PDA

View Full Version : Article in NY Times re: Thru hikers on AT.

stupe
09-23-2005, 09:52
Saw this in today's Times On Line, thought I'd share.....

"MOST of the time, the Katahdin Stream Campground in Baxter State Park in Maine (http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/features/travel/destinations/unitedstates/maine/?inline=nyt-geo) is a simple cluster of tent sites and picnic tables. But for hundreds of northbound through hikers around this time of year, the little plot of land becomes a somewhat more meaningful place: the final staging area in their 2,175-mile journeys on the Appalachian Trail." For the rest.....http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/travel/escapes/23trail.html
The article mentions this forum and provides a link to it.

Alligator
09-23-2005, 10:48
And Blue Jay got quoted, HAHA! It was pretty tame for him, they must of clipped it. Way to go Jay.

frieden
09-23-2005, 11:08
That was a good article. Thanks, stupe.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2005, 11:13
How dare that dude light up a cigarette at the summit. It's like farting in church.

MOWGLI
09-23-2005, 11:29
It's like farting in church.

I thought that was what the incense is for? :-?

Now don't get all "incensed" at that comment. It was just a joke y'all.

Nice article, and a GREAT quote by Blue Jay. Lets see what the increase in Whiteblaze membership & traffic is as a result of this article.

Rain Man
09-23-2005, 11:57
.... Lets see what the increase in Whiteblaze membership & traffic is as a result of this article.

Well, since "bigger" is NOT "better," let's hope not too much!

Rain:sunMan

Alligator
09-23-2005, 12:06
It was a very good quote, Blue Jay's a softie inside.

stupe
09-23-2005, 22:56
How dare that dude light up a cigarette at the summit. It's like farting in church.Maybe he'll get his comeupance. "Pomola is always angry with those who climb to the summit of Ktaadn".
[Thoreau] He should maybe go back and leave a bottle of rum, the traditional gift.

Deafsmart
09-24-2005, 00:04
the worn brown sign that reads "Katahdin: Northern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail...Once you touch that sign, the money world says 'you're mine.' My advice, don't touch it. Take your picture near it, but whatever you do don't touch it."

I couldn't find such threads in Whiteblaze.net on bad luck to touch Big K sign. NY Times Writer Sarah Tuff also states
Some hikers believe... is hardly a stats. It is like I among vast of those tourists who drank Fountain of Youth that we drew from years back in St. Augustine is declare poison and I am going to die. Ahh, Dorothy you sprinkle water on me. NO noooo!

Mountain Hippie
09-24-2005, 01:13
The quote came from this thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9666 Scroll down to #7.

MacGyver2005
09-24-2005, 10:47
Thanks so much for sharing that. Now I need to get my hands on a copy of the newspaper article!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

HikerHobo
09-24-2005, 10:56
How dare that dude light up a cigarette at the summit. It's like farting in church.
Usually, past offenders and exsmokers protest the loudest !!!

Lone Wolf
09-24-2005, 11:52
I'm neither.

MOWGLI
09-24-2005, 12:01
Usually, past offenders and exsmokers protest the loudest !!!

I'm neither.

What do you mean? You've offended lots of people! :D

Deafsmart
09-25-2005, 00:34
The quote came from this thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9666 Scroll down to #7.
Not the quote. :datz Oh my, here's 5 "W" and 1 "H." Pay attention, I say:
W_h_e_r_e does that premotion to touch big brown sign comes from? Whose idea to say this deed is a bad omen? What evidence would be bad luck to perform our bodily contact by standing on Big K sign or touching or even kissing? When was first and current cases of bad lucks? And why is that? How many of you believe this tall tale?

I could do Jackie Gleason's rebuttal to Ralph like in "Honeymooner," but hey that's not me. That sum to it all. :rolleyes:

Mountain Hippie
09-25-2005, 02:48
Sorry about that. I guess I should have stayed out of it. In the future I shall.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2005, 05:41
One time me and some cronies were gonna get to Baxter Peak early and take the sign down and hide it so the purists couldn't get their goofy Katahdin pics. That's the only reason they hike.

MOWGLI
09-25-2005, 08:07
W_h_e_r_e does that premotion to touch big brown sign comes from? Whose idea to say this deed is a bad omen? What evidence would be bad luck to perform our bodily contact by standing on Big K sign or touching or even kissing? When was first and current cases of bad lucks? And why is that? How many of you believe this tall tale?

Read the quote again S_l_o_W_l_y. There is some real truth in what Blue Jay says, regardless of his point about touching the sign. Anyway, traditions have to start sometime. Why not now?

In my office I do have the poster entitled End of the Journey on my wall. I think he's touching the sign. :eek:

Lone Wolf
09-25-2005, 08:09
I'm gonna re-start the fording of the Kennebec tradition.

Frosty
09-25-2005, 09:52
I'm gonna re-start the fording of the Kennebec tradition.The Kennebec's only a couple of feet deep early in the morning. Ford the Hudson. Not THAT would be a worthy tradition.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2005, 09:55
Damn Frosty, you've ruined the mystique of the Kennebec being a mighty deep and treacherous ford.

Red Hat
09-26-2005, 11:18
Wow, I had hiked or met at one time or other with all of the hikers mentioned except BlueJay. I spent the night in Waynesboro at the church hostel with Masa. Super nice guy, we talked about his mother at home. He was getting pressure to go back to Japan. Walked through the Shenandoahs a couple of days with Croc and Brittanica. She loved it, he didn't, just like the article. I gave Hardcore a pink hat to wear on Katahdin, to represent the Red Hat Society. (it doesn't say if she wore it or not....) Anyway, an excellent article that brought back many memories. Red Hat

titanium_hiker
09-26-2005, 12:32
end of article- "then he lighted a cigarette" (emphasis mine)
oops! that one got past the editor- wouldn't lit be more correct?

am I right in interpreting BlueJay- touch it and it's over, don't touch it and you can hike again?

titanium

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 12:50
That didn't get past the editor at all. "Lighted" is grammatically correct.

max patch
09-26-2005, 12:57
One time me and some cronies were gonna get to Baxter Peak early and take the sign down and hide it so the purists couldn't get their goofy Katahdin pics. That's the only reason they hike.

Idiot.....

Lone Wolf
09-26-2005, 13:02
Thanks Maxie! :D

Lilred
09-26-2005, 15:03

I could do Jackie Gleason's rebuttal to Ralph like in "Honeymooner," but hey that's not me. That sum to it all. :rolleyes:

"IMO and I believe many others, the largest problem by far is reaching the Big K. You have had some of the most joyous times of your life, building to a massive emotional climax, then you're sitting in a car, bus, train or plane with the rug pulled out from under you. Once you touch that sign, the money world says "you're mine". My advice, don't touch it. Take your picture near it, but what ever you do don't touch it. "

DeafSmart,
Have you ever heard of figurative speech? He starts with saying it's his opinion, and he's right, it's other's opinion too, including mine. When I first read this post on here, I was immediately struck by the image it invoked. It is Blue Jay's poetic way of saying don't end the journey. It is pure poetry and I think beautifully written. Well done Blue Jay.

Big Dawg
09-26-2005, 15:11
When I finally finish my section hike,, my big paw prints will be all over that sign. :D To each his own,,,, no bad luck to me.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 15:15
I have NEVER heard that it was unlucky to touch or kiss the sign, and can't imagine where this belief started.

I have heard of one hiker who got to the top of Katahdin and deliberately refused to touch the sign so that his trip never had to come to an end.

As to kissing the sign, which just about everyone does, I've seen all sorts of unusual things taking place up there, including celebratory hikers in various states of undress. Some of these folks are in poses best left to the imagination.

And as a result of the above, there are some parts of that sign that you probably don't really wanna kiss, unless you plan to gargle with bourbon right after puckering up.

Footslogger
09-26-2005, 15:33
As to kissing the sign, which just about everyone does, I've seen all sorts of unusual things taking place up there, including celebratory hikers in various states of undress. Some of these folks are in poses best left to the imagination.

And as a result of the above, there are some parts of that sign that you probably don't really wanna kiss, unless you plan to gargle with bourbon right after puckering up.=============================
You gotta way with words man ....

'Slogger

Miss Janet
09-30-2005, 14:16
Just be careful where you kiss that sign...

I have a few summit pics with nekid body parts touching all differents parts of that sign.