PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Park has joined the Facebook.

TJ aka Teej
04-30-2014, 22:42
Baxter Park (https://www.facebook.com/baxterstatepark)
It's the end of the world as we know it.

barich942
02-11-2015, 12:47
Very ingeresting.

ki0eh
04-29-2015, 10:11
I was also surprised to find there is now an online reservation system, that almost works (i.e. I got an error message just after pressing the "this hits your credit card press button only once" button, but there was also an e-mail with a camping permit).

peakbagger
04-29-2015, 12:02
The online system has worked for me in the past to book parking places.

4eyedbuzzard
04-29-2015, 12:34
Okay, I guess it's all right as long as they don't put in a summit cam :-? :eek:

Mags
04-29-2015, 12:41
Smart move IMO. If they want to reach people in an effective manner, an online presence is mandatory. Getting the word out about policies, LNT, warnings, closures, etc is looked for more and more online. Facebook is a start. If they want to reach the 20-somethings, Twitter and Instagram (esp!) would be the next step.

We can joke about the trend..but to wish it weren't so? Well, may as well be King Canute asking the sea to retreat.

4eyedbuzzard
04-29-2015, 13:25
IMO, if Baxter is joining the modern world so to speak, this also raises the question of data access within the park itself, which is very spotty at best. If the intent of having an online presence is to reach people and get the word out, it would seem that reaching people already in the park with "policies, LNT, warnings, closures, etc.", would also be desirable. I'm told you can get data service above treeline, but on any given day that won't be the majority of people in the park. Just a thought.

LoneStranger
04-29-2015, 14:07
They joined FB a long time ago and the world did not stop turning. It is a nice way of keeping those who care updated on current park conditions and goings on. The running Chimney Pond snow depth reports are a winter tradition as are the spring road condition reports that have just taken a new form on this platform.

The BSP offices are not in the park and have had running water and electricity for years :) Their online reservation system was down for a few weeks last month, but I've been using it for years both to make reservations and to keep an eye on vacancies for trip planning. They have no problem with modern technologies. They just draw the line at the park boundaries with solar arrays to power radio systems being about the only concession they've made.

For people who appreciate what they are doing BSP is a great place to visit. Let's hope that never changes.