason as many other animals, such as the bear, cougar and numerous others. We have become more mindful of preservation. It was a very common mindset when I was growning up to automatically kill things, like rattlesnakes, because they were seen as "dangerous" and a threat.

Fortunately, that mindset is changing.

Just Tom
10-16-2014, 14:58
Three of us were hiking the AT near Bulls Bridge, CT and came across this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvtW-0x2ltU (my son's YouTube page)

My 11 year old son was leading us by about 100 feet and came to an abrupt halt and said "I hear a strange buzz".

Did he ever!

redseal
10-18-2014, 11:54
I've only ever seen one rattlesnake on the trail. It was a baby snake on the trail in CT and not the usual PA locations.

runt13
10-18-2014, 12:27
1 at/in sunfish pond [DWG'] swimming along the edge by the AT [I must have scared/chased it because that water is real cold], 3 along the fire road by Rattlesnake swamp on the way to catfish fire tower. All in the fall, late September early October.

Saw one hiding in the rock wall, by the furnace near the AT museum in PA a few weeks back.

RUNT ''13''

jjozgrunt
10-19-2014, 20:53
Personally I just give them a wide birth if I see them and would be happy not to see a rattler while I'm in the USA. But being Australian, snakes don't bother me, most get out of your way and if they don't you go around them. The rattler is a long way down the list of venomous snakes so I'm not particularly worried about them.

There are lots of different list for which snakes are the most venomous and a lot depends on how much venom is injected, if any, if the snake makes multiple strikes etc. Here is a list that actually measures the toxicity of the venom. Bugger we have lots of things that can bite and kill you here. http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-19-2014, 23:38
Personally I just give them a wide birth if I see them and would be happy not to see a rattler while I'm in the USA. But being Australian, snakes don't bother me, most get out of your way and if they don't you go around them. The rattler is a long way down the list of venomous snakes so I'm not particularly worried about them.

There are lots of different list for which snakes are the most venomous and a lot depends on how much venom is injected, if any, if the snake makes multiple strikes etc. Here is a list that actually measures the toxicity of the venom. Bugger we have lots of things that can bite and kill you here. http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

I was worried to death when my daughter came over there jjozgrunt and spent 5 days in the backcountry. You all have some wicked creatures over there. Fortunately she survived all the perils :)

Seatbelt
10-20-2014, 12:54

Most lists of venomous snakes also list the Black Mamba at or near the top. Curious as to why it is not even mentioned on this list??

jjozgrunt
10-22-2014, 09:32
Most lists of venomous snakes also list the Black Mamba at or near the top. Curious as to why it is not even mentioned on this list??

From what I understand the list is just how toxic the venom is in relation to the amount in mg needed to kill a mouse. Some snakes are more deadly even though their venom is not as toxic, because they inject a lot of venom when they bite or habitually strike a number of times. Also how the venom works on the victim comes into play. The Inland Taipan is usually at the top of most list because it's venom is very toxic and it usually bites repeatably and injects a large amount of venom with each bite.

But if you leave the wriggly sticks alone then you avoid being bitten in the first place.

strido
11-07-2014, 16:35
Not on the trail, but I did see one about 10 years ago near the Blue Hills while I was working in Westwood, MA. The Blue Hills are in Canton, but not too far as the snake slithers...

Woodturner
03-20-2015, 17:36
Many years apart..
Medium sized black phase about six miles south of Port Clinton.
Years later, one yellow phase and one black phase, both huge, and one being used as a pillow by an equally huge copperhead north of Eckville. The next day I stepped right over a small copperhead before I knew it was there.

Cookerhiker
03-20-2015, 20:02
My AT section hiking included most of PA in snake season but never saw nor heard a rattler.

Only saw 2 copperheads: one in Shenandoah NP in early May, one in PA near Wind Gap in September.

Saw a big rattler on the Allegheny Trail in WV, heard but didn't see one on a trail in Ramsay's Draft Wilderness in VA.

2NewKnees
03-29-2015, 21:25
Heard and saw 2 rattlesnakes in Nantahala on the way down to the NOC heading north on the AT in NC.

Stepinwolfe
03-30-2015, 14:29
In PA, a few miles south of DWG.

peakbagger
03-30-2015, 17:35
The authorities in New England have busted a couple of groups of folks who clean out dens and sell them. They post on outdoors forums and act like newbies asking specific questions on locations. Apparently if someone knows what they are doing they can wipe out a population in a very short time. Generally if one of those posts appear they get shut down pretty quickly. I saw some one post an obvious photo of timber rattler in an usual location once and the post disappeared quite quickly. (Nothing wrong with an informational post like this one, just avoid given exact locations).

One of the bigger timber rattler dens in southern VT was purchased by a individual specifically to protect them.

On my sections saw a couple in NY and NJ. North of DWG seems to be prime habitat.

jbwood5
03-30-2015, 19:29
New York State on rocks above Greenwood Lake. Three (or possible more that I didn't now of) as I passed through. Otherwise, almost never. It is generally a non-issue.

wornoutboots
04-02-2015, 20:44
Large Rattler right out front or Double Springs Shelter in the Smokies

ChuckP
04-08-2015, 19:04
Saw a 3-4 footer this past weekend right on the trail while climbing Kelly Knob NB in GA. Good thing he rattled, otherwise I would probably have stepped on him.

Jedeye
04-08-2015, 20:42
My close call with a timber rattler was at one of the shelters in NC. Sat on the edge with legs hanging down and heard him rattle directly under me. Hopped up, moved to the other edge and looked under the shelter and there he was all curled up. But I have seen them in GA, NC and PA.

ChuckP
04-10-2015, 16:01
Not to scare anyone, but you would think rattlers would habituate shelters as they are full of their dietary staple: mice.

Crabapple
04-11-2015, 14:49
3 in NC, 2 in VA, 1 in NY

Could we do this same poll for Copperhead snakes? How common/uncommon are they? I once saw a mom and babies in a rock crack at a small look-out south of Devil's Racecourse Shelter in MD.....and that was on my fourth day of the trail. :)

gunner76
04-13-2015, 13:27
Found two cane break rattlers in my garage a few years ago...does that count ?

I took them out into the local NF and released them.

tim.hiker
04-13-2015, 13:40
Not to scare anyone, but you would think rattlers would habituate shelters as they are full of their dietary staple: mice.Thanks. lol I always worry about that even tho I am not scared of snakes, waking up with you would cause me to crap my shorts..

tim.hiker
04-13-2015, 14:44
Thanks. lol I always worry about that even tho I am not scared of snakes, waking up with you would cause me to crap my shorts..
*** waking up with one

RockDoc
04-13-2015, 15:16
Hawk Mtn, Penn, 1974. Killed it and took it to the next shelter where we skinned it and cooked it on a stick. We convinced a bunch of Boy Scouts that it tasted really good (it was awful). They ate most of it. We also talked them out of some of their freeze dried food.
Yes young (17) long distance hikers can have a strange sense of humor. Too many hours walking in the woods...

r2davis65
05-31-2015, 16:59
Two big boys near Tray Mountain Shelter in late May 2015.

ChrisJackson
05-31-2015, 17:58
Saw one today just north of Low Gap in Georgia. Saw one about three weeks ago going up Cowrock Mtn after Tesnatee Gap. (Both were rattlesnakes).

map man
05-31-2015, 18:34
I'd never seen any in a decade of backpacking in various parts of the country, and then I saw two in the same day (May 20, 2015) about an hour apart in the last few northbound miles before I got to Hot Springs, NC on a section hike. My attitude toward rattlesnakes is the same as for all the other reptiles or mammals I've come across in the wild -- that I am a visitor in their home. In the case of both rattlesnakes I waited for them to move out of striking distance and I continued hiking. You go your way and I'll go mine, as Bob Dylan once sang.

fboggess
07-13-2015, 22:24
Anything of concern from Max Patch to Hot Springs. I will be out there in a few days and checking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
07-14-2015, 07:58
I have since learned that there are snakes of danger, and rattlesnakes as well pretty much from beginning to end. Although I have done over 700 miles of the AT (688 + some repeats) and have never seen a rattle snake, but have hiked in less rural areas and seen them in TN and NC both.

jersey joe
07-14-2015, 11:46
One day I saw two in a row in NJ. Not coincidentally, just south of rattlesnake mountain.

Etoryn
07-17-2015, 16:07
One near the housatonic river in CT a timber rattlesnake

u.w.
07-17-2015, 20:58
Saw my first one on my most recent section hike, from Pearisburg to Troutville (7/2 - 7/6). It was up on the ridge walk between Keffer Oak and Niday Shelter. Got a few photos, and went around it - leaving it well enough alone. Was beautiful though
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/455/19163680274_858a7877e8_c.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/19163680314_6788f44d38_c.jpg

and it's backside after I'd gone around to continue north
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/19163680334_429c8635e8_c.jpg

u.w.

carouselambra
09-08-2015, 16:48
Saw two this weekend between Highway 60/Buena Vista and Waynesboro. First one was just north of Salt Log Gap. My son and I were walking and all of the sudden the rattle lit up. It was a large one coiled up about 8-10 feet off the trail with the head cocked and the rattle up high. We took an arc just off the trail and did not stick around long enough to take a picture or video. It rattled until we were ten yards or so past. Our first experience with that and it was startling. The second one was at the Paul Wolfe shelter. At about 9:30pm we decided to walk to find a clearing to see the stars better and between our tent site and the shelter was a 2.5'-3' rattler slowly making its way across the main path. We are glad we had our headlamps on.

Lnj
09-09-2015, 15:04
I'd never seen any in a decade of backpacking in various parts of the country, and then I saw two in the same day (May 20, 2015) about an hour apart in the last few northbound miles before I got to Hot Springs, NC on a section hike. My attitude toward rattlesnakes is the same as for all the other reptiles or mammals I've come across in the wild -- that I am a visitor in their home. In the case of both rattlesnakes I waited for them to move out of striking distance and I continued hiking. You go your way and I'll go mine, as Bob Dylan once sang.
May I ask what is considered "striking distance"? For future reference, of course....:eek:

swisscross
09-09-2015, 15:09
May I ask what is considered "striking distance"? For future reference, of course....:eek:

Typically 1/2 their body length.

Traveler
09-09-2015, 15:39

Swiss is pretty accurate. I use a measurement thats not defined by the snake, but defined by my own comfort. If I don't feel comfortable at a given distance, I give it a little more. The 10 foot rule suits me fine, but thats a little overboard.

Lnj
09-09-2015, 16:34
So here's a question..... if you are walking along a narrow trail with green ground cover on both sides and hear the rattle, but see nothing, do you keep walking, knowing it is near and probably on the side of the trail and hope you are out of striking distance, or do you stop and try to guesstimate where it is and go the other way?

Just Tom
09-09-2015, 19:37
If you are close enough for it to rattle, don't go forward. It is rattling for a reason...

Traveler
09-10-2015, 06:32
The rattlesnakes I have crossed slithers with start rattling when they get concerned I was too close to them and continued for a while. When that happens I stop dead and use the rattle to locate it, which I have usually been able to fairly quickly, but they blend in so well to their surroundings it can take a few minutes. I will then back away and if I can move around it safely I will, otherwise I wait for it to move off on its own.

Where I tend to keep a sharp eye out is at the edge of the trail where there is some light huckleberry or brush overhanging rocks the sun is hitting. They will sometimes coil up there to warm up and can be very difficult to spot if they don't rattle (some won't).

Tuckahoe
09-10-2015, 07:47
Saw two this weekend between Highway 60/Buena Vista and Waynesboro. First one was just north of Salt Log Gap. My son and I were walking and all of the sudden the rattle lit up. It was a large one coiled up about 8-10 feet off the trail with the head cocked and the rattle up high. We took an arc just off the trail and did not stick around long enough to take a picture or video. It rattled until we were ten yards or so past. Our first experience with that and it was startling. The second one was at the Paul Wolfe shelter. At about 9:30pm we decided to walk to find a clearing to see the stars better and between our tent site and the shelter was a 2.5'-3' rattler slowly making its way across the main path. We are glad we had our headlamps on.

Just about three weeks back now, it was along this section that I saw my first two rattlesnakes.

Three of us left camp in the area of Seely-Woodsworth Shelter and were heading to Cow Camp Gap for the night. A few miles up the trail I was a couple hundred yards ahead of my two buddies and when I got to Wolf Rocks I thought it was a perfect spot to wait for them to catch up, and once they did we figured it was a perfect spot to take a break.

Brian walks over to the rocks and after a few moments comes back and said we should check it out, that there was a neat cove formed by the rocks. Hunter and I walk back into the rocks, and Brian was right, but the surrounding rocks of the cove blocked what looked to be a great view. I climbed up the rocks and the view was awesome. Looked down at Hunter and told him he needed to climb up for the view. Problem was the top of the rock was too narrow for even just myself, so I jumped over the laurel growing out of a crevice to a wider perch, back stopped by another large rock.

And! That is when I saw my first rattlesnake. There I am mid-jump looking down and seeing a coiled up pissed off rattler rattling away... and he aint tiny. All I could do was tell Hunter to just get out of there and go to our packs. I really didnt have to tell him, he saw and heard the snake as he was starting to come up the rock.

At that moment those rattles surely sounded like one of the Navy's electric guns... bbbbzzzzzzzz

So there I am standing on a ledge, with my back to a six foot rock and a snake between me and the way out. All I could do was wait, and he slithered off, but I kept hearing a rattle. Brian comes up to access the situation and takes a lok and spots a second rattler stretched out under the laurel still looking at me and rattling away. All I can do is keep calm and wait, and while waiting Brian CAREFULLY searches out a back way out and fiund his way up to the top of the rock behind me.

After what seemed like forever but more like 10 minutes, the second snake finally turns and goes away and as quickly as I cojld and with Brian's help I pulled myself up that rock. We got out of there, grabbed our packs and quickly hiked on down the trail, laughing about me almost getting myself "killed" and Hunter begging us not to mention the snakes to his mom... (he told his mom anyway).

Truth be told though, there was nothing to be scared of. I mean there I was getting to see what is trurly a beautiful and stunning creature and this was my first time seeing and hearing one, and all I had to do was stay calm and relaxed and it would be all good.

Dewman
09-10-2015, 11:29
I've been hiking the AT for over 20 years now, mainly in TN, NC, and GA, and just saw my first rattlesnake back in July. This bad boy was taking a nap 10 minutes north of Dick's Creek Gap.

It took me a good minute to get him to wake up (there was no easy way to go around him because of the steep slope) and when he did wake up, he was understandably cranky.

I "persuaded" him to move by tapping my hiking poles on the ground until he was like, All right; all right, I'm up!

Unfortunately for both of us, while he moved several feet off the trail, it was uphill. Because of the steep slope, he was 3 vertical feet up from the trail, but less than a foot horizontally from me as I passed. We warily eyed each other as I passed, hiking poles betwixt he and me (as if that would've helped should he have decided to strike!)

saltysack
10-29-2015, 11:28
Walked up on this timber rattler about 10 miles south of hot springs,nc this summer...moved off the trail with trekking pole.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/e0b47cbb4916f97e8a5cc59d7f88af85.jpghttps://vimeo.com/144010042

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtWokman
10-30-2015, 23:31
There WAS one at deep gap shelter. About 4 and a half footer.
Sorry.
I gave the rattler to my son he's 7.
Now I'm the coolest dad ever.(at least to him)

saltysack
11-04-2015, 22:03
There WAS one at deep gap shelter. About 4 and a half footer.
Sorry.
I gave the rattler to my son he's 7.
Now I'm the coolest dad ever.(at least to him)

I'm not into snakes but killing them is dumb...they are one of the few things that eat the nasty disease carrying mice that live around the shelters. I believe it's illegal to kill timber rattlers....

August W.
11-06-2015, 20:17
I'm not into snakes but killing them is dumb...they are one of the few things that eat the nasty disease carrying mice that live around the shelters. I believe it's illegal to kill timber rattlers....

Unfortunately it is not illegal to kill timber rattlers in GA..... insulting and pathetic as it may be. I'm not into snakes either but I'm all for keeping the "wild" in wilderness.

saltysack
11-06-2015, 20:31
Unfortunately it is not illegal to kill timber rattlers in GA..... insulting and pathetic as it may be. I'm not into snakes either but I'm all for keeping the "wild" in wilderness.

I thought I read they were protected? Maybe it was in NC? I really dislike snakes but realize they serve a vital role in nature.... Especially with all the rat traps "shelters" man has built in the wildernesses along the AT......not opening that can of worms again!!! Blow up the shelters along the AT!!!![emoji482]

Sandy of PA
11-06-2015, 23:19
Timber Rattlers are protected in PA.

Traveler
11-07-2015, 07:15
I guess being cool is more important than showing a 7 year old how best to manage encounters with snakes and other wildlife. Good job.

earlyriser26
11-07-2015, 09:03
I have been hiking the AT since 1969. I have hiked most of it. Saw my first rattlesnake last month in VA about 8 miles south of Rockfish gap.

4eyes
02-28-2016, 18:52
I saw two in the Smokies...one gigantic one right in the middle of the trail. He wasn't wanting to move, so needless to saw I blue blazed around him.

4eyes
02-28-2016, 18:53
I saw two in the Smokies...one gigantic one right in the middle of the trail. He wasn't wanting to move, so needless to saw I blue blazed around him.
to say, not saw. My bad.