PDA

View Full Version : Confused about AT books for sale

JumpMaster Blaster
04-30-2014, 20:46
<<<Caveat: I already have the Appalachian Trail Guides for the sections I'm planning on hitting this year (Tenn/NC, Southern VA) and the corresponding Nat Geo Maps.>>>

I'm looking at "The 2014 Appalachian Trail 'Thru Hikers' Companion" (by the ATLDHA), "The 2014 AT Guide (Northbound or Southbound- by David Miller), and the "2014 Appalachian Trail Data Book (by Daniel Chazin)". I know the data book is mostly numbers, but what about the other two? Which one will give me more info on what's along the way? Reading the Amazon reviews isn't really telling me much except for "This book was great".

My preference is to NOT spend $60 and get all 3 just to find out I only needed 1 or 2.

Thoughts?

Lone Wolf
04-30-2014, 20:50
get The AT Guide by Miller

BZ853
04-30-2014, 20:51
I like the one by David miller. It is a no bull straight forward guide that tells you distance from 2 points and elevation. Has town information when you hit a town and even has phone numbers for hiker friendly services in those towns.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

rafe
04-30-2014, 21:00
Just out of curiousity, how is Miller's guide better than the ALDHA guide? (I'm familiar with the latter but not the former.)

Lone Wolf
04-30-2014, 21:02
it's smaller and lighter for one thing

Coffee
04-30-2014, 21:06
The AT Guide by Miller was excellent on my recent section hike.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-30-2014, 21:42
Okay- survey says: The AT Guide by Miller.

map man
04-30-2014, 21:57
Both the Companion (I'm a life member of ALDHA so perhaps I'm biased toward the Companion) and the AT Guide are good and serve the same general purpose. Pick one -- you don't need both. If you do pick one of these there is no need for the data book as that info is included in both.

TJ aka Teej
04-30-2014, 22:30
Use the Companion or Guide for planning. Take the Data Book hiking.

CarlZ993
04-30-2014, 22:53
I'd also recommend Awol's AT Guide. I really liked the aspect of knowing the distance to the next three shelters.

Disclosure: I'm a map person. I've got tons of topo maps from everywhere I've backpacked. If you're section hiking the AT through southern VA, you really don't need to carry any topo maps. I got a topo map of the White Mtns in NH & was glad a did (confusing trails & trail names). Didn't need any for the rest of the way. Only got off trail a couple of times. Was able to double back & see my mistake.

MuddyWaters
04-30-2014, 23:07
never found a need for more than Awols guide for hiking.

Its nice to have a bit more information about some things sometimes, but not necessary for hiking.

Coffee
05-01-2014, 06:50
I carried topo maps for my last section hike mostly because I like maps and knowing the lay of the land beyond the trail corridor. The trail is so well blazed that it is hard, but not impossible, to get lost. I only actually needed my maps once when I sidetracked onto an old woods road and that was my fault. I was zoning out and only noted the lack of white blazes after some time. Used the map to verify my mistake prior to backtracking.

slbirdnerd
05-01-2014, 08:05
FYI to the OP: AWOL = David Miller--same person, same book. I carry that one (The AT Guide) and the actual map for the section I'm hiking. Like another poster above, I like paper maps.

lemon b
05-01-2014, 08:56
On the AT what I carry is the data book. Than go with word of mouth. On the Long Trail which I've done many times all I bring is a map from the GMC and actually carry a cell phone, although reception is sketchy up north and its really just for bail out help which is nice to have as one approaches 60.

Minerva
05-01-2014, 09:34
I have my original 1977 Data Book and many others since then. Somewhere along the way, it might have been in 1999, I began carrying the "Companion" and that's the only resource I use to plan my adventures along the A.T. I'd use the "Companion" for the reasons below:

The Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers' Companion contains all of the the Data Book waypoints and then some. The "Companion" also has professionally created elevation profiles in 23 mile segments per page. The entire book can be downloaded into a smart phone as a PDF file. I rarely see a thru or section hiker carry the entire book in paper format. You only need the weight of the section you're currently hiking. A "Companion" purchase directly supports the ATC. It costs less too.
Cindy

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=756&compid=1)
Appalachian Trail Guide to New Hampshire and Vermont (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=23&compid=1)
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world."

Studlintsean
05-01-2014, 11:46
Any input on using the PDF version on an iphone? I was hoping I could pick up the pocket maps (#5) for a trip next week but im not sure I will be able to get them via mail quick enough. Thanks

Minerva
05-01-2014, 12:42
I use the "Companion" PDF on my iPhone. Save the battery life in airplane mode. Lock the orientation and hold the phone horizontally to easy read the elevation profiles without the screen flipping around. You can get the PDF free with your ALDHA membership ($10 a year), non member digital download $8.

Cindy
ALDHA Companion link (http://www.aldha.org/companion.html)

Studlintsean
05-01-2014, 13:10
Thanks Cindy

JumpMaster Blaster
05-01-2014, 22:18
Excellent insight, as usual. I'm a sucker for maps- I could sit and study them for hours on end. Something about totally knowing the lay of the land interests me, even if the trail is well blazed & pretty straightforward.

Sarcasm the elf
05-01-2014, 23:16
I find that the ALDHA companion is a little bit more useful for section hiking. It contains a bit more info about road crossings and towns and in my opinion is better for figuring out logistics when I'm out for a week or two. I actually sliced mine into sections of about 30 pages each so I only carry the part ofthe guide for the section I'm hiking.

I also bought a copy of AWOLS guide last year. Like others have said it's no nonsense and contains a lot of info that is geared toward long distance hikers, but I didnt like it as much for planning shorter trips.

Starchild
05-02-2014, 07:51
I brought the pages of AWOL's book that I needed, bounded the rest, I also had the PDF of AWOL, The Companion and topo maps on my iPhone.

AWOL is IMHO better then the Companion, but the Companion has it's good points also. AWOL is layed out more in a 'graphical, spacial' format the companion more of a table and text format. I did find that having access to both useful at times but not essential. Particularly I noted that they sometimes list different shuttlers and I beleive other aspects where one would list a helpful person and the other would list a different one.

On the trail you only really want to carry one, so I would chose AWOL, but the THC also OK.